View Full Version : .vob to .avi (Or, DVD to PPC)

kosmicki
05-30-2004, 06:58 AM
I have several .vob files ripped, And managed to convert them to .avi for easier editing. However, not having a PPC yet, I have two problems:

1. how can I get the avi to show widescreen (13:9) properly? its all squashed, and I cant figure out how to restretch it.

2. What settings and what program should I use in order to get good looking results on my future PPC?

I have read everything at doom9, but am still confused. I have been using pocketmatrix guide for most of this, but the answer to the above still eludes me.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Mitchybums
05-30-2004, 02:08 PM
You have to resize properly.
First, when you are converting the dvd to a big avi, better do it using the normal 1cd rip method, (gordian knot/Dr DIVX or something)
Then you can use Windows Media Encoder or VirtuaDub to convert it to a smaller size.

To get the squashing normal, this is what you need to calculate

PPC resulution : Width (usualy 320)
DVD or DIVX file resolution : Width and Height.

PPC Height : = (PPC WIDTH / DVD WIDTH) * DVD Height.

Using that will keep it the same aspect.

For DIVX, it needs to be devidable by 16, so round it upwards when it doesnt match.

Then in the conversion programs, put in Resize to : PPC width and PPC height.

Thats it.

Or look at www.bigdsvideo.com for some additional info.

kosmicki
05-30-2004, 11:59 PM
I think I found the proper dimensions, for this movie at least. 320x178. According to Divx 5.11 specs, it has to be divisible by 2.

Any players that support this? I mean, Dixv 5 is how old? There has to be at least one player...

kosmicki
05-31-2004, 05:00 AM
New problem, how the heck do I rotate the movie? VirtualDub says

Cannot start video compression:
The Source image format is not acceptable
(error code -2)

Not acceptable? I just encoded the thing down properly... Did not change a single setting except to remove the resize filter...

Any ideas?

Edit: Also, does using rotate feature of a player take up much CPU?

Kevin C. Tofel
05-31-2004, 01:49 PM
Any players that support this? I mean, Dixv 5 is how old? There has to be at least one player...

PocketMVP for your PPC does support DivX. You can find it here (http://home.adelphia.net/~mdukette/index.htm).

KCT