View Full Version : best personal finance mgmt software?

zilla31
05-19-2004, 02:27 PM
i need something to track my bills, balances, due dates, CC's etc. before i jump into demoing, what do we recommend?

SPB finance, mastersoft money?

THANKS!

zilla31
05-19-2004, 02:29 PM
PS i'm not overly concerned w/ an accounts register - more interested in just tracking balances weekly/monthly, and organizing all of my financial info (from mortgages/loans, to cc's, to accounts) in one place.

Thanks again.

Zack Mahdavi
05-19-2004, 03:44 PM
I've been using SPB Finance for a few months. It really works well for me. If you want something really simple (mainly for just keeping up with your transactions), then try KeepTrack from Ilium Soft. It makes transaction entry very fast.

I tried Mastersoft Money as well, but the program was slow and took up way too much space. Plus, I thought the interface was very cluttered and confusing.

Ripper014
05-19-2004, 05:48 PM
I have used Cash Organizer for years... and find it to be a great application... so good that I use it rather than desktop software...

Pat Logsdon
05-19-2004, 06:07 PM
Two things - first, you don't need to demo Mastersoft Money - you get it FREE as a paid subscriber to this site. :way to go: Check out the Discounts page for info. Second, I've been using Mastersoft Money for several years now, with almost daily usage. It's been one of the first things I install on any new device I get, and it's been very reliable. True, it's a bit slow at times, but I've never had a problem with the interface. The speed also increases if you use the "Optimize database" option.

Bottom line: I'm a happy customer! :mrgreen:

zilla31
05-19-2004, 06:22 PM
yeah i tried to get the free version from the discounts page but the code says "expired" in my shopping cart... i even wrote handango and they said it expired in early may sometime... i would LOVE to still take advantage... but how?

Jason Dunn
05-20-2004, 01:30 AM
I'm working on getting a new coupon - something was a little screwy there, it shouldn't have expired. Sorry about that!

zilla31
05-20-2004, 12:57 PM
jason you're the man thanks a million... i won't buy anything then i'll wait until i can *hopefully* get a free copy of mastersoft money... i'd be forever grateful - and my mind would be made up on which personal finance manager app to buy :mrgreen:

Canuck
05-20-2004, 03:01 PM
I tried spb finance, mastersoft money and Cash Organizer. Cash Organizer is the best in every way, and like the other post said, it replaces any need of desktop software. At the same time it is not too complicated. I can't recommend it enough.

zilla31
05-20-2004, 03:52 PM
it's the best in every way but you can't recommend it? why?

Canuck
05-20-2004, 04:04 PM
Its just an expression, its good really.

I actually bought the full version of Mastersoft Money, but it was very bulky and the budget feature wasn't great. More than simply knowing how much money I have (or don't), I need to be able to know where the money is going. Then based on that create a budget to keep me in the black. After that it will tell me when I'm spending too much money on software and not enough on my kids for example.
Also it handles those repeating expenses very well.

As for SPB finance, it promises to be a great product, but it just isn't there yet. They are a quality software house though and I bet the next release will be close to perfect.

Jacob
05-20-2004, 04:04 PM
it's the best in every way but you can't recommend it? why?

He said he couldn't recommend it enough. ;)

It means there is no limit to the amount of times he can recommend it.

Ripper014
05-20-2004, 04:05 PM
He said he can't recommmend it enough...

Meaning he could not be able to say enough good things about it... it is the best financial program I have used... though there have not been that many... I have tried Pocket Money, Quicken and MasterSoft's Money... but Cash Organizer is a much better product.

zilla31
05-20-2004, 05:06 PM
Oops! brain fart on my part sorry guys. I think cash organizer will be where i start looking. My deal has always been i'm not really interested in the register part - i don't have the patience to track my (or wife's) expenses as they happen... I'm more interested in tracking things on a weekly basis, keeping all my financial data in one place, and knowing at a glance how much i owe who (and how often), etc.

Jacob
05-20-2004, 05:18 PM
All URLs that I can find for Cash Organizer go to www.inesoft.com - but I can't access that.

Anyone have the real URL?

zilla31
05-20-2004, 05:24 PM
http://www.inesoft.com/eng/index.php?in=deluxe

zilla31
05-21-2004, 12:17 AM
cash organizer seems money (no pun intended) so far but my only complaint (and it's pretty big for me) is that i can't see that you can store detailed account info here... like account numbers, int. rates, due dates, etc. but maybe i'll stumble across it - still trying it out! thanks again.

CESkins
05-21-2004, 06:40 AM
cash organizer seems money (no pun intended) so far but my only complaint (and it's pretty big for me) is that i can't see that you can store detailed account info here... like account numbers, int. rates, due dates, etc. but maybe i'll stumble across it - still trying it out! thanks again.
To store detailed account info just tap Tools->Accounts->edit while you have the transaction register for the account you want to edit open.

To enter upcoming appointments just tap the account switcher icon (the one next to the SIP input) and select Planner at the top of the pop-up list. You will find that CO has an extensive set of tools for setting up bill reminders.

Hope this helps. CO Deluxe is an excellent application and almost rivals Desktop Money in its feature set.