View Full Version : IPAQ 5555 Drops Memory (Gets amnesia)

paulzazzarino
05-20-2004, 05:48 PM
It has taken me a while to finally duplicate this hardware bug. Having placed an extended battery on a 5555 I noticed every once in a while the device would reboot and perform a hard reset.

Initially i thought this was due to a bug in the software as i performed a flash upgrade and the problem appeared to go away.

I now can dup this simply by moving the battery left to right and right to left. (up and down does nothing) Usually this happens inadvernently when grabbing the device out of the cradle. Somehow it must shunt some contacts somewhere in the device. (bummer!)

I Like the ipaq but now my data and programs are just one step away from oblivion. I got the vattery to run extended WiFI as well as the camera etc. If you switch back to the inline battery the problem does not happen since you can not exert the same force. Suggestions?

Janak Parekh
05-20-2004, 08:23 PM
I'd call HP. Sounds like the extra-capacity battery is loose. :( I haven't heard of this problem happening, although I haven't used one.

--janak

paulzazzarino
05-20-2004, 08:38 PM
I contacted HP and they sent a couple of replacements. It continues. There is just enough leverage provided by the battery to move "whatever".

1) It is arching some of the basic battery contacts
or

2) moving the whole chassis of the internal board around.

arguhh...

ctmagnus
05-20-2004, 10:06 PM
If more than one extended battery causes this problem, it sounds to me like the main unit is at fault and should be replaced.