View Full Version : 4155 clock problems

teznic
05-25-2004, 02:13 AM
I just recently sold my 4155 on ebay and while I know it was working perfectly before I sent it out the buyer claims to be having problems with the internal clock and wants to return it. Here's a quote from the email he sent me,

"Hey there, Sorry to bother you, but we're experiencing problems with the PDA & wanted to contact you on possibly a refund unless you have an alternate solution. The PDA has been completely setup & being used but the clock constantly jumps ahead about an hour. We've set it back & it jumps ahead again & again. We don't think there's anything else we can change/adjust to lock it in at the correct time. Obviously this presents a problem considering the primary function of this is for appointments! If no other solutions can be worked out, we would like to receive a refund & simply mail it back to you. Please let us know, Thanks"

It doesn't sound like a hardware problem to me just something software related. Could it possibly have something to do with the time zone? I never had any issues similar to this when I was using it, so I don't understand what he could be doing wrong. Maybe something to do with activesync? I'm clueless, so maybe you guys can help me out. It sounds like user error to me.

jnajera
05-25-2004, 02:46 AM
Why don't they call HP on it? That is one of the reasons I always sell as is.

AggieJon
05-25-2004, 03:12 AM
Here's a thought. Activesync has an option that is enabled by default to sycronize the PPC clock with the computer's clock when it's cradled. You might have them check to see if their computer's clock is off, because it could be changing the PPC clock every time he syncs it. That's the only thing I can think of!

Steven Cedrone
05-25-2004, 04:15 AM
Could it possibly have something to do with the time zone?

I would be willing to bet it's the time zone!

Steve

Pony99CA
05-25-2004, 09:05 AM
Could it possibly have something to do with the time zone?
I would be willing to bet it's the time zone!

Yep, it's a common problem when the clock on the PC and the clock on the Pocket PC differ.

To see the problem, have them uncradle the Pocket PC and set the clock. They shouldn't see the time change. However, when they sync, I bet the clock will change by an hour.

So it sounds like user error. :-)

Steve

zilla31
05-25-2004, 02:05 PM
it's a time zone issue i'm sure of it.

Kacey Green
05-25-2004, 02:46 PM
also check the home and visiting settings

teznic
05-25-2004, 04:13 PM
Good thoughts guys. Thanks!

I'll give him some suggestions just because im a nice guy. It was sold AS-IS, so I don't know why all of the sudden I work for HP customer service. :roll:

Jacob
05-25-2004, 04:17 PM
Well, helping him out is a good thing, even if you have no absolute responsibility to do so.

By the way, you might want to send him a link to PPCT so that he can get help for other problems he might have :)

Pony99CA
05-25-2004, 04:34 PM

I'll give him some suggestions just because im a nice guy. It was sold AS-IS, so I don't know why all of the sudden I work for HP customer service. :roll:
You should help him for the same reason you sought help here. Besides, if you don't, you might get the dreaded negative feedback. :rotfl:

Steve

teznic
05-26-2004, 06:42 AM

You should help him for the same reason you sought help here. Besides, if you don't, you might get the dreaded negative feedback. :rotfl:

Steve

So true! Thats pretty much the only reason im helping him out, and im sure he knows it.

Kacey Green
05-31-2004, 08:14 PM
Was the problem resolved?