View Full Version : Integrated GPS

zoso1us
05-22-2004, 05:24 PM
I know that one company has it out already (Mitac I think) but when (if ever) is Hp/Compaq going to release one?

Have a removable battery, a flip cover and we've got something that you should expect from an industry leader.

jake080
05-22-2004, 05:39 PM
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/rsf_aximx30high_1?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

not exactly integrated, but still nice... im not surte how it connects, heck maybe it is integrated, though it sounds as if an add-on!

~Jake

Pony99CA
05-22-2004, 06:29 PM
I know that one company has it out already (Mitac I think) but when (if ever) is Hp/Compaq going to release one?
You're thinking of the Mitac Mio 168 (http://www.mio-tech.com/products_mio168.asp). There are others, though, including the Emirate1 (http://www.emirate1.com/).

As for HP, I haven't heard anything about them integrating GPS. I think they're sticking with Bluetooth or card expansion.

Have a removable battery, a flip cover and we've got something that you should expect from an industry leader.
Most iPAQs nowadays have removable batteries. As for a flip cover, I don't want one; if it's removable without leaving protrusions, though, I could live with it.

Steve

zoso1us
05-22-2004, 06:53 PM
The bluetooth devices use their own power, so will extend the battery life of a Pocket PC, anyway I guess.

Decent bluetooth Pocket PC ($400+) + bluetooth GPS ($350) = way more than I'm willing to pay.

The Mitac is around $500, but I think you can't change out the battery for a fresh one when needed.

The reason I'm so obsessed with battery life if that I want to mount a GPS device on my Yamaha cruiser. But even in a car I'd prefer to go completely wireless.

My 568 is still working fine, so I'd like to have an HP repacement that would give me at least as much of a life span... knock on wood.

Pony99CA
05-22-2004, 07:32 PM
The bluetooth devices use their own power, so will extend the battery life of a Pocket PC, anyway I guess.

Decent bluetooth Pocket PC ($400+) + bluetooth GPS ($350) = way more than I'm willing to pay.

The Mitac is around $500, but I think you can't change out the battery for a fresh one when needed
Those prices seem a bit high; maybe you need to shop better. :-) You can get a refurbished iPAQ 1940 for $200 (http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=893149&prsrt=1) (or a new one for $300) and a Belkin Bluetooth GPS unit for $200 (http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=1910222&prsrt=1) (with navigation software).

So I could put together a Bluetooth GPS system for $400 (refurbished) or $500 (new). (And I haven't even tried eBay. :-D)

Steve

zoso1us
05-22-2004, 07:53 PM
Can you swap out the battery on a 1940? Just by nature of it's small size I doubt I could utilize that application for more than a short period.

Sometimes I'll ride with a group and want to break of early and it would be very useful to just be able to stop, look down and figure out where the heck I am.

My current setup will not acquire very quickly (which I think is typical for some GPS units) so ideally I'd want to leave the thing running for the typical several-hour ride.

I could wire the thing up to my fuse box but it would be a pain... probably the only real solution.

Kowalski
05-22-2004, 09:48 PM
yes you can carry a spare battery and change whenever you want.
plus you can use one of those chargers which use standart batteries.

and for the runtimes in case of using BT all the time you should get 3-4 hours of operation and with 2 batteries i hope this would be enough for you

Pony99CA
05-22-2004, 11:24 PM
Can you swap out the battery on a 1940? Just by nature of it's small size I doubt I could utilize that application for more than a short period.
Yes, the iPAQ 1940 has a removable battery. Just check the specs on the iPAQ 1940 Web page (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/215348-64929-215381-314903-f42-322904.html).

My current setup will not acquire very quickly (which I think is typical for some GPS units) so ideally I'd want to leave the thing running for the typical several-hour ride.
With a Bluetooth GPS unit, you can just leave the GPS unit on. When you want to know where you are, turn the Pocket PC on and the only delay will be connecting to Bluetooth.

I could wire the thing up to my fuse box but it would be a pain... probably the only real solution.
I assume that means that motorcycles don't have cigarette lighters.

Steve

WyattEarp
05-22-2004, 11:42 PM

Like a jog dial, built-in GPS is more of a preference than a practicality. A Wireless GPS system (using Bluetooth for example) would be more practical I think, because then you could also use it with a laptop or another compatible type of PDA. Versatility is a key element with something like a GPS unit and shouldn't tie you down to one device, especially your PDA IMO.

zoso1us
05-23-2004, 12:59 AM
"I assume that means that motorcycles don't have cigarette lighters."

No but I did see one pass me going 80 with the guy puffin' away... there's a guy who likes to live dangerously. 8O [/quote]

zoso1us
05-23-2004, 03:12 AM
"Versatility is a key element with something like a GPS unit and shouldn't tie you down to one device, especially your PDA"

Very good point, My Jornada accessories (Pharos GPS included) will be landfill when it gives up the ghost.

Of course I want an integrated device just so I can throw the thing onto the mount, make it as simple as possible. I carry my PDA with me most of the time anyway.

Looks like I came to the right forum for this info...

Thanks all!

Richard

Kitiara
05-23-2004, 11:08 PM
I had the same problems to address when designing my push bike GPS system.

I eventually went for getting a dual PCMCIA expansion jacket (to get the additional battery, and the ability to put a 5Gb HDD on the PDA), and a battery extender (purchased on ebay for $7.99).

The combination lets me run the PDA with bluetooth on for nearly 9 hours (infinately extendable by changing the batteries in the extender).

Jonathon Watkins
05-23-2004, 11:24 PM
Yup, Bluetooth looks to be the way to go here. Until they discontinue BT. :lol:

There's a fair few PPCs with GPS around - but most of them seem to be cheep European devices or rebadged Mitacs.

Sven Johannsen
05-24-2004, 01:39 AM
My Jornada accessories (Pharos GPS included) will be landfill when it gives up the ghost.

Why so? The Pharos for a Jornada didn't attach like a sled did it? I thought it was cabled. As such the connector might need to be replaced, but the unit is still good.