View Full Version : how to use ipaq file store

alias2210
05-17-2004, 04:28 PM
is it advisable to use the ipaq file store for anything? the sales person told me it is better to have a copy of my contacts in ipaq file store for backup? what else is it there for anyways? if yes, how do i create a backup of it? :?:

Ripper014
05-17-2004, 04:47 PM
What machine are you using...???

With my Hp2210 there is not enough room to store a backup of my device, so I use it for my more important documents... or backup files of my more important applications such as CodeWallet, CashOrganizer... etc...

Your contacts are on your Desktop computer so I would not be overly concerned. However it does not hurt to do regular backups of your PocketPC and save them somewhere on your desktop machine. If you travel alot then I would also suggest saving a copy of your backup on a storage card... just in case something unfortunate happens... in my case if I drop my machine it is prone to do a hard reset.

Besides it is a wise thing to backup regularly... I just wish I was wise... "I think I will do a backup right now...." ;)

If you own a Hp2210 or Hp1940 series you will have a backup utility built-in... check your PocketPC... to see if you have this utility... if not I would suggest purchasing Sprite Backup if this was the only thing you ever buy for you unit... it could be well worth it. You will thank me the first time you have a mishap...

WyattEarp
05-17-2004, 05:17 PM
It depends on which iPAQ you own. I have an h5555 with a 17MB iPAQ File Store. I use it like regular memory; for programs and files. So I think of my iPAQ as having 144MB of memory. All my backups are kept on an SD card using Sprite Backup Premium Edition (http://www.spritesoftware.com/home.html). An older edition of the Sprite Backup program is built-in to all the iPAQs I believe, but if you want even more control purchase the Premium Edition.
As Ripper014 pointed out; all iPAQs don't have the same amount of FlashROM. Check your device to see what you have to work with.

Pony99CA
05-17-2004, 06:01 PM
is it advisable to use the ipaq file store for anything? the sales person told me it is better to have a copy of my contacts in ipaq file store for backup? what else is it there for anyways? if yes, how do i create a backup of it? :?:
Programs and files placed in the iPAQ File Store will survive a hard reset. If you're on the road and hard reset (intentionally or by accident), having important data there is a good idea, especially if you don't have a laptop with a recent backup of your iPAQ.

If you want to backup the File Store, it's easy. Just use ActiveSync's Explore button or Windows Explorer's Mobile Device section. Browse to the iPAQ File Store folder and copy the files there to your PC.

Steve

netboy_my
05-17-2004, 06:41 PM
I doubt I can save the iPAQ Backup file in my h4150's File Store. It's only 2.8MB and my previous backup file was 20MB!

Kowalski
05-17-2004, 11:29 PM
here is what i use the filestore for:
-backing of database of ADBidea library
-afew programs that i dont frequently use but dont want them to mess up my ram
-a couple of html pages which i make myself containing mostly used websites links

thats all that fill up my 3 megs of rom space.