View Full Version : mpg on pocket pc

bassboy_pete
05-28-2004, 08:39 AM
Hi everyone. I am new to the pocket pc system. I switched over from the Palm Os. Through some guides I found on the internet, I was able to do lots of things on my old palm. However, I now own a new ipaq 4150. I am mostly wondering if I am able to play mpg video files in the media player that came with the OS. I tried it, but said the file was not supported. Is there a plug-in, or another video player that can play mpgs? Or is there a guide on the internet that tells me how to do all this. I havn't found any good resources yet. Thanks

Pony99CA
05-28-2004, 10:16 AM
[...] I now own a new ipaq 4150. I am mostly wondering if I am able to play mpg video files in the media player that came with the OS. I tried it, but said the file was not supported. Is there a plug-in, or another video player that can play mpgs? Or is there a guide on the internet that tells me how to do all this. I havn't found any good resources yet.
You obviously haven't searched my Web site for MPEG. :-) If you had, you would have found a link to PocketTV (http://www.pockettv.com). For some reason, Microsoft hasn't seen fit to include MPEG playback in Windows Media Player.

Steve

dazcox5181
05-28-2004, 05:03 PM
Try BetaPlayer from http://betaplayer.corecodec.org its faster then pocketTV, pocketMVP etc plays avi/divx/mpeg and can use hardware acceleration. My XDA II gets 70fps on a ripped DVD full screen at Great quality.:)

bassboy_pete
05-28-2004, 06:33 PM
I will try both, and see which I like better. Thanks so much. But also, is there a guide that will tell me how to rip a dvd into a small file? I have a 256mb SD card as well. Thanks again.

dazcox5181
05-28-2004, 07:03 PM
try www.vcdhelp.com for a guide. I used DVD decrypter to rip to HD and used pocket DivxEncoder to shrink the file. I got a 90ish min film down to 118mb to put a a 128 card and its quality was still great even with a lot of movement (the ATI chip in the XDA II probably helps too)

bassboy_pete
05-28-2004, 07:16 PM
Great, thanks alot.

Pony99CA
05-29-2004, 03:53 AM
My XDA II gets 70fps on a ripped DVD full screen at Great quality.:)
What exactly does that mean? Movies are filmed at 24 frames per second, and TV is broadcast at 30 frames per second (or 60 interlaced fields per second). So how can you get 70 frames per second?

Steve

Pony99CA
05-29-2004, 04:08 AM
But also, is there a guide that will tell me how to rip a dvd into a small file?
You could check the PocketMatrix guides (http://pocketmatrix.com/guides). They've often been cited as some of the best guides to Pocket PC video.

Also, last night I found Big D's Pocket PC Video Guides (http://www.bigdsvideo.com/).

Of course, using :google: to search on "Pocket PC" DVD rip will also find several more sites.

As I've never tried ripping video, I can't tell you how good any of the guides are, though.

Steve

dazcox5181
05-29-2004, 08:16 PM
70 is the benchmark figure i get from Betaplayer... Could have done without the know-it-all explanation of frame rates...anyway UK tv is 25 fps (50 interlaced!)

tanalasta
05-30-2004, 06:38 AM
How well do these framerates play on your ppc (and what model do you have)?

I have the older 203mhz strong-arm series and a smallish SD card. So the time-consuming but satisfactory alternative is to use WM encoder to convert mpeg's into window media files at a reduced framerate + audio rate. Works a charm with windows media player :) I use it to convert music videos so i can watch them on the go!

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/default.aspx

Pony99CA
05-30-2004, 08:17 AM
70 is the benchmark figure i get from Betaplayer... Could have done without the know-it-all explanation of frame rates...anyway UK tv is 25 fps (50 interlaced!)
Know-it-all? I was trying to understand what the 70 frames per second meant, and was simply givng the background as to why 70 fps didn't make any sense to me. I had already inferred that it was the frame rate you got from Betaplayer; I wanted to know what that actually meant.

For example, do MPEG encoders encode at a higher framerate than the source video? Does Betaplayer stick in extra frames for some reason? I have no idea.

As for being in the UK, how is somebody supposed to know that? Your profile didn't mention it, so I assumed you were in North America, which uses NTSC, not PAL. Regardless, the 70 fps still doesn't make sense. :-)

Steve

bigds63
06-01-2004, 03:29 AM
Off topic, But wanted to say Thank You Steve for putting a link to my website on your website....Love your site, Lots of info there...Thanks Again

maikii
06-01-2004, 05:19 AM
try www.vcdhelp.com for a guide. I used DVD decrypter to rip to HD and used pocket DivxEncoder to shrink the file. I got a 90ish min film down to 118mb to put a a 128 card and its quality was still great even with a lot of movement (the ATI chip in the XDA II probably helps too)

But it didn't shrink it to MPEG, did it? That's what the OP was asking about. I think that program creates DIVX or XVID. One of those programs, or Microsoft's WMV could shrink a movie into a file that size for PPC, but I doubt one could shrink a full-length movie into an .MPG that small. Besides, I don't think that program will create .MPgs.

maikii
06-01-2004, 05:22 AM

But it didn't shrink it to MPEG, did it? That's what the OP was asking about. I think that program creates DIVX or XVID. One of those programs, or Microsoft's WMV could shrink a movie into a file that size for PPC, but I doubt one could shrink a full-length movie into an .MPG that small. Besides, I don't think that program will create .MPgs.

I think that's the drawback of Pocket TV, it only plays MPEG format. I haven't tried the program yet--it might be a great player. But I don't think MPEG-1 is the best format for PPC, doesn't get as small file sizes as MPEG-4, of which WMV and DIVX and XVID, MP4, etc. are variants.

maikii
06-01-2004, 05:25 AM
Know-it-all? I was trying to understand what the 70 frames per second meant, and was simply givng the background as to why 70 fps didn't make any sense to me. I had already inferred that it was the frame rate you got from Betaplayer; I wanted to know what that actually meant.
For example, do MPEG encoders encode at a higher framerate than the source video? Does Betaplayer stick in extra frames for some reason? I have no idea.

As for being in the UK, how is somebody supposed to know that? Your profile didn't mention it, so I assumed you were in North America, which uses NTSC, not PAL. Regardless, the 70 fps still doesn't make sense. :-)

Steve

Just guessing--but that 70 fps might have referred to the speed of encoding. It certainly would not mean the frame rate of the video--I have never heard of such a frame rate. That would actually make the file size MUCH larger, if it were true.

picard
06-01-2004, 03:05 PM
there is a benchmark feature in BetaPlayer. it playes the movie as fast as possible (100% cpu usage, without any time syncronization). obviously an orginaly 24fps video with 70fps will be played almost 3 times faster as normal. so 70fps benchmark just means there is plenty of free cpu time with normal playback (less battery drain and no frame drops for sure).

pendragn
06-15-2004, 10:51 PM
Does anyone have any tips for ripping DVD directly to MPEG2? I'm using Windows Media Encoder to encode to WMV for my PPC. Right now I'm compressing AVIs that I've ripped from DVD before. That seems like an extra step. I'd like to rip my DVDs directly to the 4 or 8 GB MPEG2 file and then run that through WME for my ipaq. Any advice?

tk