View Full Version : PPC2003SE Release Date?

Mark Johnson
05-14-2004, 07:03 PM
Is it just me or do you folks also remember that Microsoft always announced a Public Release Date for each new generation of the PPC? I seem to recall that there was (like a couple months in advance) an announcement that "On Date X the new Palm-Sized PC's will be available in retail outlets" and "The new Pocket PC 2002 units will be in stores on X date" and so on.

Didn't Microsoft formely make a big deal about the "public unveiling" of each new version? If so, the where's the announcement for PPC2003SE?

I'm not sure if the silence from Redmond means:
1) There will be an announcement, but the bad news is that the hardware is still MANY weeks (or even months) away which is why we haven't made an announcement YET.
2) There won't be an announcement. We know that there is so very little difference between PPC2003SE and PPC2003 that we want the release to be quiet so we're not embarassed by what will inevitably be gigantic public apathy.

This whole train of thought for me is more than my ongoing griping about the glacial pace of innovation on the PPC platform in the last two years. :soapbox: This is more about the fact that having now seen the Loox (sure, its "SE", but it's still the same sorry QVGA hardware we've had for two years) and also there TOTAL silence on any rumors of new small-size VGA units.

I mean I know that Microsoft has strong Non-Disclosure Agreements applied to anyone who might have seen any hypothetical VGA units, but even MS can't keep this tight a lid on the news. I'm now really starting to think that the hardware on the market today is exactly the same as we will get in the "next cycle" of PPC2203SE units - there will be no significant changes...

The emperor has no clothes...

Kevin C. Tofel
05-14-2004, 07:51 PM
I don't think there will be any further announcements from Microsoft. Since is really just a "sub-version" upgrade and has been provided to the OEM's, I think it's really in the hands of the device manufacturers now.

If the new PPC OS was built on a brand new platform or would require radically different specs (and therefore radically new devices) I think the situation would be different. As it is, some current devices can already take full advantage of an SE upgrade.....so really, what's left for Microsoft to announce?

I'm just patiently waiting for my SE upgrade on Toshiba's site......I say patiently, but I'm checking every hour on the hour! :wink:

KCT