View Full Version : Screen Rotate

digitalchic
05-10-2004, 07:07 AM
Is there anyway to get the screen to rotate, so its sits landscape, even if just for a few applications (eg internet explorer or word). Its a pain having to do everything vertically....

Pony99CA
05-10-2004, 08:45 AM
Is there anyway to get the screen to rotate, so its sits landscape, even if just for a few applications (eg internet explorer or word). Its a pain having to do everything vertically....
Absolutely. There are Nyditot's Virtual Display (http://www.nyditot.com) and Aurorisoft's dotPocket (http://www.dotpocket.com). You can read a review of dotPocket (and see tons of screen shots) on my Web site (http://review.svpocketpc.com/dotpocket/dotPocket.html).

Be aware that you may have to soft reset to switch from portrait to landscape and back.

Steve

targetdrone
05-10-2004, 09:54 AM
There used to be a program available for free download from Pocketop that was part of a driver for their IR keyboard, that would do exactly what you seem to be looking for, but they took it off of their site and now charge for it. I don't know if I can legally send it to you or not. Try a search for Pocketop IM 1.6r08 You might get lucky.

ntractv
05-10-2004, 02:54 PM
Isn't WM 2003 SE being developed with that functionality?

Pony99CA
05-10-2004, 03:02 PM
Isn't WM 2003 SE being developed with that functionality?
Yes, that's one of its primary enhancements. However, maybe digitalchic wants landscape now, or, worse, uses a Pocket PC that won't have an upgrade. At one time, Dell said they weren't going to release an upgrade (although they may have relented somewhat).

Steve

Kati Compton
05-10-2004, 03:26 PM
There used to be a program available for free download from Pocketop that was part of a driver for their IR keyboard, that would do exactly what you seem to be looking for, but they took it off of their site and now charge for it. I don't know if I can legally send it to you or not. Try a search for Pocketop IM 1.6r08 You might get lucky.
I wouldn't think it would be legal. I *believe* the problem was that the download was *only* intended for Pocketop keyboard users, but then they realized that other people were using it...

Mitch D
05-12-2004, 03:30 AM
I wouldn't think it would be legal. I *believe* the problem was that the download was *only* intended for Pocketop keyboard users, but then they realized that other people were using it...

That's what happens when you make a good easy to use screen rotation software and forget that it can be used by anyone. I believe you can purchase the software from Pocketop for a reasonable price.

Pony99CA
05-12-2004, 06:11 AM
It's hard to say, actually. If Pocketop didn't make you agree to any license when you downloaded or installed the software, they can't get you that way. I have the program, and there's no license in the ZIP file.

Also, as Pocketop was essentially distributing the software for free, they'd be hard-pressed to claim damages if somebody redistributed the software, even if it was copyrighted.

UPDATE: I just tried installing it on my iPAQ 3650, and I didn't see any license. The program doesn't support the 3650, so I don't know if there's a license or copyright when the program is run.

Steve

Steven Cedrone
05-12-2004, 12:47 PM
There was also an issue about the distribution of the drivers that came with this keyboard...

Yeah well it gets even better. Pocketop is ILLEGALLY distributing Nyditot components in their drivers. We had an agreement with them but they failed to pay royalties and have been illegally distributing our software for some time. We have asked them to stop on numerous occasions but they are ignoring our calls. Now it appears they are attempting to profit even more from our hard work.

Pocketop is a Canadian company and, at this point, they essentially do not have any employees. All of the principals have left and their investors are maintaining a minimal presence to give the illusion of a real company.

Please do not support this disreputable company. If you are only interested in display rotation please write to us at [email protected]. We'll send you a 20% off discount code for the full version NVD. It's sort of an amnesty program. Note that Pocketop was NEVER licensed to distribute NVD components via the Internet. They were only authorized to include our software to the CD within the box with the actual keyboard.

Thanks for your support,

Not sure about the status of this now though...

See this thread... (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23476&start=40)

Steve