View Full Version : hard reset

zafarkapadia
05-17-2004, 09:28 AM
how do i do hard reset to my 2210 ipaq

rhmorrison
05-17-2004, 09:35 AM
how do i do hard reset to my 2210 ipaq
Hard versus Soft Resets by: Salman (http://www.ipaq.net/Forums/User/UserProfile.aspx?UserName=Salman)

If your new to PocketPC and have just purchased your very first iPAQ, its probable you have come across the terms ‘Hard’ and ‘Soft’ reset. The difference between the two is very important and it will save you some frustration to learn them now.

Soft Reset

A normal or ‘soft reset’ will stop all running programs while your using the unit. The system will shutdown and restart similar to how your computer acts when you to a control-alt-delete. Any data you may have on you system be it a program or saved data will not be affected.

How perform a ‘soft’ reset:

Look for a small button inside of a little hole on the back of the unit. Use your stylus (that neat looking pen shaped device) and gently press the reset button. Your unit will restart and load up again to the Today screen.

Your iPAQ may freeze from time to time and a soft reset is usually a good remedy to this.

Hard Reset

A ‘hard’ reset is also commonly termed a Full Reset. I mentioned earlier that there is a big difference between a ‘hard’ and ‘soft’ reset. A ‘hard’ reset will clear the entire system, this includes all your programs, data and settings you may have changed. Performing a ‘hard’ reset will basically return your unit back to the original configuration when you first purchased it.

How to perform a ‘hard’ reset:

This description may vary depending on your iPAQ series. The iPAQ 2210’s ‘hard’ reset is accomplished by:

Note: Make sure to perform a full backup of your iPAQ before doing a ‘hard’ reset as all your programs, data and settings will be deleted

Holding buttons 1 and 4 and the same time WHILE using the stylus to press the reset button on the back of your PocketPC (the button pressed in the ‘soft’ reset).

BTW: RTFM :devilboy:

zafarkapadia
05-17-2004, 09:50 AM
Thanks Salman , but i have tried this and it is not working.

rhmorrison
05-17-2004, 12:15 PM
Thanks Salman , but i have tried this and it is not working.
You must follow the directions EXACTLY for it to work.

Here from the hp 2210 User's Manual:

Performing a Full Reset

A full reset is sometimes referred to as a “hard reset.” Perform a full reset when you want to clear all settings, programs, and data from RAM.

A full reset deactivates the battery. The power button does not function until the battery is reactivated.

CAUTION: If you perform a full reset, your iPAQ Pocket PC returns to its default settings and loses all information that is not recorded in ROM.

To perform a full reset:

1. Press and hold Application Buttons 1 (Calendar) and 4 (iTask) on the front of the unit and, at the same time, use the stylus to press the Reset button on the back of your iPAQ Pocket PC.

2. Hold all buttons until the displayed image begins to fade (approximately four seconds).

3. Release the Application Buttons and stylus.

To verify a full reset, press the Power button. If the iPAQ Pocket PC has been fully reset, it does not power on.

4. Reactivate the battery by:

Connecting the iPAQ Pocket PC to AC power or by pressing the Reset button with the stylus

Mobile_Bear
05-17-2004, 02:13 PM
1. Press and hold Application Buttons 1 (Calendar) and 4 (iTask) on the front of the unit and, at the same time, use the stylus to press the Reset button on the back of your iPAQ Pocket PC.

:idea: I found out that the only way I was able to perform this "juggling act", is to place your Ipaq on your left hand (I am righthanded), facing down, with your fingertips at the Calendar and iTask buttons, and press the reset button with your stylus with the right hand.

Hope this helps.

Kacey Green
05-18-2004, 01:08 AM
YOU THERE! What are you trying to do to Rex?, No no no you're doing it all wrong. Its like this... oops :oops: :puppydogeyes:

zafarkapadia
05-18-2004, 03:25 PM
Thanks Guys it is Done
button 1 + 4 and the soft reset button is what the solution is but must do the soft reset with little strenght.

Thanks Guys