View Full Version : Bluetooth music.......maybe?

charliew
05-27-2004, 04:46 AM
The most recent issue of Pocket PC mentions "A bluetooth headset connection for pda's". It goes on to talk about a patch from Handango (Kai's Bluetooth Headset Patch 2004) and using it with a bluetooth headset for his navigation program.

The program claims to redirect the audio from the iPaq speaker to the bluetooth headset.

Has anyone actually tried this? More importantly, would it work for audio from windows media player for music or a movie?

I don't have a bluetooth headset to try it with, but if it will play music, I'll go get one.

rapidnet_rick
05-27-2004, 04:51 AM
I've done it with the IPAQ 5555 and my Jabra headset for my Cell phone...It works, and sounds pretty bad.....

Veggie_Musician
05-27-2004, 10:10 AM
is there anyway of then making your ipaq as a bluetooth head set - would be cool to have it as a speaker phone

Kowalski
05-27-2004, 06:10 PM
there are profiles in BT setup. and some devices are server, some are client.
a BT headset has a client profile for sure but i dont think that ipaq's have BT headset or sound profile

charliew
05-28-2004, 01:38 AM
I purchased a bluetooth headset and downloaded the patch from Handango. The patch added a headset profile to the ipaq bluetooth manager.

It worked, but rapidnet_rick was right. The sound quality is very poor. Also, the enabling the bluetooth headset made the system very slow when watching a movie.

For the money, stick to a corded headset.

Brad Adrian
05-28-2004, 02:20 AM
is there anyway of then making your ipaq as a bluetooth head set - would be cool to have it as a speaker phone

You bring up an interesting question: How important is it to have speakerphone capability? I would LOVE to have it on my Phone Edition.

Pat Logsdon
05-28-2004, 02:40 AM
The most recent issue of Pocket PC mentions "A bluetooth headset connection for pda's". It goes on to talk about a patch from Handango (Kai's Bluetooth Headset Patch 2004) and using it with a bluetooth headset for his navigation program.

The program claims to redirect the audio from the iPaq speaker to the bluetooth headset.

Has anyone actually tried this? More importantly, would it work for audio from windows media player for music or a movie?

I don't have a bluetooth headset to try it with, but if it will play music, I'll go get one.
I've tried both Kai's patch (http://www.handango.com/brainstore//PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=311&jid=C6933C14BE4B9A488E742E548BEA57CF&platformId=2&productType=2&productId=88989&sectionId=0&catalog=30) and the manual BT hack on my 4150 and 1945. Both work on the 1945, neither works on the 4150. The 4150 won't work due to a more limited BT stack, probably something to do with the built-in WiFi. I've also read from multiple sources that the headset can be enabled on 221x devices. The sound quality is acceptable for voice, but not really worth it for music.

I'd also like to mention that Kai is very responsive to emailed questions. While the hack can be done manually if you feel like searching, $3.00 for your time and peace of mind is a pretty good price. :mrgreen: The only con that I can think of to Kai's patch is that it requires the installation of eVB, which takes up a fair amount of space.