View Full Version : Boxwave miniSync Cable for iMate2

Jason Dunn
05-25-2004, 02:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.boxwave.com/products/minisync/ms_imate_smart2.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.boxwave.com/products/min...mate_smart2.htm</a><br /><br /></div>Here's some free advice for all Pocket PC owners: just because a cable fits into the plug, that doesn't mean it's doing what it's supposed to be doing. :wink: Case in point: I had a Boxwave miniSync cable for an XDA, and when I client of mine bought an iMate2 (XDA2) from <a href="http://estore.shopplex.com/app/storefront.aspx?modid=30214092059015&aid=5"> Tek 'n Toys</a>, I gave her the miniSync cable because she was looking for a mobile charging solution. I tested the miniSync cable on the iMate2 and it was physically compatible, and also charged the unit - the light came on and the Pocket PC said it was charging. My client used this XDA miniSync cable to recharge her device overnight, and the next morning the iMate2 was completely dead. What happened?<br /><br />Well, I remember reading something in our forums here once about a sync n' charge cable <i>draining</i> the battery of a Pocket PC rather than recharging it. Sure enough, I contacted Boxwave and asked if I needed to have a specific cable for the iMate2. The answer was yes. Whoops! :oops: It turns out that even if the cable is physically compatible, there are pinout differences in the cable, and thus different power configurations. Lesson learned: always use the right cable for the job. And so now I await the Boxwave cable...

gratefuled
05-25-2004, 02:36 AM
Jason,
I'm currently using a BoxWave Mini Sync that came out a couple of months ago for the the HTC 2003 PPC PE Device. I own an MDA II, and it works great.
PPC Techs came out with one a month or so after BoxWave.
So the Technology is here, purchase away.

PS: I bought PPC Techs XDA Minisynce for my MDA II, and it drained it right away. Now, however, the right products are available.
Ed

Jargon
05-25-2004, 03:55 AM
My sync'n'charge cable charged my XDA II to 100%. After that, it started discharging 8O although it indicated that it was still charging It can't keep the XDA II charged at 100%.

jimski
05-25-2004, 04:27 AM
There are no part numbers on the miniSync cable (at least not on mine). How is one to know which model they have? What if a user has multiple devices and miniSyncs that use the same connector but function differently?

I know it adds cost, but Boxwave should at least label them, Model A, B, C, etc. I have only used my cable a couple times. Should I assume I got the right model for my device?

Jon Westfall
05-25-2004, 05:12 AM
Yea, its screwy. Some of my xda i chargers worked with the xda ii, some did not. Seemed the cheaper the charger, the more often it worked. As I recall, the xda charged at 800ma while the xda ii requires 1200ma, which is why it drains the battery instead of charging with you use the older connector.

As an added note, if you have a sync cable for the xda ii / i-mate it will also work fine with the i-mate smartphone2, you just need to plug it in backwards!

Jon.

shawnc
05-25-2004, 01:01 PM
Well, I remember reading something in our forums here once about a sync n' charge cable draining the battery of a Pocket PC rather than recharging it.

That was one of my threads and I was having the problem with my Axim. Well after purchasing my Ipaq I decided to try again (with a new cable of course). I am happy to say that this one doesn't drain the battery on my Ipaq. The fact that it only stays connected for 10-15 seconds before mysteriously "disconnecting" may have something to do with that. Right in the middle on syncing it just disconnects. The cable remains inserted, but it loses the connection. I contacted the company about my problem and they provided me with the lamest excuse known to man.

Oh well, shame on me. I should have learned my lesson the first time. I realize that a lot of folks seem to have success with this brand but I'm steering clear of them.

ctmagnus
05-25-2004, 08:31 PM
Well, I remember reading something in our forums here once about a sync n' charge cable draining the battery of a Pocket PC rather than recharging it.

That was one of my threads and I was having the problem with my Axim.

I knew I had heard of that happening!

BoxWave
05-25-2004, 09:07 PM
Guys,

Let me know if there are further questions I can answer or things I can clarify about.

Our cables are "tagged" so to speak, but if you have questions about compatability, feel free to email [email protected].

Let me know how it goes,

Wing Lum
BoxWave

shawnc
05-28-2004, 03:45 AM
Guys,

Let me know if there are further questions I can answer or things I can clarify about.

Our cables are "tagged" so to speak, but if you have questions about compatability, feel free to email [email protected].

Let me know how it goes,

Wing Lum
BoxWave

Just to clarify, neither of my cables were questions of compatibility. They were purchased for the particular machine (one for my Axim and one for my 4150). The problem was that neither worked. The Axim cable mysteriously drained the battery and the Ipaq cable won't stay connected.

I contacted your company via email and was VERY dissapointed with the response. Painful lesson learned.