View Full Version : How useful would VGA really be?

torok
05-29-2004, 11:41 PM
On a 3.5" screen QVGA works out to 115 pixels per inch. My monitor is set at about 90 right now and I can't see any grain unless I get pretty darn close to it. 230 pixels per inch? Come on. You would have to have your face about an inch from the screen to get the full advantage from that. Seems a bit overkill to me unless you want a bigger device. Just my thoughts.

Kati Compton
05-30-2004, 12:12 AM
Well, if you're using your monitor properly and using your PPC properly, you *are* holding the PPC *much* closer to your face. Which is why you need mroe pixels per sq. inch than a regular computer monitor.

At the same time, I agree that VGA on 3.5" screen would be only borderline useful. I think at a 4" size, though, it's quite nice. :)

Kevin C. Tofel
05-30-2004, 12:43 AM
On a 4" screen it's VERY nice. 8)

Keep in mind that if you are using a "text intensive" application....say a book reader for example....that the fonts are much crisper at the same font size if you have more dpi.....

VGA allows for more clarity as well as the option of squeezing tons of info on your screen if you're one of those folks that don't mind holding the screen really close!!! :wink:

Either way, it's a matter of personal preference....

KCT

Ryan Joseph
05-30-2004, 01:15 AM
I thought the same thing for a while. Then I got to hold an e805. Once I saw the display and got to try using it, I realized exactly why VGA is so popular.

Everything on the screen just looked sharper, more defined, and clearer. It just looked amazing. :mrgreen:

ignar
05-30-2004, 02:30 AM
I second what others already said.

1. You use your PDA much closer than your monitor.
2. VGA delivers a) more info or b) prettier and crisper display. Select a) or b), your choice.

Ripper014
05-30-2004, 02:30 AM
What could you do with 4 times the screen real estate of a QVGA screen...???

arnage2
05-30-2004, 02:35 AM
vga+landscape= great web browsing

Kati Compton
05-30-2004, 03:22 AM
Or VERY improved PDF reading. Or ebook reading. Reading in general, really. And picture viewing. And...

Well, you get the idea.

dh
05-30-2004, 04:18 AM
...... Or ebook reading.
eBook reading on a VGA screen is great. I used my Axim X5 for reading everyday, using Mobipocket Reader. I never did have much success with ClearType, which always was blured to my eyes, so text quality was not the greatest with small fonts.

For reading on my Zaurus, I found a free application called JustReader which is fantastic. It can read my Mobipocket books and. like MP Reader, has plenty of choices for background and text colors. The quality of the characters on the VGA screen is out of this world. I find I can go to a slightly smaller size than before and still be comfortable with reading. The reading experience is much more pleasant with the higher resolution screen.

The other huge thing for me is working with spreadsheets. VGA and Landscape were just made for spreadsheets. Pocket Excel on the old screen in portrait orientation was horrible - now you can have Planmaker on VGA in landscape which will be great. I'm stuck with Hancom Sheet until (if) Planmaker for Zaurus arrives which is a bit of a pain.

Someone just looking to use their PPC as an organizer (might as well get a Palm to be honest!) may not really benefit from VGA, but I would say that a serious user wanting to use their device as a laptop replacement and for reading is going to be very happy with the VGA choice.

torok
05-30-2004, 04:51 AM
Hmm... all very good points. Since I've never actually seen a 4" VGA screen before, I shall concede that it is a much more pleasurable experience. I just bought an X30, so I don't want to, but I will. :D

Kowalski
05-30-2004, 10:04 AM
and you can adjust the font size, so the characters wont be tiny

dh
05-30-2004, 01:31 PM
Yes, that's an important point. I certainly don't use characters that contain only a quarter as many pixels as my QVGA ones. No point for my tired old eyes even attempting it :D

I can use fonts that are slightly smaller, because the crisper quality makes them easier to read.

Jonathon Watkins
05-30-2004, 06:37 PM
Yes, that's an important point. I certainly don't use characters that contain only a quarter as many pixels as my QVGA ones. No point for my tired old eyes even attempting it :D

I use a hack to make the font smaller anyway - so I am looking forward to much smaller system fonts without resorting to hacks. :D

Kowalski
05-30-2004, 08:16 PM
when i'll have the update i will shrink the fonts as much as possible because i hate scrolling

sracer
05-31-2004, 04:30 PM
Personally, I think that VGA at this point in time is a gimmick not worth the premium that such a device commands.

I've had the opportunity to try out a Tosh e805, and while text did look more crisp, it wasn't worth the extra cost or incompatibilities with some applications.

If a VGA device is produced with the appropriate support in the OS and with an onboard VGA port (ability to attach to an external monitor/display), then I would snap one up in a heartbeat.

ale2999
06-01-2004, 08:44 AM
Personally, I think that VGA at this point in time is a gimmick not worth the premium that such a device commands.

I've had the opportunity to try out a Tosh e805, and while text did look more crisp, it wasn't worth the extra cost or incompatibilities with some applications.

If a VGA device is produced with the appropriate support in the OS and with an onboard VGA port (ability to attach to an external monitor/display), then I would snap one up in a heartbeat.

gimmick lol.....
I was in the hospital for 2 weeks, and I connected to the net with my gprs and my 2210. I would have "killed" for a vga screen.

in short words you dont know how useful it would be, if you didnt use your pda extensively for reading in unformatted pages

sracer
06-01-2004, 05:06 PM

gimmick lol.....
I was in the hospital for 2 weeks, and I connected to the net with my gprs and my 2210. I would have "killed" for a vga screen.

in short words you dont know how useful it would be, if you didnt use your pda extensively for reading in unformatted pages

Please don't assume to know what my PPC usage is. Thanks.

jkendrick
06-01-2004, 05:16 PM
Web browsing has no equal in the mobile device world than in VGA either portrait or landscape. I maintain two web sites from my VGA PPC and it's so nice to be able to jump on when I have WiFi, make some changes or post some news, and jump off. Without hauling out the laptop, turning it on, waiting for it to boot up, making the changes, shutting it down, putting it away, etc.

It's very difficult to get the "big picture" in spreadsheets in QVGA. I did it for years and I had to relegate spreadsheet use to viewing only. In VGA I actually create and edit existing spreadsheets, too.

My personal belief is that if a user is a "heavy" user that does many different things with their PPC then they will be more productive with VGA. It's probably overkill for light users and as always, each individual's needs and wants are different. That's what makes the world an interesting place in which to be. :)

PatrickD
06-01-2004, 05:48 PM
I remember some people thought color screens were a gimmick that would do nothing but drain batteries. How many people would like to go back to a monochrome screen now? :wink:

Kati Compton
06-01-2004, 08:10 PM
gimmick lol.....

Please don't assume to know what my PPC usage is. Thanks.
Actually, that's a good point, though not necessarily the way you meant it. While you, personally, may have no need for the current crop of VGA devices, other people clearly do need/want them. So, the "don't assume" goes both ways.

Pro-VGA users shouldn't say "Everyone wants VGA and if you don't you're wrong", but the others also shouldn't say "No one should ever need or want VGA, and if they think they do, they're fooling themselves."

Me? I want VGA in a 4" screen, or non-VGA in a 3" or smaller screen. ;) I would find 4" pixelly w/o VGA. For the small screens, I wouldn't really notice the "smoother" nature of it with VGA, and thus for me, it would just be more expensive for little to no benefit.

Kowalski
06-01-2004, 08:35 PM
vga is not an option to die for. screen orientation and size is more important.
but the new asus will have all three!

Ripper014
06-01-2004, 08:52 PM
vga is not an option to die for. screen orientation and size is more important.
but the new asus will have all three!

I would beg to differ of the three the only one that interests me at this point is the VGA screen.. orientation is already available... and well as the size... it would be dependent on the unit you purchase.

ignar
06-01-2004, 10:05 PM
I would beg to differ of the three the only one that interests me at this point is the VGA screen.. orientation is already available... and well as the size... it would be dependent on the unit you purchase.

Agree. VGA is more important than the physical size for me. I prefer bigger screen, but if smaller size is a price for better portability, I'm fine with that.

Kowalski
06-01-2004, 10:20 PM
but if smaller size is a price for better portability, I'm fine with that.
4 inch is ideal but e800 is big compared to 2215.
as i stated asus a730 will be optimum. 3.8 inch screen with decent size