View Full Version : best console emulators?

zilla31
05-15-2004, 06:20 PM
i'm brand new to console emulators on the PPC (even though i do have a SNES emulator on my laptop that i love). Can anyone recommend a good emulator? i'm looking for something that will run roms WELL. i love games like mike tyson's punchout and would love to run them on my PPC...

couple of other questions:

x. Is the basic process the same as on the PC - e.g. install the emulator, then copy the ROM(s) onto the PPC then just rock and roll? can you run emulator's/ROMs from SD?

1. Where can i find out how to change games into ROMs or BUY some ROMs to run on whatever emulator i end up installing?

2. I love old lucas arts games but when i google pocket scumm all i find is german sites :) anyone know where i can get that?

3. i've found out a bit about morphgear - is that worth getting? supposedly it runs several different console's ROMs?

Thanks a lot - i really did do a search here in the forums and learned a lot - but these are questions i still have outstanding before i dive in.

Wiggster
05-15-2004, 06:53 PM
i'm brand new to console emulators on the PPC (even though i do have a SNES emulator on my laptop that i love). Can anyone recommend a good emulator? i'm looking for something that will run roms WELL. i love games like mike tyson's punchout and would love to run them on my PPC...
If you've got a newer PDA, MorphGear runs really well. It's not fully up-to-speed on, say, some more intense SNES or GBA games, but every ROM I use on that is playable.

x. Is the basic process the same as on the PC - e.g. install the emulator, then copy the ROM(s) onto the PPC then just rock and roll? can you run emulator's/ROMs from SD?
Yep, exact same. Install an emulator wherever you want (I put MorphGear onto my SD card, along with some roms), and you can load roms from on the device or on a storage card (or even over a network).

1. Where can i find out how to change games into ROMs or BUY some ROMs to run on whatever emulator i end up installing?

I'm afraid I don't know offhand, I'd suggest :google: ing to find out. Also, do a search for public domain roms, these are going to be free ROMs that you can legally download. There are quite a few out there for all the old systems.

2. I love old lucas arts games but when i google pocket scumm all i find is german sites :) anyone know where i can get that?
Afraid I can't help you (and if you don't own the game, downloading it would probably be illegal)

3. i've found out a bit about morphgear - is that worth getting? supposedly it runs several different console's ROMs?
Try it for yourself! As it says on the site, the SNES, GEnesis, and TurboGrafx-16 games will all work for free without buying the program. If you try any other ROMs, it'll let you play them for five minutes before warning you to buy the program. That's more than enough time to decide whether or not you think it's playable... especially if you try out a few ROMs.

Thanks a lot - i really did do a search here in the forums and learned a lot - but these are questions i still have outstanding before i dive in.
Good deal. Myself, I'm a Morphgear (http://www.morphgear.com/) fan, and others might recommend Pocket NES (http://pocketnes.retrogames.com/) for SNES (or PocketVCS (http://pocketvcs.emuunlim.com/) if you want Atari games), but MorphGear plays all the game systems I own that i want to have games on the go for.

The only problem is that I want a controller for my Pocket PC to play this... anyone know if they exist? :mrgreen:

zilla31
05-15-2004, 07:15 PM
THANKS SO MUCH FOR REPLYING! In case you're interested i have a new 4155.

ok so is there a difference between say morphgear and SNES when it comes to playing SNES games?

in morphgear for example - since you don't have a controller per say (obviously) do you just map hard buttons to A + B etc.?

second, i have several SNES ROMs on my laptop (using an SNES emulator for some time now), including tyson's punchout... will those same ROMs work with morphgear or pocketSNES?

i won't download any illegal ROMs but would definitely buy them - aren't these games in the $5 bin these days, if not abandonware? i'll check ebay i guess.

zilla31
05-15-2004, 07:18 PM
Oops it's a NES (not SNES) emulator i have here on my laptop... NesterJ something. The ROMs are super small like 300kb each but play great - i'd love to move some of these i have bought over to the PPC 8O

Wiggster
05-15-2004, 07:22 PM
ok so is there a difference between say morphgear and SNES when it comes to playing SNES games?

in morphgear for example - since you don't have a controller per say (obviously) do you just map hard buttons to A + B etc.?
Yep, you just map the hardware buttons on your iPAQ to the buttons for each of the consoles. I have my Inbox and Today buttons mapped to A and B, Calendar and Contacts to X and Y, and my side button mapped to Start. I'm missing out on Select, L, and R, but I don't play games that need them. It takes a while to get used to playing with the PDa buttons, but it's doable.

second, i have several SNES ROMs on my laptop (using an SNES emulator for some time now), including tyson's punchout... will those same ROMs work with morphgear or pocketSNES?
Yep, if they work with SNES9x or zSNES or any PC emulator, they should work with the Pocket PC emulators.

i won't download any illegal ROMs but would definitely buy them - aren't these games in the $5 bin these days, if not abandonware? i'll check ebay i guess.
Yea, hard to find a lot of these, but the real fun is beating the games you loved as a child again and again... at least for a while :wink:

zilla31
05-15-2004, 07:44 PM
ok as long as i have your ear... i've read people complaining that on the ipaq's you can't press 2 buttons at the same time so that kind of crushes gaming... is that still true with my 4155 since it's a fairly new model?

second - is there a gamepad available as an attachment? i was a benQ but it's for 3xxx or 5xxx i think only...

THANKS again.