View Full Version : ad-hoc network between wi-fi laptop and 4155?

zilla31
05-20-2004, 01:02 PM
is it possible to create an ad-hoc network between my laptop (w/ integrated wi-fi) and my 4155? i know you can do this fairly simply with two laptops but can't get it working w/ my lap and PPC... love to do this for activesync :mrgreen:

paulzazzarino
05-20-2004, 05:22 PM
You should not have a problem running in adhoc mode. I have been running a 5555 and a E-125 in adhoc constantly. For your laptop it also depends on the type of OS on your laptop and the hw vendor of the laptop. Typically if you are running XP you should not have a problem.

BUT, I have been doing extensive testing running adhoc mode between pdas and have noticed the performance is not as good as if you were running thru an Access Point. Packet loss occurs at a higher rate. Even if the devices are inches away from each other.

Activesynch is another story, I have not tried it in adhoc mode. I believe Mobile 2003 supports it. But again note: running the Ipaq in adhoc mode and using the usb port for activesynch I had greater errors with active synch as well.

Paul Martin
05-20-2004, 06:26 PM
I've been wondering the same thing. I have a Win98SE desktop at home. I attached a Netgear USB 802.11b adapter and tried to connect with my wifi card in my Pocket PC. I think I've created an ad-hoc connection, but am not sure how to utilize it. I need to try the internet connection sharing thing, but I tried it before and messed something up.

paulzazzarino
05-20-2004, 06:55 PM
Check out

http://www.analogx.com/welcome.htm

they have a free proxy server which i used in the past to go from a CE handheld to a laptop running dialup to an ISP. CE will let you set the proxy in the options tab from explorer. (better than ics)

I have since moved to dsl along with a router and cisco ap, have over a square acre of coverage and no limit on the number of devices to run on the network!

Paul Martin
05-20-2004, 06:58 PM
I've used some of analogx's other stuff and it's very good so thanks for the tip!