View Full Version : Memory card types

BigCanoe
05-10-2004, 04:30 PM
I am looking for a memory card to fit my iPaq. I have seen the following types:

MultiMediaCard™

Secure Digital™

SmartMedia™

What is the difference, and which do I want?

arnage2
05-10-2004, 04:41 PM
for an ipaq you will want sd, mms, or cf depending on your configuration. A 38xx, 39xx, 22xx,19xx,54xx,51xx,55xx will take sd (secure digital) or mmc (multimedia card) sd is faster than mmc, and are similar in price. An ipaq with a pcmcia or cf expansion pack can accept compact flash cf cards, they are cheap and can have very large capacities. The 22xx accepts cf ans sd and mmc.

none take smartmedia unless you have a pcmcia expansion sleve with a smart media reader.

Stephen Beesley
05-10-2004, 04:41 PM
I am looking for a memory card to fit my iPaq. I have seen the following types:

MultiMediaCard™

Secure Digital™

SmartMedia™

What is the difference, and which do I want?

Well I guess the first question in response is: what model iPaq do you have?

Most iPaqs like the 194x and the 54xx/55xx and 4150/4350 series only have an SD (Secure Digital) card slot. This slot will also accept MMC (MultiMedia Cards) although I don't think this are as fast (I am sure somebody else will correct me here if I am wrong :D ). The 22xx series iPaqs also have a Compact Flash (CF) slot in addition to a SD slot.

Edit - Whoops beaten to it!

BigCanoe
05-10-2004, 04:54 PM
Thanks, this is for a 2210, so I want mmc/sd, the cf slot is already reserved for a future wifi card....which leads me to ask, would you buy a sd sized wifi card and use cf for memory, or the other way around?

Stephen Beesley
05-10-2004, 04:59 PM
Thanks, this is for a 2210, so I want mmc/sd, the cf slot is already reserved for a future wifi card....which leads me to ask, would you buy a sd sized wifi card and use cf for memory, or the other way around?

I cannot speak from the experience having that choice (My device of choice is still my good ol' Jornada) but I think if I were in your shoes I would probably go with a CF wifi card and SD memory. The CF cards are considerably cheaper (at least there are where I am!) and i have concerns about the fragile looking aerials on the SD wifi cards.

just my €0.02...

GSmith
05-10-2004, 07:22 PM
The CF wifi has slightly more range, the SD wifi is more stowable.

Sandisk offers a combination CF wifi plus 128MB flash that may be an option for you.
http://www.sandisk.com/retail/c-plus-wifi-cf.asp

If you ever upgrade from your 2215, you might not be able to use any of your CF items. Seems like everyone is at or going to SD. Although I would imagine that when you upgrade, your next PPC will have integrated WiFi. But by that time, whatever memory size you need will far outsize what you purchase today.

For memory sizes at or less than 256MB, the prices of CF vs. SD are converging (within $10 if you don't care about speed).

Socket and Symbol CF wifi are more expensive that other CF wifi cards but have a smaller antenna and reportedly lower power than other CF solutions.

You normally will have to remove your WiFi card when not used, either for power or for fitting into your case.

For ultra cheap and less than 256 MB memory, get a cheap CF WiFi and pair with an SD memory card.

For ultra performance today and less than 256 MB memory, get a Socket or Symbol CF and pair with an SD card.

For ultra portability or more than 256 MB memory, get a CF Memory and keep it in your 2215, and an SD wifi that you insert when needed.

That's how I see it, anyway.

Kowalski
05-12-2004, 09:12 AM
here is another option:
you can buy a wifi card which plugs into SD slot and buy a very large capacity CF memory card.

Jeff Rutledge
05-12-2004, 03:50 PM
I've got a 2215 as well and I use the SD slot for memory and the CF slot for WiFi.

The trend in devices seems to be getting away from CF slots. The 2215 is the only iPAQ with a CF slot. Also, the most popular uses for CF expansion are WiFi, Bluetooth and GPS. Most of the new devices have at least one of these built in and many new devices have more than one.

So if you went with CF memory and SD expansion, you may end up getting into trouble with your next device. Say it's already got WiFi and BT built-in. You would then have a useless CF memory card and an equally useless SD WiFi card.

Of course this all assumes you're going to be upgrading your device in the next year or two. Beyond that, who knows... ;)

baldr
05-12-2004, 04:52 PM
If you can't choice - buy them both. :)
It would be double profit. :)