View Full Version : Built in Calendar question

drowe
05-20-2004, 02:31 PM
When I make a new appointment in the calendar, the subject has a drop down box with several choices. The same on the location field. Is there any way to modify the choices? I only make, maybe, 1 appointment a week so using PI or Agendus really isn't worth it to me.

Thanks!

Pony99CA
05-20-2004, 03:20 PM
When I make a new appointment in the calendar, the subject has a drop down box with several choices. The same on the location field. Is there any way to modify the choices? I only make, maybe, 1 appointment a week so using PI or Agendus really isn't worth it to me.

There are really two different things going on here. The Subject field contains what I suspect is a hard-coded list of common appointment choices, and I don't think it can be changed.

However, the Location field is a Most Recently Used (MRU) list. It contains the last several locations that you entered. The simplest way to modify them is to just change the location and save the appointment. That location will now show up in the list.

If you really want to edit the locations, you can look in the Registry. Check the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Calendar\LOCMRU key to see the locations you used last. Each location will be in a key named MRUn (where n is 0-9, I think).

Steve

Sven Johannsen
05-20-2004, 03:33 PM
What pony99ca said is right, but you know you don't have to use the Subjects in the drop down, right. Just type in what you want. If you only make one a week, that shouldn't be that big a deal.

drowe
05-20-2004, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the input! I kind of figured that was the case for those fields. But coming from the Palm world, I'm still learning about my new toy.

Kowalski
05-22-2004, 02:20 PM
by the time we all have GPS the location tab will be very very usefull but till that time i dont find this option usefull so never use it

Pony99CA
05-22-2004, 05:07 PM
by the time we all have GPS the location tab will be very very usefull but till that time i dont find this option usefull so never use it
So how does this help drowe, who seems to want to use the Location field? :roll: Yes, you can enter the location in the Subject if you want, but I prefer having them separate.

As for using GPS, unless the Location field is somehow tied into the GPS program (and knows what I mean when I put "Sacred Heart" or "Home" in), I don't think you'll get what you want.

Steve

Kowalski
05-22-2004, 09:36 PM
but when the time comes and the GPS is integrated to PIM applications, alarms will be triggered by location and this will be very usefull.
we will be able to set an alarm like this "anytime i go home", instead of "by the time i go home an this is assumed to be at 1:20"

Pony99CA
05-22-2004, 11:45 PM
but when the time comes and the GPS is integrated to PIM applications, alarms will be triggered by location and this will be very usefull.
we will be able to set an alarm like this "anytime i go home", instead of "by the time i go home an this is assumed to be at 1:20"
Again, that's only if the GPS knows where "home" is. Somewhere in the Pocket PC, there would have to be a place to map friendly names (like "home") to more specific locations (a full address or latitude/longitude). The Location field of the Calendar would then need to display those entries.

Also, you're talking as much about the time here as the location. The Calendar would need to be enhanced with the concept of relative times, not absolute times like it uses now.

If that can be done, that would be a cool feature, but I wouldn't expect it soon. What you want will require at least three things:

Adding GPS support to Windows CE -- This won't be an easy task.

Adding relative times to the Calendar (and Tasks and Clock) -- This could be useful even without GPS (for example, scheduling a task after a meeting is completed).

Integrating the above changes together.
If GPS is integrated into Windows CE, I suspect one of the first things you'll see will be automatic time zone changes. That won't require the level of integration and changes that what you're proposing will.

Steve