View Full Version : Microsoft Abandons WiFi Hardware Effort

Jason Dunn
05-11-2004, 11:37 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.com.com/2100-7351_3-5209677.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=news' target='_blank'>http://news.com.com/2100-7351_3-520...=feed&subj=news</a><br /><br /></div>"Despite quickly becoming one of the leading sellers of wireless networking products, Microsoft has decided to discontinue its entire line of Wi-Fi gear, CNET News.com has learned. A source close to the company said Microsoft entered the Wi-Fi field with hopes of "raising the bar" on security, ease-of-use and performance and now feels it has accomplished those goals. Microsoft confirmed the move late Monday. <br /><br />"After careful evaluation, the Microsoft hardware group has decided to scale back its broadband hardware and networking business," a representative said. "Instead, the plan is to apply the knowledge we have gained in that category to future products and services." The move is a dramatic turnaround, considering the company just introduced a USB version of its 802.11g product in February and has only been in the market since September 2002. The company had quickly gained market share in the wireless networking market but lost some ground when it was slower than rivals in introducing 802.11g products."<br /><br />Oh no! 8O I really liked Microsoft's networking hardware, especially their router/access points - the software setup was painless, the instructions were clear, and the products worked quite well. In fact, I was able to abandon the idea of a second access point for reaching the top floor of my home when I switched from a D-Link AP to the Microsoft MN-500. My MN-700 has been a little flaky but overall quite good. I wonder why Microsoft is dropping out? Could it be a concession to other WiFi vendors in order to get them to cooperate with Microsoft initiatives? That's a big sacrifice if so...

opus
05-12-2004, 03:36 AM
I agree this is a great pity. I am extremely satisfied with my MN-700, both hardware and software.

I guess mice and keyboards are the only pieces of hardware that have ever really held MS's attention.

Thefo
05-12-2004, 04:32 AM
Bummer, I've had both an MN 100, and now a MN 700 and both work great...I hope they will still release firmware updates for a while ?

LouL
05-12-2004, 05:19 AM
I hope they release a firmware update (before they drop complete support), that fixes the Cisco VPN disconnect problem.

JackyTheBeaver
05-12-2004, 06:41 AM
Yeah it's such a pity. I have just switched all my networking gear to Microsoft brand including the wireless B router, an USB wireless G adapter, and a notebook wireless B adapter. Just days ago I convinced my friend who is setting up his wireless home network to purchase Microsoft brand.

I used to use SMC wireless networking gears but the connection is always flaky. The adapters will suddenly stop transmitting for a few seconds and that usually wreck my online games. The wireless router itself will sometime mysteriously lose all signal strength for half a minute or so. After I switched everything to Microsoft the issues have disappeared.

I wonder if I should go out there and grab the Microsoft wireless G router before it completely disappear from the shelves.

bdegroodt
05-12-2004, 01:24 PM
I just bought an MN-500 and (aside from the firmware being about 6 months out of date), I love it. I even give MSFT credit for the hardware design. That said, I was sad to hear this news until I thought about the fact that my router has firmware that's pretty old compared to the product's life to date. So, my guess is that if a retailer is sitting on stock that's over 6 months old, MSFT must be having a real problem getting these things to move, relative to their business plan. This, of course, assumes that MSFT's manufacturer would flash the latest firmware release on all newly manufactured units. Inventory sitting for 6 months is likely to drive any reseller nuts.

cmchavez
05-12-2004, 04:42 PM
I have to agree with the general concensus; I originally used a SpeedStream router\wireless gateway that eventually dropped dead. On my way to Best Buy to pick up a replacement, I stopped off for some household stuff at Target. I saw the MN-700 for $69 and was impressed by the feature set it listed and the boasted ease of use. I bought it, set it up, and forgot about it ever since; it has worked for me that well.

Sometimes, the best hardware or products in general, are the ones that you don't have to think about all the time.

possmann
05-12-2004, 05:20 PM
That does suck! they get something right and then pulg the plug - :cry:

karen
05-12-2004, 07:50 PM
...unless you were an early adopter...

I bought on of the first wireless routers. The MS newgroups were filled with complaints of losing IPs, which happened to me.

Both the retailer I bought it from and MS said the woraround was to reboot the ap. I had to do it about every 20 mintues. I found that unacceptable.

So I finally got the retailer to refund my money, but not until I made several calls to MS and FS. MS said there would be no replacement as it worked if you rebooted it every 20 minutes.

So I no longer buy MS hardware.

Lucky Bob
05-12-2004, 10:36 PM
I have two of Microsoft's routers (wired and wireless), and they're awesome. Easy to set up and connect to. This is too bad. :cry:

JackyTheBeaver
05-12-2004, 11:05 PM
As far as I can tell, Microsoft hardware only does about 3 things: mouse/keyboard, networking, and gaming hardware. It seems Microsoft has halted their line of joysticks and game pads as well, seeing how no new products have come out for a while now.

Janak Parekh
05-13-2004, 04:12 AM
I guess mice and keyboards are the only pieces of hardware that have ever really held MS's attention.
Actually... they ditched their best keyboard -- the Natural Pro. :cry:

So I finally got the retailer to refund my money, but not until I made several calls to MS and FS. MS said there would be no replacement as it worked if you rebooted it every 20 minutes.
That's just wrong. That must have been an issue with that individual support tech. I could never imagine MS actually trying to justify that. :| I'm sorry to hear you had to put up with it.

--janak

JackyTheBeaver
05-13-2004, 06:07 AM
Is it really true that Microsoft ditched its Natural Pro keyboard? I think you can still get this keyboard, the only catch is now you need to buy the mouse/keyboard combo in order to get it.

Janak Parekh
05-13-2004, 04:00 PM
Is it really true that Microsoft ditched its Natural Pro keyboard? I think you can still get this keyboard, the only catch is now you need to buy the mouse/keyboard combo in order to get it.
No, they truly and utterly ditched it. They've come up with replacements, like the "Natural Multimedia", but they're far inferior -- among other things, they have an "F-Lock". :pukeface: Most of them even use a PS/2 port and don't have USB ports on them. And, the touch isn't as nice. The keyboard is even becoming rare on Ebay, and is rising in value as people continue to covet them.

Microsoft's hardware decisions are utterly confusing. :|

--janak

Jeff Rutledge
05-13-2004, 04:06 PM
-- among other things, they have an "F-Lock". :pukeface:

Microsoft's hardware decisions are utterly confusing. :|

--janak

No kidding! This drives me nuts! Why the F-Lock can't remember it's state it bad enough, but the fact that they turn it ON by default is insane! Only Microsoft would assume I'm so happy with their new feature that I would rather use their shortcuts instead of the standard F-Functions. I don't need Alt+F4 to close apps anymore, F4 will create a New document now.

Bizarre decision...

JackyTheBeaver
05-13-2004, 04:56 PM
Actually, the Logitech black Elite keyboard also can't remember the state of its F-keys. I have both the Microsoft multimedia keyboard and the Logitech Elite keyboard.

yslee
05-13-2004, 06:05 PM
that's strange, never had a problem with the f-lock on my logitech keyboard. haven't touched it after disabling it from day one.

Jason Dunn
05-13-2004, 06:34 PM
No kidding! This drives me nuts! Why the F-Lock can't remember it's state it bad enough, but the fact that they turn it ON by default is insane! Only Microsoft would assume I'm so happy with their new feature that I would rather use their shortcuts instead of the standard F-Functions. I don't need Alt+F4 to close apps anymore, F4 will create a New document now.

Here's the solution to that problem:

http://www.mvps.org/jtsang/flock.html

It flips the behaviour around, so now when it's "off" (which it does every reboot), it's really "on". Net result, you don't have to touch it again.

Janak Parekh
05-13-2004, 07:59 PM
It flips the behaviour around, so now when it's "off" (which it does every reboot), it's really "on". Net result, you don't have to touch it again.
Not quite. :( I use both Insert and Print Screen a lot and they're on the same key. :cry: That's why I went back to a spare Pro...

--janak

Jeff Rutledge
05-13-2004, 08:07 PM
Here's the solution to that problem:

http://www.mvps.org/jtsang/flock.html

Outstanding. Thanks Jason!

Kacey Green
05-14-2004, 11:24 AM
Not quite. :( I use both Insert and Print Screen a lot and they're on the same key. :cry: That's why I went back to a spare Pro...

--janak

Janak, what MS keyboard are you using my MS office keyboard has the insert and print screen buttons side by side.

Janak Parekh
05-15-2004, 05:36 AM
Janak, what MS keyboard are you using my MS office keyboard has the insert and print screen buttons side by side.
I'm only talking about the Natural split-key keyboards. The current MS models do not have Print Screen and Insert on separate keys. The Natural Pro and Elite keyboards did. Why they changed this, I don't know. :|

--janak

Kacey Green
05-16-2004, 04:55 AM
I'm only talking about the Natural split-key keyboards. The current MS models do not have Print Screen and Insert on separate keys. The Natural Pro and Elite keyboards did. Why they changed this, I don't know. :|

--janak

What a waste, their OS supports both those functions, it should be easy to access either of those, my next keyboard will be a logitech (unless the market changes first :wink: )

peterawest
05-16-2004, 10:24 PM
Does anyone know who makes the networking equipment for Microsoft? Or does MS actually make it themselves?

If it's someone else, then at least I'll still be able to get the hardware I'm happy with, even if has a different brand.

JackyTheBeaver
05-27-2004, 11:08 PM

--janak

What a waste, their OS supports both those functions, it should be easy to access either of those, my next keyboard will be a logitech (unless the market changes first :wink: )

I'd been using logitech keyboards all my life, until I developed a tendency to use ergonomic keyboards. As far as I know, Logitech only makes one kind of ergonomic keyboard, and I don't think it's wireless. So when I needed a wireless ergonomic keyboard, I just had to go with Microsoft. Sure it's annoying that they don't even have separate print screen and insert keys, it sure is comfortable using them.

to peterawest: I have a feeling that these networking gears are actually manufactured by Microsoft themsevles.

JackyTheBeaver
05-27-2004, 11:12 PM
... In fact, I was able to abandon the idea of a second access point for reaching the top floor of my home when I switched from a D-Link AP to the Microsoft MN-500. My MN-700 has been a little flaky but overall quite good. I wonder why Microsoft is dropping out? Could it be a concession to other WiFi vendors in order to get them to cooperate with Microsoft initiatives? That's a big sacrifice if so...

Jason, I just purchased a MN-700 for my home network and has set it up in Access Point mode (connected to my MN-500). So far there has been a couple incidents where the wireless G connection suddenly became "unavailable", but in less than a minute the connection is resumed on its own. Is this the same "flaky" behavior you mentioned in your post?

- Jack

Pat Logsdon
05-27-2004, 11:19 PM
Does anyone know who makes the networking equipment for Microsoft? Or does MS actually make it themselves?

If it's someone else, then at least I'll still be able to get the hardware I'm happy with, even if has a different brand.

Looks like (http://xpdigitalmedia.com/2003_08_10_archive.htm) it's Accton (http://www.accton.com/homepage/index.htm).

Janak Parekh
05-30-2004, 04:35 AM
I'd been using logitech keyboards all my life, until I developed a tendency to use ergonomic keyboards. As far as I know, Logitech only makes one kind of ergonomic keyboard, and I don't think it's wireless. So when I needed a wireless ergonomic keyboard, I just had to go with Microsoft. Sure it's annoying that they don't even have separate print screen and insert keys, it sure is comfortable using them.
Actually, the only Logitech natural keyboard (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=1,CONTENTID=6012) is wireless and is bundled with a wireless mouse, and that's the reason I don't adopt them -- I prefer my keyboards wired and I prefer a different mouse (the MX-700). :)

--janak

Jonathon Watkins
06-01-2004, 01:42 AM
I prefer my keyboards wired and I prefer a different mouse (the MX-700). :)

Ah - so it's not just me that likes to have a wired keyboard. :D

Kacey Green
06-04-2004, 08:11 AM
I would prefer a wireless keyboard if they were rechargable like the MX 700 and 900

Janak Parekh
06-07-2004, 02:57 AM
I would prefer a wireless keyboard if they were rechargable like the MX 700 and 900
Really? I'd imagine that to be much clunkier. You're not going to go "cradling" your keyboard, right?

--janak

Kacey Green
06-07-2004, 03:28 AM
Really? I'd imagine that to be much clunkier. You're not going to go "cradling" your keyboard, right?

--janak

cradeling my kb :lol: no, I was think of a cable like the sync/charge cable for many ppc's, to set the connection channel and or to charge you would plug the cable in, and to set the channel you would press the connect button too, with BT you would obviously just make a partnership.

Janak Parekh
06-18-2004, 04:41 AM
cradeling my kb :lol: no, I was think of a cable like the sync/charge cable for many ppc's, to set the connection channel and or to charge you would plug the cable in, and to set the channel you would press the connect button too, with BT you would obviously just make a partnership.
But then... what's the point of a wireless keyboard? :D

The thing about a wireless mouse is that it's easy to pick up and "cradle" it. Not so for a keyboard, and if you have to tether a wire every so often, isn't it essentially a part-time wired keyboard? Note that on my desk, I don't have obstructions between the monitor and keyboard - it might vary on yours.

--janak

Kacey Green
06-24-2004, 03:52 AM
But then... what's the point of a wireless keyboard? :D

The thing about a wireless mouse is that it's easy to pick up and "cradle" it. Not so for a keyboard, and if you have to tether a wire every so often, isn't it essentially a part-time wired keyboard? Note that on my desk, I don't have obstructions between the monitor and keyboard - it might vary on yours.

--janak

exactly a part time wired keyboard, when you want to roam, unplug it or if it needs a charge plug it back in overnight when you cradel the mouse

Though I've never had a wirless keyboard or mouse of my own, so I don't know what limits I'd stretch them to, but I've used both, and I'm satisfied with their performance, and I could see the potential of the wirless mouse
I just haven't had enough time with the wirless kb to think of some novel uses for them