View Full Version : newbie question: installing to SD card?

zilla31
05-13-2004, 02:18 PM
It seems that no matter how carefully i plan out my search string on this board, or how many options i check to refine it, i can never get what i want back even though i KNOW it's there :devilboy:

so onto the question that i know has been answered but hopefully some good samaritan will answer one more time:

i'm very new to PPC (been a palm user forever beforhand) and was wondering about installing to an SD card (if i get one). is the process just to change the install directory to a directory on the card and that's it?

just trying to figure out how exactly you install programs to an SD card using activesync, and have them still work as normal from the PPC :D

zilla31
05-13-2004, 02:21 PM
oh and a quick follow up question: if i do get an SD (my internal is almost full) what's the easiest way to MOVE some of my programs over there and not break them?

andrei
05-13-2004, 03:33 PM
Use active sync to install on the SD card. All you need to do is to change the installtion folder when asked. However, you can't install on a card using the ppc installation file (.cab).

As far as I know you can't move them from the PPC to a card, the only solution is to re-install them. Pocket PC installs applications pretty much like Windows. On a Palm you can move them because the applications are all in one place, and usually in one file. As I said, PPCs are different.

Raynne
05-13-2004, 03:57 PM
When you install programs through Active Sync, it will ask if you want to install to the default location. Say No, and a pull down menu will come up, and you can choose your SD card from there.

You can install .cab files to an SD card with a program called cabinstll that can be found on freewareppc.com.

You could use a registry editor after you move files to the SD card to change where the program points, but I think it is easier, and safer, to just go ahead and reinstall.

zilla31
05-13-2004, 04:00 PM
ok makes sense thanks a million. what about any settings/configurations i have for programs? i guess you can locate those and copy them to the new installation directory manually? just don't want to have to configure everything again!

Raynne
05-13-2004, 04:17 PM
It might depend on the particular program. A lot of times, I will uninstall a program to reinstall an upgrade, and my settings will still be present.