View Full Version : PIM for pocket and desktop

GeorgeRe
05-17-2004, 07:58 PM
I want a PIM that synchronizes with my Windows XP desktop. I want to do most of my appointment juggling on my desktop machine, which will be synced down to my PPC, but I also want to be able to make updates on my PPC that will be reflected to my desktop when I sync.

As far as I can tell, neither of the two leading PPC PIMs, Fusion Agenda or Pocket Informant, have any desktop capabilities.

On the desktop, I'm experimenting with a trial version of Time & Chaos 6 (http://www.chaossoftware.com/chaos.asp). There is a ChaosSync for Pocket PC, which synchronizes T&C's desktop databases with the PPC's built-in Contacts, Calendars, and Tasks. There's no trial version of ChaosSync, so I haven't tried it.

Any recommendations?

Jeff Rutledge
05-17-2004, 09:03 PM
I haven't heard anything about Time & Chaos, but the PocketPC has built-in PIM functions (Calendar, Tasks, Contacts, Notes) that were designed to synchronize with Microsoft Outlook on the Desktop. Agenda Fusion and Pocket Informant both use the built-in PIM databases. As such, they're indirectly meant to be used with MS Outlook.

I don't know which model you have, but many of the PPC's ship with a software CD which includes MS Outlook.

GeorgeRe
05-17-2004, 10:07 PM
the PocketPC has built-in PIM functions (Calendar, Tasks, Contacts, Notes) that were designed to synchronize with Microsoft Outlook on the Desktop.

I forgot to mention that I have an abiding, perhaps irrational, dislike of Outlook, after having to use various versions of it for nearly a decade at previous jobs.

Agenda Fusion and Pocket Informant both use the built-in PIM databases. As such, they're indirectly meant to be used with MS Outlook.

Interesting. In principle, then, there are other desktop PIMs that can make use of the built-in PPC PIM databases. Does anyone know of such desktop apps?

Janak Parekh
05-18-2004, 02:17 AM
Does anyone know of such desktop apps?
There used to be more out there than there are today... the key is that you'd have to find a supplement for ActiveSync that supports the third-party PIM -- something like IntelliSync (http://www.intellisync.com/). I'd start with its supported PIM list first.

(Although, I have to say, Outlook XP is pretty darn nice -- even though I don't use it for email.)

--janak

jgrnt1
05-18-2004, 04:10 PM
I used to do everything I could to avoid using Outlook. I finally began using it when I bought my first iPAQ. My company also started using Outlook a couple of years ago, so I felt like I was stuck with it. I recently upgraded to Outlook 2003. I have to admit to being very impressed with it.

Kacey Green
05-19-2004, 03:39 AM
Does anyone else think that (office) 2003 is better than (offic) XP as far as Outlook is concerned, I don't see any difference other than the "feel", but after a week I was unable to go back to XP.

Jeff Rutledge
05-19-2004, 03:44 AM
I think Outlook 2003 is a big step up from it's predecessor.

Janak Parekh
05-19-2004, 04:53 AM
I think Outlook 2003 is a big step up from it's predecessor.
Agreed. Not much under the scenes (yes, Exchange-over-HTTP and Cached mode are big for Corporates), but the UI has been evolved nicely. :)

--janak

ctmagnus
05-19-2004, 04:55 AM
It has (greatly improved over previous versions) spam-filtering built in for one thing. And there's the new layout as well. But I haven't actually used it for more than a few seconds so that's all I can tell at this point, other than my next computer will have it.

Edit: forgot all about the whole corporate thing, and I honestly can't remember much of what it offers on that end.