View Full Version : What will ActiveSync do?

schmenge
05-12-2004, 02:09 AM
I ma getting readdy to move to a new PC. Currently using Oulook 2000 and will be going to 2003. However I am going to use the same .pst file. I assume that after Iinstall ActiveSync I'll need to establish a new partnership. Will ActiveSync realize that all the data is the same or will I end up with duplicates?

I also know that XP has a setting transfer utility. Can I/any benefit to transfer my ActiveSync settings from the old (w98) to the new (XP Pro)?

Steven Cedrone
05-12-2004, 03:57 AM
When I upgraded I didn't have any problems at all...

Steve

Kacey Green
05-12-2004, 04:28 AM
I heard somewhere that the setting and transfer wizzard needed a null modem cable... but the help file says a network connection will work
you could give it a try but a null modem is serial so it will take forever.

Connecting Your Computers
For the best experience using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard, you will want to connect your two computers together. You can connect your computers either by using a null modem serial cable or by using Home networking.

Connecting With A Serial Cable
The easiest way to connect your computers is to use the null modem serial cable. To use the null modem serial cable:

Both computers must have an available serial port (also called a COM port).
You must have a null modem serial cable (also called a LapLink serial cable or a serial file transfer cable).
The serial cable must be long enough to connect the computers together.

Click here for additional information about connecting your computers using a null modem serial cable.

Connecting With Home Networking
The best way to connect your computers together is to use Home networking. Although the setup is more complex, your files and settings will transfer faster. If you are planning to keep both your old computer and your new computer, you might want to consider creating a Home network.

To use Home networking:

Both computers must have a network interface card or a USB network interface installed. The jack looks like a slightly larger telephone jack.
You must have network cable, and in most cases a hub.
The network cable must be long enough to connect the computers together.
Note: A wireless network will not need network cable or a hub.

Steven Cedrone
05-12-2004, 01:17 PM
O.K., now that I have time!!!

What I did was this:

Sync'd one last time on my old PC. (make sure you are syncing everthing! All appts., etc. - go into ActiveSync and configure this!)

Made backup of .pst file.

Fully backed up the Pocket PC, JIC.

I built my new machine. Added Outlook. Added old .pst. Wiped out the tasks, appointments, contacts. Added ActiveSync. Sync'd. Created a partnership and had everything back.

Or you can just use a blank .pst and sync and get everything back (in case you missed something you could always open the backup .pst file)

Another thing you could try (but I've never done this):

Use PHM PowerToys (http://www.phm.lu/Products/PocketPC/PowerToys/) to wipe out the databases on the Pocket PC and sync with the new desktop (if you didn't delete anything from the .pst file), it would also (in theory) put everything back without any problems.

I hope I haven't "muddied" the waters for you. Feel free to post back here with any questions/concerns...

Steve

schmenge
05-12-2004, 07:43 PM
Thanks Steven, I never thought about killing the data on the PC end of things. The reason for my concern is that I sync at work with Lotus Notes and I've always had to kill eveything in Notes before the first sync. Somehow this hoses the Notes address book and I end up having to redo that. ot a big deal, just a pain. But if Synchrolgic (software to sycn with Notes) doesn't see a change in the PPC data I should be home free.

OSUKid7
05-13-2004, 03:47 AM
I would not recommended using the XP settings transfer wizard. It puts back too much stuff that you don't need/want.

I'd also recommended doing a clean install vs. upgrade - especially if you have a lot of programs.