View Full Version : SE angst

webagogue
05-11-2004, 01:33 PM
Anyone have any real idea when SE will be available for the iPAQ 4155? PDFs are pretty much useless to me in portrait mode.

Kacey Green
05-11-2004, 01:48 PM
If you are using Adobe PDF viewer 1 for PPC then there is a secret to getting landscape PDF documents.

First tap the small arrow button in the bottom left corner> Preferences
tap toolbar, you will then need to make room for another toolbar button (it is full by default) at the bottom of the options for toolbar check the Rotate View button.
Tap OK
The rotate view button is now on your toolbar, it looks like a peice of paper with a curved arrow next to it. You can now view your PDF documents in any 90 degree rotaion angle. :D

webagogue
05-12-2004, 05:33 AM
Kacey - good call. One extra tip... I was thrown in that I could not select the rotate button. I figured the rotation was somehow document dependant - like reflow. I checked a bit more and realized that you are only allowed so many buttons. I deselected a few and was able to rotate my doc. Thanks.

Now... the doc I'm trying to view is still somewhat difficult to read - even at full screen :?

Kowalski
05-12-2004, 09:09 AM
i use this feature alot but there is a problem with the page layout.
you go to one side to scroll to next page instead of going down

Janak Parekh
05-13-2004, 02:29 AM
Kacey - good call. One extra tip... I was thrown in that I could not select the rotate button. I figured the rotation was somehow document dependant - like reflow. I checked a bit more and realized that you are only allowed so many buttons. I deselected a few and was able to rotate my doc. Thanks.
Unfortunately, Adobe does not know how to make useable user interfaces. :|

Now... the doc I'm trying to view is still somewhat difficult to read - even at full screen :?
That's because you have a device with only 320x240 resolution. New SE-based devices, with VGA resolution, should have better readability. You've tried the reflow view, right? (Can't remember if it works in landscape or not.)

--janak

webagogue
05-13-2004, 07:33 AM
You've tried the reflow view, right? (Can't remember if it works in landscape or not.)

--janak

Reflow doesn't work for most of the PDFs I have.

Janak Parekh
05-13-2004, 04:02 PM
Reflow doesn't work for most of the PDFs I have.
How did you copy the PDF to the Pocket PC? When you install Acrobat Reader for Pocket PC, it installs an ActiveSync conduit. After that, any documents you drag to the Mobile Device via Explorer get "tagged", so that reflow works (it tells you that it's going to do it, as a matter of fact).

The only documents I have a major issue with are non-papers (i.e., complex graphics/layout) and LaTeX-generated PDFs (due to the interesting fonts it uses). Well, except for the fact that Acrobat is extraordinarily slow, so I use RepliGo (www.cerience.com) instead.

--janak

Darius Wey
05-14-2004, 01:09 AM
How did you copy the PDF to the Pocket PC? When you install Acrobat Reader for Pocket PC, it installs an ActiveSync conduit. After that, any documents you drag to the Mobile Device via Explorer get "tagged", so that reflow works (it tells you that it's going to do it, as a matter of fact).

If you usually pop PDFs on a memory card via a memory card reader on your PC, then this ActiveSync module won't tag your files for you. However, if you actually have the full version Acrobat on your PC, then there is an option in the menu for you to tag your documents.

Because I'm not on my main computer at the moment, I can't check for you but off the top of my head, I think it's somewhere in the Accessibility menu. Otherwise, just search for 'tagging the document' in the help files.

And if you don't have Acrobat, then this is the most pointless post ever.

Kacey Green
05-14-2004, 11:58 AM
The full version of acrobat?

Janak Parekh
05-15-2004, 05:38 AM
The full version of acrobat?
Yes, that is, the commercial package (http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/main.html) that lets you create and edit PDFs.

Otherwise, use the ActiveSync trick I mentioned earlier.

--janak

Darius Wey
05-15-2004, 03:27 PM
Yep, sorry Kacey...I meant the commercial version of Adobe Acrobat.

And because I'm posting this message now on my personal computer, I can now tell you properly where the option to add tags to documents is:

Advanced - Accessibility - Add Tags to Document option

Hope that helps.

Kacey Green
05-16-2004, 05:04 AM
I can't seem to find said condiut, I installed the versions from their website and the one on the HP CD.

Janak Parekh
05-16-2004, 05:21 AM
I can't seem to find said condiut, I installed the versions from their website and the one on the HP CD.
It auto-installs whenever you use the web version. It's only a matter of making sure it runs -- i.e., via copying PDFs to the mobile device through ActiveSync.

--janak

Kacey Green
05-18-2004, 04:22 AM
oh, I ran the download version, Reinstalling . . .