View Full Version : active sync problem after deleting some notification queues

newtojc
06-01-2004, 05:12 AM
I must have done a bad thing. I believe that I messed up my active sync (3.7) when I deleted some notification queue files with Pocket Mechanic. I can active sync with the IR port but not with my cradle or with a travel cable. This problem seems to have started when I deleted the notification queue files. The two events may or may not be related. I don't know. Why can I active sync via IR but not with the cradle or cable. I suppose it could also be the connection at the bottom of my Axim X5 (upgraded to 2003). The Ax will charge through the connector but will not connect to active sync. Soft reset does not help. I expect that I will be told to hard reset. And no I do not have a clean backup.

If I have to do a hard reset can I backup now via the IR and use this backup file after I hard reset or will this "dirty backup" only make the problem reappear.

Thanks.

Pony99CA
06-01-2004, 06:58 AM
I must have done a bad thing. I believe that I messed up my active sync (3.7) when I deleted some notification queue files with Pocket Mechanic. I can active sync with the IR port but not with my cradle or with a travel cable. This problem seems to have started when I deleted the notification queue files. The two events may or may not be related. I don't know. Why can I active sync via IR but not with the cradle or cable. I suppose it could also be the connection at the bottom of my Axim X5 (upgraded to 2003). The Ax will charge through the connector but will not connect to active sync. Soft reset does not help. I expect that I will be told to hard reset. And no I do not have a clean backup.

If I have to do a hard reset can I backup now via the IR and use this backup file after I hard reset or will this "dirty backup" only make the problem reappear.
I suspect that deleting the repllog.exe event in the Notification database will prevent automatic syncing when the Pocket PC is connected via the serial port.

However, have you tried running ActiveSync on your Axim directly and clicking the Sync button while in the cradle? That might allow you to sync and backup without having to use IR.

As for doing a hard reset, that should fix the problem. Whether a restore will reintroduce the problem would depend on whether the Notification database is backed up and restored or not. I suppose you could just try it. :-) If it doesn't work, hard reset, sync, reload your programs using ActiveSync and set them up from scratch.

Steve

newtojc
06-03-2004, 08:28 PM
Thanks for your response Pony99CA. I finally did a hard reset and reloaded everything and life is good again. I learned something from the experience. Don't delete something if you don't know what it is or what it does.