View Full Version : Low Memory Error

unrestricted
05-29-2004, 06:07 PM
Has anyone been experiencing low memory errors with the ppc? I get this error often. My ppc maintains about 2.0 mb for both storage and programs. I don't understand why I get this error. Also is the away to total stop a program from running besides going into settings memory then running programs? Most of the apps. on the ppc don't close completely. :cry:

luiskim
05-29-2004, 08:25 PM
you are getting the error message cause you are maintaining your memory so low... a total of 4mb is way too low... some programs require at least 10 to be able to run itself... try to uninstall some programs, or if you have large file you are gonna have to remove them or invest on some storage card to be able to dump them all in the card...

I only install the basic programs in the main memory such as resco file explorer, pocket plus, etc. And the games or other programs that i don't use that much they are all installed in my CD card... and musics, movies and wifi goes in my SD slot... So i have at least 30MB free in total and it's still slower than when i have around 40mb...

there are a few programs that are free that you can get that would let you close the programs... i forgot the name of those but you can find them in http://www.pocketpcfreeware.com/ and if you are thinking of getting the whole package that's gonna let you do way more than just closing the programs you might want to check out SPB PocketPlus 2... it's great...

Kacey Green
05-30-2004, 04:48 AM
Rex runs 3.xxMB and 6.xxMB and after a reset it runs 3.xx MB ram and 12.xx storage ram what's up with that?

Janak Parekh
05-30-2004, 06:36 AM
Rex runs 3.xxMB and 6.xxMB and after a reset it runs 3.xx MB ram and 12.xx storage ram what's up with that?
Some programs leak memory, due to bugs. :( You'd have to spend some time investigating each program, one at a time.

--janak

unrestricted
05-30-2004, 07:43 AM
Ok I have removed what I didn't need from the ppc and put it on my sd card. What only Active Sync running I still only have 3.04 mb storage and 4.16 Program. Why is that? Also I want to know if I can delete some of the default ringtone for the ringtone folder to save space?

Janak Parekh
05-30-2004, 07:36 PM
Ok I have removed what I didn't need from the ppc and put it on my sd card. What only Active Sync running I still only have 3.04 mb storage and 4.16 Program.
Sounds like you still have a lot of files in the Pocket PC's main memory. If you don't think this is supposed to be the case, consider installing WIMR (Where Is My RAM) (http://mypaq.net/mysoftware/wimr/index.shtml) and see what's using it all up. Maybe you have some large document files. Note that on the Phone Edition there are some "large-looking" files in the WINDOWS directory, starting with the string "MsgQueue"; these aren't real files, and you shouldn't try deleting them (in fact, you should generally be careful about deleting anything in the WINDOWS directory).

Also, which Pocket PC do you have? The original XDA has only 32MB, and it fills up pretty quickly. 7MB free out of 32MB is low, but not extraordinarily so.

Why is that? Also I want to know if I can delete some of the default ringtone for the ringtone folder to save space?
I wouldn't bother -- the default ringtones are very small.

--janak