View Full Version : Keyboard shortcuts

Jeff Rutledge
05-13-2004, 05:44 PM
The discussion here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21870&start=30)got me thinking about keyboard shortcuts. Who uses them? Which ones?

I thought it might be interesting to start a thread in which we could list our favourite O/S and application shortcuts.

To get started, here are some we published in an IT newsletter (bear in mind that this was sent to non-IT people so there may be some very obvious ones in here):

Windows Shortcuts
1. CTRL + Shift + Escape – This starts the Task Manager. When you have an unresponsive application, the Task Manager will allow you to identify it and close it.

2. ALT + TAB – This shortcut allows you to toggle between open applications.

3. Windows + D – A shortcut that allows you to toggle between your current screen and the desktop. (The Windows key is on the bottom row to the left of the space bar between CTRL and ALT).

4. Windows + E – This starts Windows Explorer, which allows you to navigate to a file or folder.

5. Windows + M – Select this shortcut to minimize all of your screens.

6. Windows + F – This shortcut lets you search for files and folders.

7. F1 – This key opens the Help menu.

8. Alt + F4 – To close the active window use this shortcut.

Outlook Shortcuts
1. CTRL + N – A shortcut that lets you open new mail/task/appointment, etc. (depending where you are in Outlook).

2. CTRL + Shift + M, C, A, K, Q – Depending on the letter you select, this opens a new Mail message, Contact, Appointment, Task and Request.

3. F7 – This key lets you spell check your mail message.

4. ALT + F4 – This shortcut closes Outlook.

5. CTRL + Enter – Select this shortcut to send your message.

axe
05-13-2004, 05:49 PM
Actually the CTRL +C or CTRL +V work on the PPC keyboard too! There was a note in the PPCMag email-newsletter about it a few weeks back about kybd shortcuts that work on the PPC.
FYI
AXE

Jeff Rutledge
05-13-2004, 05:51 PM
Actually the CTRL +C or CTRL +V work on the PPC keyboard too! There was a note in the PPCMag email-newsletter about it a few weeks back about kybd shortcuts that work on the PPC.
FYI
AXE

That's true. I was just thinking that I should have posted this in Off Topic instead of Just Chattin' as these are Windows shortcuts, not Windows Mobile. I'm not sure of many that translate to the PPC other than Ctrl+X/C/V. Hopefully this will be enhanced with future versions of the O/S.

Jeff Rutledge
05-13-2004, 05:52 PM
Another one:

Shift+F10 opens the contextual menu (same as a right-click).

Mitch D
05-14-2004, 04:00 AM
Question for you Jeff,

Do you mind if I use your post in my next store newsletter? It would come in handy to the less computer savey @ work, both in the store and at home.

Jeff Rutledge
05-14-2004, 06:46 AM
Go for it!

JustinGTP
05-14-2004, 09:31 PM
To get to the Task Manager, I use:

Ctrl + Alt + Del

Control Alt and Delete! I have never heard of the Ctrl Shift and Esc before. Funny hey!

In Word,

Ctrl + Shift + P = Font Size

and

Ctrl + P = Print Document Screen, both of which I use frequently.

A guy at my school doesn't even use the mouse to get to anything, he knows a lot of shortcuts. But then again, I am most definitely not that geeky!

-Justin.