View Full Version : Wifi stopped working all of a sudden.

hhong
05-19-2004, 08:47 PM
I can't figure this out. I've got an Ipaq 2215 with a netgear CF wifi card. It was working great with my home wifi network. Zero configuration. It worked immediately from the start. I was able access the network, print with HP Pocket PC Print drivers to a laser printer attached to my desktop, browse desktop files, and browse the internet.

But recently, for no apparent reason, it all stopped. I can't access the network from my ppc at all. My laptop still accesses fine. My laptop and desktop communicate without a problem. I never touched the connection settings but no amount of fiddling with it helps.

Actually, when it first stopped working, I would change a setting and it would work, but then stop when I tried it again. Now it's not working no matter what I do. The connection manager is identifying the AP and no others are shown. I'm getting a good signal and it says it's connected. But when I try to browse the internet it says "can not be found." Printing results in failures and when I try to browse the network it says "server can not be found."

Any ideas on how to fix this. Other than the Wifi, everything else about the ppc seems to work fine.

OSUKid7
05-19-2004, 09:15 PM
Sounds like more of a problem with your iPaq than the WiFi card. I'd double check your connection settings. On my PPC, in Settings > Connections > Connections > Advanced > Select Networks, both fields are set to My ISP. In Connections > Network Card, it says My network card connects to: Work.

hhong
05-19-2004, 11:01 PM
Tried it. Still doesn't work :cry:

Brad Adrian
05-19-2004, 11:05 PM
I always install the Boingo sniffer on my wireless Pocket PCs to help with these kinds of troubleshooting issues. That way, you can get a bit more information about whether your Pocket PC is "seeing" the WLAN.

You can get it here:

http://www.boingo.com/download.html

hhong
05-19-2004, 11:33 PM
The Boingo Sniffer is "seeing" the LAN, but it says it can not connect to it. Actually it's worse than that. Now the card won't lock on to the signal at all. It just keeps blinking. When I tried to connect again, the program locked up.

OSUKid7
05-19-2004, 11:42 PM
Maybe try to reinstall the driver, or check for an updated one from Netgear.

hhong
05-19-2004, 11:48 PM
I did try reinstalling the driver. It did not work. Besides, the driver was working fine but the all of a sudden started stop working.

OSUKid7
05-20-2004, 12:16 AM
Besides, the driver was working fine but the all of a sudden started stop working.
Usually that's how these things happen. :wink:

Did you contact Netgear support?

hhong
05-20-2004, 12:45 AM
Well I tried the Ultimate Solution. Yes, that's right. I did a hard reset. Guess what. It still doesn't work. I had it down to the core, out of the box, default everything with nothing more installed then the wifi card driver and it still would not connect. I don't know what the problem it. I guess my network and my ppc finally, after a month of good relations, decided that they weren't going to talk to each other.

ctmagnus
05-24-2004, 05:53 AM
Do you know the make/model of your access point?

Have you tried resetting it and/or checking the settings on it?

Jorgen
05-24-2004, 06:26 AM
Assuming that you use DHCP: does it pick up a valid IP address?

If so, try disabling encryption on both the access point and the PPC and connect. Also disable the IP-address lock if you use such.

Jorgen