View Full Version : PocketPCTools Hacked?

DavesiPAQ
05-21-2004, 01:52 PM
I dont know if any of you tried to visit pocketpctools today but some jerk apparently hacked Barry's site. This is really annoying and people need to get a life!

Dave
Dave's iPAQ

WyattEarp
05-21-2004, 04:52 PM
Just checked it out and there's nothing wrong with it now.

Kati Compton
05-21-2004, 04:58 PM
It's all fixed, but there's a news item at the top mentioning that it had been hacked and that he's looking for someone that knows something about security and Linux.

WyattEarp
05-21-2004, 05:02 PM
Someone childish thought that it would be funny to hack the main page of this site. It is now back up (obviously ). Problem is that I don't have the time to work on the security of the site with my new Job and all (more on that later). If anyone out there knows Linux and would like to perhaps help with that, i would love to hear from you. Please contact us via the Submit News link.

Barry

Anyone who would like to give him a helping hand go to Pocket PC Tools (http://www.pocketpctools.com).

Why can't people just be creative instead of destructive :?: I'm pretty sure they wouldn't find it funny if someone hacked their site or PC.

Kacey Green
05-21-2004, 05:10 PM
worse yet, whoever did it probably feels that the attack was justified, because, PPCtools wasn't up to date whatever, those kinds of personalities sicken me. :pukeface2:

jake080
05-21-2004, 05:53 PM
I'm sorta a fan of hacking, but not evil sabbatoge and destroying things. Maybe something creative like, oh hey, theres a typo ill hack the site and fix it ;)

~Jake

ctmagnus
05-21-2004, 07:40 PM
I'm sorta a fan of hacking, but not evil sabbatoge and destroying things. Maybe something creative like, oh hey, theres a typo ill hack the site and fix it ;)

~Jake

Wikis! (Here's one (http://www.bcwireless.net/moin.cgi/HelpForBeginners), in case anyone isn't familiar with them.)

Janak Parekh
05-21-2004, 08:04 PM
I'll put a frontpage request out. :)

--janak

jkendrick
05-21-2004, 08:24 PM
Yeah, we're up now but it's maddening to say the least. And I don't believe there is such a thing as helpful hacking. If something doesn't belong to you don't take it. At least that's my POV.

Thanks everybody for your concerns.

jake080
05-21-2004, 09:25 PM
either way you look at it, it sucks that you had to deal with it, but hey, it brought me to your site for the first time in a couple months, and i REALLY LIKE IT!

:D

~Jake

jkendrick
05-21-2004, 09:43 PM
either way you look at it, it sucks that you had to deal with it, but hey, it brought me to your site for the first time in a couple months, and i REALLY LIKE IT!

:D

~Jake

Hey, something good came out of it! :) Check out my blog in the signature, too (shameless plug).

Kowalski
05-22-2004, 03:09 PM
reverse engineering is real fun for sure, as long as you dont hurt anybody.
but i find hackers stupid! since they dont have anything to do they make all this $hit up and make people angry
would they do this directly looking at your face?

Janak Parekh
05-23-2004, 12:33 AM
Hey guys,

Just combining threads -- please continue the discussion here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=247835#247835).

Thanks,

--janak