View Full Version : Outliner and lists - ListPro or TreNotes?

mch_nz
05-10-2004, 03:23 AM
Hi,
Im moving from a Palm to iPAQ and trying to find an equivalent product to ShadowPlan for outlining and lists. ListPro and TreNotes seem to be the closest for me but was wondering about the pros/cons of each. Also is there's anything else out there I've missed?
Thanks,
Mark

Lex
05-10-2004, 03:36 AM
If you stumble across Streamliner, I lost two hours of meeting notes recently just by changing to another app while Streamliner was running.

I abandoned it for ListPro and it seems much more stable, has very strong support, and loads of options for outlining, note-taking and lists.

See what can be done with ListPro:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23455&highlight=listpro

ppcinfo
05-10-2004, 05:32 AM
Check out SuperList by Scarybear Software at www.scarybearsoftware.com

ppcinfo

ignar
05-10-2004, 07:59 AM
I still haven't found outliner programs for PocketPC which are comparable to ShadowPlan or Bonsai for PalmOS. :( ListPro is an excellent software, and you can use it for various things such as project management, outliner, check list, flat file database, note takings, etc. TreNote is also a solid program, and have more outliner flavor than ListPro. But I found it requires too many steps to add a node.
In addition to other suggestions, depending on your usage type, ADB Idea Library(www.happyjackroad.com/AtomicDB/pocketpc/ideaLibrary/idea.asp) or Pocket Mindmap (www.pocketmindmap.com) can be candidates too.

Pony99CA
05-10-2004, 08:14 AM
If you really want to see what can be done with ListPro, check out my review (http://review.svpocketpc.com/listpro4/ListPro4.html). I covered almost every feature of the program, and even gave a real-world usage scenario.

I got E-mail from Ilium developers impressed with the review. 8)

Steve

mch_nz
05-11-2004, 05:09 AM
Thanks to everyone for your replies!

Excellent review of ListPro Steve, it's good to see a realistic assessment of pros, cons, and gotchas. I'm going to have a look at the essentials bundle you mention.

At this point ListPro looks like being for me although I prefer the look and feel of TreNotes. Both have solid solid desktop companions and good outlining capabilities. But what really did swings it for me is the customised columns combined with the import via csv or Excel cut/paste - fairly straightforward conversion of existing ShadowPlan files. I used this technique to convert a horrible spreadsheet file sent to me into a list I could actually use on the iPAQ. This generated a lot of interest from my work colleagues.

ListPro is sort of a cross between an outliner, a spreadsheet, and a database program that seems to work well in a handheld platform.

Cheers,
Mark

wing
05-11-2004, 08:09 AM
i've tried listpro, and it is great. just like everyone recommended.

at teh same time, i've been in some time critical situations where third party software just wasn't the best!

what i mean is, ultra-popular programs like word, excel, etc. are everywhere. if i'm trapped in a hotel, i can work with the hotel's guest computers.

with third party software, if my ppc crashes, or my diskette gets zonked, or my cradle isn't with me, it's pretty cumbersome to get my lists back in an away-from-home situation.

i WISH software like listpro was more popular!
:|

buzzard
05-11-2004, 07:49 PM
I chose TreNotes for one simple reason...it had word wrap and I didn't have to scroll to the right...just down.

cuteseal
02-07-2005, 01:31 AM
Anyone use streamliner from Kopsis? I tried it today and works quite well as a outliner. It supports outlining, paragraphs, checkboxes and progress bars. Almost perfect, apart from no drag and drop support.

Lex
02-08-2005, 03:36 AM
Anyone use streamliner from Kopsis? Unless something's changed I think support and development for that product have ceased. Plus see my post above.

ipaq_wannabe
05-20-2005, 10:13 AM
If you really want to see what can be done with ListPro, check out my review (http://review.svpocketpc.com/listpro4/ListPro4.html). I covered almost every feature of the program, and even gave a real-world usage scenario.

I got E-mail from Ilium developers impressed with the review. 8)

Steve

good thing that i did a search on the forums - because ive exactly the same question in mind ---> what would be a worthy replacement for ShadowPlan in the PPC?

as of now, ill go off and read your review...

oopp00
05-23-2006, 03:30 AM
...ListPro and TreNotes seem to be the closest for me but was wondering about ...

i use TreNotes now, but ListPro is the best, i think. and ListPro 4.1 is the winner of List Managers software of Smartphone & Pocket PC magazine’s Annual Best Software Awards 2005.
see here: http://www.pocketpcmag.com/awards/category_2005.asp?catid=39#ListManagers