View Full Version : iPaq 5550 Buttons

deadfolk
05-16-2004, 03:59 PM
I'm returning my second Toshiba e800 tomorrow due to screen defects (don't get me started), and I am considering replacing it with an iPaq 5550.

My concern is this, however - I have read reports about iPaqs having a limitation which prevents you from pressing more than one button at a time. Nothing I've found metions whether this is still a problem with the current generation (i.e. the 5550). This is a concern, as one of the things I intend to use it for is gaming.

Could anyone please shed any light?

buckyg
05-16-2004, 04:18 PM
I believe the button issue that you refer to only applies to some earlier iPAQ models. I use my 5555 for gaming and don't have an issue.

Now, having said that, the issue you may run into is the size of the "D-pad". I believe that's the correct term for the directional pad that you would use like a joystick in some games. It's small, so if you have big fingers like me, it takes some getting used to for games. It's especially an issue if the game requires the "action button", which I believe is pressing dead center on the pad. If possible, I map that to another button if it is required.

Hope that helps.

arnage2
05-16-2004, 05:20 PM
the 5555 is one of the best ppcs for gaming. Id wait for the asus 730

Kowalski
05-16-2004, 06:50 PM
not only for gaming, the a730 will be the best around for a while when hit the shelves.

jnajera
05-17-2004, 04:34 AM
Ipaqs are the best for gaming. That is false, none of the newer units have button issues.

Janak Parekh
05-18-2004, 01:49 AM
My concern is this, however - I have read reports about iPaqs having a limitation which prevents you from pressing more than one button at a time. Nothing I've found metions whether this is still a problem with the current generation (i.e. the 5550). This is a concern, as one of the things I intend to use it for is gaming.
Actually, the e800 has much more trouble with gaming -- there's a slight lag when using buttons on it, which makes it difficult for some action games. :|

--janak

buckyg
05-18-2004, 02:41 AM
Thanks, Janak, I hadn't heard about this problem with the e800. Makes me glad I'm holding off to see what new models HP and/or others bring out soon.

Janak Parekh
05-18-2004, 02:57 AM
Thanks, Janak, I hadn't heard about this problem with the e800.
Yeah - take a look at this Google search (http://www.google.com/search?q=e800+button+lag&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8). :( I don't use my e800 for those kinds of games, fortunately.

--janak

deadfolk
05-18-2004, 06:35 PM
Thanks all - that puts my mind at rest.
I tried a third Toshiba, which also had dead pixels, and was returned today in favour of a spanking new iPaq 5550.

Welcome me to Club Fiorina!! :D

Kacey Green
05-19-2004, 03:51 AM
Rex supports multiple button presses, app buttons and if the program supports it it can even do diagonal directions