View Full Version : Are there screen protectors for 4155 at store?

jook00
05-28-2004, 07:35 AM
WHere can I find these? 4155 screen protectors. NOt at staples, not at circuit city.

Fattizzi
05-28-2004, 04:17 PM
i think you can buy any screen protector as long as it is a 3.5 inch size. I too have been looking for a good one and not those cheap ones like Writeshields.

I have had my 4155 for a couple of months now and use a product to clean/protect my screen called Plexus. It is awesome. So far no scratches of marks. I use Plexus on my Motorcycle windshield and the chrome. It protects from scratches and stuff. Try it out, you can buy it at any motorcycle store or a boat supply store like West marine.

mattp
05-29-2004, 03:20 AM
I don't think you'll get a lot of support here for writeshields being "cheap ones." Certainly not from me.

If you insist on going to a store, then Best Buy carries fellows writerights. I used them before and they are not only a pain in the keester to apply, but they fall apart rather quickly (about three weeks of fairly regular use). They are probably better than a naked screen, however.

I've been using the my first writeshield for over a month and it has no noticeable deterioration whatsoever. I expect it will last for quite some time before I have to clean and re-apply it. I highly recommend waiting the few days it takes to deliver some of the top-quality screen protectors like writeshields, and many others recommend boxwave as well.

In all fairness, I don't know anything about applying a motorcylcle windshield protector to my PPC.

Kati Compton
05-29-2004, 05:50 AM
The cheap protectors are the WriteRights from Fellowes. WriteShields are expensive, but very very nice.

rob_ocelot
05-29-2004, 04:41 PM
i think you can buy any screen protector as long as it is a 3.5 inch size. I too have been looking for a good one and not those cheap ones like Writeshields.

I have had my 4155 for a couple of months now and use a product to clean/protect my screen called Plexus. It is awesome. So far no scratches of marks. I use Plexus on my Motorcycle windshield and the chrome. It protects from scratches and stuff. Try it out, you can buy it at any motorcycle store or a boat supply store like West marine.

I think I found what you're talking about:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/bgi-20214.html

I'd be a little hesitant putting it on a Pocket PC touch screen though. You just don't know if a solvent ment to play nicely with one type of plastic will erode or dissolve another type. It may also work now but could be damaging the touch screen in the long term.

From the webpage:

"Plexus Plastic Cleaner and Polish penetrates and lifts even the most difficult stains without damaging even the most delicate plastic or vinyl."

This aspect of the product also doesn't sound good for touch screens, and is somewhat contradictory. By penetrating a stain embedded in a plastic, it must penetrate the plastic! Penetration = damage. I'm aware that you can penetrate the spaces between the polymers in a plastic but to keep something there you need to have some form of electrostatic or hydrogen bonding.

"Plexus is also a protectant. It leaves an invisible, micro-thin layer of protection that seals plastic and clear vinyl, making it more resistant to dirt, dust and stains."

This troubles me as well, as it imples that it's permanently altering the plastic or at least bonding to surface irregularities. This could spell trouble down the line if the residue were to build up. People already have problems with adhesive screen protectors pulling the top layer of the touch screen off and destroying its funcitonality. The above product appears to permanently alter the layer.

Kati Compton
05-29-2004, 05:38 PM
i think you can buy any screen protector as long as it is a 3.5 inch size.
There can be very small size differences. ~1mm or so. I know that my screen protectors for my Axim with a 3.5" screen were just SLIGHTLY too big for my husband's Asus 620BT with a 3.5" screen.

Rod3
05-29-2004, 10:11 PM
I'd be a little hesitant putting it on a Pocket PC touch screen though. You just don't know if a solvent ment to play nicely with one type of plastic will erode or dissolve another type. It may also work now but could be damaging the touch screen in the long term.

From the webpage:

"Plexus Plastic Cleaner and Polish penetrates and lifts even the most difficult stains without damaging even the most delicate plastic or vinyl."

This aspect of the product also doesn't sound good for touch screens, and is somewhat contradictory. By penetrating a stain embedded in a plastic, it must penetrate the plastic! Penetration = damage. I'm aware that you can penetrate the spaces between the polymers in a plastic but to keep something there you need to have some form of electrostatic or hydrogen bonding.

"Plexus is also a protectant. It leaves an invisible, micro-thin layer of protection that seals plastic and clear vinyl, making it more resistant to dirt, dust and stains."

This troubles me as well, as it imples that it's permanently altering the plastic or at least bonding to surface irregularities. This could spell trouble down the line if the residue were to build up. People already have problems with adhesive screen protectors pulling the top layer of the touch screen off and destroying its funcitonality. The above product appears to permanently alter the layer.

I've used it on mine for years. I have a Jornada 568, a Toshiba E805, and a couple of others, and all of them have had Plexus on them. I also use it on my Tablet screen. It won't hurt plastic.

BoxWave
06-01-2004, 09:12 PM
:D ,

Try us. We've won a ton of awards (featured in Popular Science) and awards like Handheld Magazine's Top Picks.

Not only that, got a 30 day, 100% money back guarantee on our products.

;).

www.boxwave.com

Wing

Kati Compton
06-02-2004, 03:58 AM
:D ,

Try us. We've won a ton of awards (featured in Popular Science) and awards like Handheld Magazine's Top Picks.
Yeah - I put one of these on my husband's PDA and it is also nice.