View Full Version : Upgrade to Server Sync?

jalm1
05-17-2004, 05:04 AM
Does anyone know when there will be an update the server sync feature in WM? I am looking forward to when Microsoft will include task and note support to their wireless synchronization.
Also, what would it take for such an upgrade to take place? Would it be a device software update, or would it require a totally new OS update?

Janak Parekh
05-18-2004, 01:51 AM
Unfortunately, I've heard nothing on this subject. :( It's indeed one of the reasons I haven't bothered using Server ActiveSync. Interestingly, the Smartphone has neither Tasks or Notes, so that might lead to an interesting set of conclusions.

--janak

jalm1
05-18-2004, 02:33 AM
I haven’t heard much on the subject either. I am still curious to know what it would take for such an upgrade to occur. I would hope some downloadable incremental update and not a full fledged OS update, but that is what I fear. Additionally, I don’t know if MS is planning on including this in their new OS (not 2003 SE, but what ever is next 2004, or 05). It seems strange they didn’t include it to being with since they entered the market after some of the established competitors and after one of them announced they would offer full support. The server sync isn’t the greatest in the world, but seems to get the job done for the few systems it works for. A more total wireless sync would have been better, but I guess that is MS. I hope that when a PPCPE blackberry option (or for that matter Goods PPC client is released) they will not require a new device (Good will not, but I don’t know about the blackberry software) and since by the time the stacks are released both systems will have full outlook wireless sync. Maybe, MS wants to get out of the server sync arena and leave it to the two existing player (although that seems to defy their plans for dominance in wireless device (both smartphones and PPCPE, and WiFi PPC’s), but who know, maybe someone.

Janak Parekh
05-18-2004, 02:48 AM
Additionally, I don’t know if MS is planning on including this in their new OS (not 2003 SE, but what ever is next 2004, or 05).
It's a good question. I don't know, and even if I did, I wouldn't be able to say. :(

I'll be watching as closely as you are.

--janak