View Full Version : Handango and Export Control Countries.

maximus
06-02-2004, 01:39 AM
I tried to purchased a game from handango earlier this morning, and got a very funny response =)

When I checked out, I entered my indonesia credit card number, click "submit" .. and it gave me a message "Sorry, We cannot execute the transaction due to you are living on an export control country" ...

Ok, so I checkout again, using my singapore credit card, and choose "singapore" as the country of origin, click "submit" ... and ... "Sorry, We cannot execute the transaction due to you are living on an export control country".

At first, I am tempted to use the third credit card registered from my home country as a last try, but then I think ... why bother ? :devilboy:

So Singapore is included in the U.S. export control country list by this handango? That's new ! :mrgreen: I wonder if that is legal. I thought only the U.S. Department of Justice (or another U.S. Department of Something) can include countries in the export control list :?:

And I thought that the Export Control regulations only covers high tech applications, such as 1024 bit encryption, missile guidance software .. etc. etc. ? I dont think a game is all that high tech, right ? Maybe I am missing anything here.

ChristopherTD
06-02-2004, 06:36 AM
Maybe by "export control" they really mean, we don't want to export to these countries because of the high level of credit card fraud originating there.

BTW, I am in no way suggesting that your cards are dodgy!

maximus
06-02-2004, 06:49 AM
Boohoo. Wouldn't it be easier to just say "Sorry, due to the high rate of credit card fraud from your country, we currently not accepting transaction from your country".

Or. Just remove "indonesia" and "singapore" from the drop down list on the checkout page.

Steven Cedrone
06-02-2004, 12:12 PM
Boohoo. Wouldn't it be easier to just say "Sorry, due to the high rate of credit card fraud from your country, we currently not accepting transaction from your country".

Or. Just remove "indonesia" and "singapore" from the drop down list on the checkout page.

Have you emailed them with your questions/concerns?

Steve

maximus
06-04-2004, 02:11 AM
Naah ... being a newlywed (the explanation of my being absent for around 2 months from this forum? 8)), taking care of wife's moving to Indonesia, finalized a working permit for her, moved to a new apartment, etc. etc. I really don't want to argue with an online software reseller =) If they dont my money ... so be it =)

By the way, whoever the person (in this forum) who told me that married life is great, I must say that I agree with you guys ! Married life is definitely great ! :D

No more cooking alone for myself ... it is cooking for two from now on ! =)
No more watching movies alone ... no more long distance relationship ... no more phonefights ... no more crazy phonebills, crazy GPRS charges .... :D

Pat Logsdon
06-04-2004, 02:33 AM
Naah ... being a newlywed (the explanation of my being absent for around 2 months from this forum? 8))
Hey, congratulations! :mrgreen:

no more phonefights...
Now you can have REAL LIVE fights! :wink: SO much more satisfying! :D

dh
06-04-2004, 02:41 AM
Naah ... being a newlywed (the explanation of my being absent for around 2 months from this forum? 8)), taking care of wife's moving to Indonesia, finalized a working permit for her, moved to a new apartment, etc. etc.
Wondered where the heck you were. That's great news, congratulations!!

Kati Compton
06-04-2004, 03:36 AM
no more phonefights...
And don't even get me STARTED on the perils of "chat fights". 8O You think it's difficult to read intonation in arguments on the forums - it's worse when it's an argument with a Significant Other.

maximus
06-04-2004, 09:03 AM
Hey, congratulations! :mrgreen:

Thanks ! :D

*knock on wood*
Hey hey, no fighting at least until the the first anniversary ! :mrgreen: Actually, we got into a small argument several days ago, and it was much more easier to handle compared to over-the-phone one. When we started to argue, we took a look at each other, and immediately we made a mental agreement to stop the argument right there. :D

Wondered where the heck you were. That's great news, congratulations!!

Thanks again !
dh, are you still with the axim X5 ? or did you buy a new one already ?

And don't even get me STARTED on the perils of "chat fights". You think it's difficult to read intonation in arguments on the forums - it's worse when it's an argument with a Significant Other.

The only disadvantage of got married is ... I have to let go my secondary job as a part-time photographer. We agreed that married life = less travelling around alone =)

dh
06-05-2004, 01:05 AM
dh, are you still with the axim X5 ? or did you buy a new one already ?

I still have the trusty X5, although I must confess it lives in a drawer most of the time these days. I bought a Zaurus C860 recently and I'm just thrilled with it.

I wrote a bit about it here: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27997&highlight=

One new thing is that I'm using the beta version of Textmaker for Zaurus. I tell you, those guys do great work :D