View Full Version : PPC as a flash drive?

felixdd
05-25-2004, 02:47 PM
Is there any program that can make the ppc appear as a flash drive if plugged into the USB port of a computer? Having the ability to see my SD card is a bonus -- but for now I'd like to be able to look directly into the memory of my Ipaq w/o going through activesync.

And another thing -- anyone know of a good freeware image editor? I have a bunch of pictures that I took and just want to rotate them.

The Yaz
05-25-2004, 03:21 PM
I was under the impression that if you connect a PocketPC to a computer without activestink you could view the memory through My Computer-Mobile Device.

Then again, both of my computers have XP Home and AS 3.7 installed. Individual mileage may vary.

As for a free picture viewer, try DAVA picture viewer http://www.freewareppc.com/graphics/davapictureviewer.shtml.

Enjoy,

Steve 8)

Jason Dunn
05-25-2004, 03:44 PM
Is there any program that can make the ppc appear as a flash drive if plugged into the USB port of a computer? Having the ability to see my SD card is a bonus -- but for now I'd like to be able to look directly into the memory of my Ipaq w/o going through activesync.

Not possible at this time - without ActiveSync and the right Pocket PC USB drivers installed, the Pocket PC isn't recognized and you can't access it. I think it would be incredibly cool if you could do that though... :D

felixdd
05-25-2004, 05:53 PM
I was under the impression that if you connect a PocketPC to a computer without activestink you could view the memory through My Computer-Mobile Device.

Then again, both of my computers have XP Home and AS 3.7 installed. Individual mileage may vary.

As for a free picture viewer, try DAVA picture viewer http://www.freewareppc.com/graphics/davapictureviewer.shtml.

Enjoy,

Steve 8)

Thanks for the link -- but not QUITE what I'm looking for. I want to rotate my jpegs for good, so I need something that has the functionality of, say, MS Photo Editor? Just anything that can open a Jpeg for editing and rotation.

I know there's a few out there, but I forgot the names and couldn't find anything fruitful on google/here/ppcfreeware.

[quote=felixdd]Not possible at this time - without ActiveSync and the right Pocket PC USB drivers installed, the Pocket PC isn't recognized and you can't access it. I think it would be incredibly cool if you could do that though... :D

Anyone know where I can get drivers? :lol:
Seriously though -- I sorta asked that while hoping against hope. I know that there are programs that allow the PPC to see the desktop's HDD as a storage card, through an AS connection. I was wondering if anyone figured out how to do it the other way.

I think a solution like this will be extremely versatile, and rids us of the pain of putting up with AS.

Sven Johannsen
05-25-2004, 08:11 PM
Anyone know where I can get drivers?

For the most part, installing AS will cover the drivers. (the MS download seems to have the most popular drivers). Just did that at work. Pulled AS from MS and installed it. Picked up my HP just fine.