View Full Version : Pocket PC Tools Hacked

Janak Parekh
05-21-2004, 08:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pocketpctools.com/' target='_blank'>http://www.pocketpctools.com/</a><br /><br /></div>Barry over at Pocket PC Tools writes that "Someone childish thought that it would be funny to hack the main page of this site. It is now back up (obviously). Problem is that I don't have the time to work on the security of the site with my new Job and all (more on that later). If anyone out there knows Linux and would like to perhaps help with that, i would love to hear from you. Please contact us via the <a href="http://www.pocketpctools.com/modules.php?name=Submit">Submit News</a> link."<br /><br />If you've got some Linux system administration experience and want to help out a fellow Pocket PC site owner, go for it!

Pony99CA
05-22-2004, 02:22 PM
Barry over at Pocket PC Tools writes that "Someone childish thought that it would be funny to hack the main page of this site. It is now back up (obviously). Problem is that I don't have the time to work on the security of the site with my new Job and all (more on that later). If anyone out there knows Linux and would like to perhaps help with that, i would love to hear from you.
Hackers like this are nothing more than street vandals with bandwidth. Too bad you can't do a drive-by in cyberspace. :lol:

Steve

Kacey Green
05-23-2004, 05:36 AM
reverse engineering is real fun for sure, as long as you dont hurt anybody.
but i find hackers stupid! since they dont have anything to do they make all this $hit up and make people angry
would they do this directly looking at your face?
I agree with you, you know what eles sucks about these people, the feel that their actions are somehow justified, "Duh, your site was weak, it asked me to hack it, duh," idiots, if that was the case, why not e-mail the site owner and say you need to fix such and such?

Pony99CA
05-23-2004, 06:27 AM
reverse engineering is real fun for sure, as long as you dont hurt anybody.
but i find hackers stupid! since they dont have anything to do they make all this $hit up and make people angry
would they do this directly looking at your face?
I agree with you, you know what eles sucks about these people, the feel that their actions are somehow justified, "Duh, your site was weak, it asked me to hack it, duh," idiots, if that was the case, why not e-mail the site owner and say you need to fix such and such?
I agree, which is why I think that people like Adrian Lamo deserve jail. Yes, he supposedly helped some of the companies after he hacked in, but what he should have done was to ask for permission to do penetration testing before he tried.

If the company agreed, there wouldn't have been a problem; if they didn't, he should have stayed out.

Steve

P.S. Did Kowalski's post get deleted? It looks like you're quoting something that wasn't said. :lol:

Kacey Green
05-23-2004, 06:32 AM
amen pony, thouh if it was something that he could see without entering, like hey you have such and such port open, he could still email them, but when he enters he is violating real laws

Edit: getting sleepy, he is actively probing them to see that extra ports are open, but something along those lines

jizmo
05-24-2004, 09:12 AM
"Duh, your site was weak, it asked me to hack it, duh,"
Well put.

It's scary what some people do just because they have the opportunity. I'm glad that most of the people don't live by this principle that would justify just about everything.

I mean, it's not like you are allowed to beat up grandmas - just because they don't know any karate, duh.

/jizmo

Kacey Green
05-24-2004, 11:52 AM
I mean, it's not like you are allowed to beat up grandmas - just because they don't know any karate, duh.

/jizmo
:rotfl:
I don't want to take your lunch money bobby, but you're smaller than me and this is the way things must be :takethat: (where is that punching emote?)