View Full Version : "n00b"

smoothdog
05-29-2004, 06:52 PM
My girl just gave me an Axim X3i. Awesome little beast that I'm just now gettin' the hang of. It's been a while since I've been a "n00b" in any aspect regdg computing and am interested in feedback from X3 owners about any probs or lack thereof.What do you guys think of the product?

surur
05-29-2004, 09:23 PM
Congratulations on joining the pocketpc community.

I dont own an Axim, but the first thing you should know is if you battery runs out, your device will be blanked to its factory state, i.e. cleared completely, like when you bought it. Therefore you should keep an eye on your battery charge and back up regularly (which can be done through active sync). Sorry if I told you something you know already, but this is a basic thing which bites newbies in the nether region quite regularly.

The next thing you should know is that the built-in software is adequate, but you will get much more value from your device if you add third party software, just like a normal pc. There is a lot of freeware around, e.g. pocketpcfreeware (http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com/en/index.php?cat=16&sortby=date) and good cheap commercial software at e.g handago (http://www.handango.com).

Thirdly, you can do most things on a pocketpc that you can do on a normal pc, just with more mobility, so dont let your imagination limit what you think you can do with your device. Its very good for entertainment e.g games, music, videos, and also things like off-line news like Avantgo or nntp feeds or rss feeds, e-books (which is one very good use of the device) etc. You'll get better value from buying a moderate size storage card e.g 256 mb, which will definite increase what you can do with your device.

You know the most important thing already, which is that this website is the best resource for a pocketpc owner :) . Best of luck, and keep posting here, so we can see how you are getting on.

Surur

Jason Dunn
05-30-2004, 03:01 AM
Welcome to the Pocket PC world - ask lots of questions, read what we have on the site already, and you'll be an expert in no time. :-)

smoothdog
05-30-2004, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the feedback. As to post one...lol...first thing I looked into was power. WHew, I can imagine the screams of anguish a defaulted to OS must elicit. I picked up a 512meg card yesterday ($100 after reb at Off Depot).Glad I did. It's hard to load bookoo games and still have space for "work" :twisted: apps and 50 or so mp3s.Works in trouble if DVDtoPC works as good as I hope. I again thank you for the responses and look forward to graduating from "n00b" to educated boob.Have a safe holiday.

apanther28
06-04-2004, 04:36 PM
Start off on the right foot and get yourself some screen protectors ASAP. This will keep your device in good shape. They are well worth the price. Different people have opinions on which ones work best. Just read the posts here and make your decision.