View Full Version : Help: Cd/DVD drive not recognising any Cd-ROM/R/RW's

tanalasta
05-18-2004, 02:00 PM
Okay this problem has gotton me quite perplexed.
I have a 3 day old desktop and after a write error burning a CD, the CD-drive now no longer recognises any type of CD's. Attempting to insert a CD leaves the drive whirring for a minute before it stops - and the contents of the CD do not show.

Funny enough the DVD portion still works.

Any ideas? I am running Windows XP and have tried almost everything including driver updates; having windows re-add the hardware (no problems there). The problem seems not with the computer recognising the CD-drive but the CD drive not recognising CD's.

Darius Wey
05-18-2004, 02:10 PM
Have you tried booting into DOS and seeing if you can access the CD in there?

tanalasta
05-18-2004, 03:18 PM
yep. i ran the dell diagnostic disk from bootup menu and still couldn't access the CD-drive. I'm thinking it's a hardware failure but i want to see if i can fix it before i replace it.

Thanks!

delfuhd
05-18-2004, 06:30 PM
IU had that same problem, I think I solved it because a blue cable wasn't hooked up to my CD drive.. I guess the best idea is to make sure all the cables are connected. I have an IBM PC, with Windows XP. Sorry if that's an obvious answer.. but thatsd hwat happened to me

tanalasta
05-19-2004, 04:48 AM
Thanks for the tip! In any case, Dell are sending a techie with a new drive tomorrow to look at it. So rather than attempting to "fix" it and embarassing myself if it works, I'll leave it to him/her :P I'll post what happens!

*Addendum* Problem solved after reinstalling new hardware provided kindly by a technician under warranty. Also had to reinstall Recordnow v6 and the updated PX engine to get the burner worker but otherwise back to normal :)