View Full Version : Activate MS Reader

Chuckwrox
05-15-2004, 04:28 PM
Ugh!

So after a hard reset to my iPaq I reinstalled MS Reader to read all the juicey stuff I DL'd from MS site last summer, but it's not activating! Has MS ditched us? I get as far as signing into their website with my Passport, but then it just presents the same log in page, again. No error, the login is correct, it's just not progressing. Of course I've tried a different browser but MS only likes their IE browser. Anybody have the scoop?

christheswiss
05-15-2004, 05:06 PM
This may have something to do with your browser settings, I had the same problem, but this was awhile ago.
Try to delete the cookies and play with the setting that allows cookies or not.
Good Luck !

mysticzzz
06-08-2004, 01:58 PM
This reply may be out of date for you, but I have had the same problems with MSreader activation website. I eventually found the only link I could get to work is at the fictionwise.com website, you should be able to get to it throuh their menus. I Eventually solved my problem by buying only mobipocket or palm format ebooks. :lol:

baker
06-08-2004, 05:16 PM
Clear out your cookies and the activation should proceed.

ironguy
06-09-2004, 04:33 PM
Here's a blurb I found on pocketpctools on how to save your MSReader activation files. It'll help the next time around. :idea:

1. Click on the Activesync icon which is on the right hand side of the Taskbar on your desktop to pop up the Activesync window.
2. Click on the "Explore" option in Activesync to navigate the folders in your mobile device.

3. Go to My Pocket PC/Windows and copy the following files:
- secrepid.dat
- secrep.dat
- secrep.dll
- secrep.xml
- Microsoft Activation.unload
4. Create a folder with-in the My Documents folder on your desktop PC. You can give a meaningful name to this folder such as "Microsoft Reader Activation".
5. Paste all the above-mentioned files into this folder.
6. Now whenever you do a hard reset on your Pocket PC, you can copy and paste these files back into the Windows folder of your Pocket PC and your Microsoft Reader application will be activated automatically.

wing
08-10-2004, 10:57 AM
vER 2.3

i didn't find
SECREP.DLL

but i did find
MICROSOFT READER.UNLOAD

Jorgen
08-10-2004, 01:53 PM
The text above (which I BTW recognise as mine) assume that you have activated your reader. All files are in \Windows on your PPC. If you have not activated your reader, do so now.

If you have activated, copy the Microsoft Activation.unload to your computer and read the contents into for example notepad. Or start a DOS-box, go to the directory you copied it to and execute

type micros~1.unl

This should show the names of the other four files.

Jorgen