View Full Version : driving directions software?

zilla31
05-09-2004, 02:38 PM
pocket streets 2004 doesn't have driving directions on the palm... anyone know of a good driving directions software for the PPC? i'd like to be able to store a bunch of locations and carry them around... and perhaps pull addresses from PI etc. as starting points or destinations :mrgreen: i know there are websites to do it when i'm online with my 4155 but i can't store locations and have to type them in each time :(

Locksmith
05-09-2004, 04:30 PM
I have had Mapopolis for a number of months. It is awesome. I have a gps connected to my 4150 and Mapopolis gives turn by turn spoken directions as well as written on the screen. You can download a demo map and the software and try it yourself.

http://www.mapopolis.com/

The down side is my wife now feels she has been replaced when we travel :wink:

GSmith
05-09-2004, 04:57 PM
The good forum for GPS information is gpspassion.com. In particular, this page is a good comparison of different GPS software.

http://www.gpspassion.com/en/software/NavOverview.htm

I think the top software is
Mapopolis has a demo available.
Routis (one of three Intellinav OEMs)
Destinator
Pocket Map Navigator

They have different strengths and weaknesses. Here are some things to watch out for that weren't obvious (after heavy research) prior to purchasing. Obviously, the features below are less important if the software is buggy or maps are not available for your area.

Voice Synthesis
some people complain about the quality, but this feature will speak the name, sometime incorrectly, of the street. This allows you to keep your eyes on the road.

Points of Interest (POIs)
The quality, quantity, and categories available differ between programs. Also, in some programs you can add your own. In others, you can't.

Map Detail Control
Some programs you can vary the amount of detail you see at any specific zoom level. This allows fine control over the biggest drawback (IMHO) of going from large paper maps to small screen mapping software.

Locksmith
05-09-2004, 05:09 PM
Your post reminded me of a feature of Mapopolis I used last week on a trip to Victoria BC. My wife wanted to visit the heritage bith place of famed Canadian artist Emily Carr. She had no idea where it was. Mapopolis knew! And drove us right to the door.

We used this technique a couple of times during our trip. Found a Red Robin restaurant for dinner one night this way as well.

It really made this trip and a couple of others well worth the cost of the software.

I have sent a couple of questions to the Mapopolis support email address and the replies have been very prompt and accurate.

Can't really say enough good things, with very few negatives.

Yes, the synthesized voice can be difficult at times to understand, and it does pronounce some street names pretty weirdly. You'd think they could at least get Canada right! (Kanaadaa) But it does allow you to keep your eyes on the road. Very important, especially in a strange city.

Zack Mahdavi
05-09-2004, 06:20 PM
Does Mapopolis work on WM 2003? The web site says it only works with Pocket PC 2002. Is this not true?

I miss Mapopolis. I used to use their maps on my Palm for years!

GSmith
05-09-2004, 06:55 PM
Yes, it does support WM2003. I used the Mapopolis demo map on my iPAQ 2215.

Download the app for free, then download a county map or two. Mapopolis, unlike some others, offers a demo (fully featured, time limited maps).

Map control (getting maps from website, selecting maps for use) is not a strong point of Mapopolis.

Locksmith
05-09-2004, 08:29 PM
No problem with Windows Mobile. Works very well. The user interface could be improved, but once you get the hang of it its ok.

zilla31
05-09-2004, 09:37 PM
well - i definitely WANT a GPS here soon, but for now i don't have one. i'm looking for software that will allow me to sync directions when i have a wifi connection (or via my bluetooth phone) and then save them for hte actual trip (just the written directions obviously and possibly an accompanying map??).

will any of these work if you don't have a GPS?

Locksmith
05-09-2004, 10:21 PM
Mapopolis doesn't require or need a gps. It will give you a list of directions on screen, and a map. You merely give it the start and end points (address, contact info, nearest intersection, or a point on the map) and it will plan your route for you.

It is very high end, and the maps can reside on a storage card.

Try the demo, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

zilla31
05-09-2004, 10:22 PM
oh sweet - i had heard of mapopolis but i always thought it required GPS to "work". that's great i'm going to head over there now and dload a trial. thanks!!!

disconnected
05-10-2004, 05:08 AM
I started with Pocket Streets, but then got Mapopolis and couldn't believe how much better it was. You can instantly zoom in and out, and move the map in any direction just by dragging your stylus. I started with the non-GPS version of Mapopolis, but after just a couple of months I liked it so much that I upgraded to the GPS version and bought a bluetooth GPS. When we go anywhere together my husband drives and I navigate -- this was always a pain with a paper map because as soon as you stop paying attention you have no idea where you are -- Mapopolis with GPS solves all that. Neither of us has a very good sense of direction, so we were always getting lost; now if we just feel like driving around aimlessly, we can always use Mapopolis to get us back after we get lost.

zilla31
05-10-2004, 01:23 PM
yeah i downloaded the trial of mapopolis and this is exactly what i was looking for! i dont' have a GPS yet but could definitely see myself wanting one after a few weeks of using this software... i have a quick question though - what's the difference between the different maps? like "platinum" etc.? i just have a demo map now but am trying to figure out what maps i have to buy for my area...

THANKS!

GSmith
05-10-2004, 03:10 PM
The maps allow different capabilities. I believe the breakdown is like this:

E...something(?)
Based on US Government Tiger map data.

Platinum
Navtech based maps. No GPS support

Platinum+GPS
GPS support, but not live routing directions

Navigator
top of the line.

If you just want simple maps and no driving directions, get the E... ($24 for the US, I think).

If you want maps without GPS. Get Platinum ($34 for the US) I think this gives you driving directions.

If you want GPS support try Platinum+GPS (although the site lists "Palm only" it might not be right).

Go to the specific states/counties you want and see what maps are available.

I've heard support is pretty good. If you buy the wrong mapset, email support if that doesn't work, post to gpspassion.com

zilla31
05-10-2004, 03:33 PM
ok thanks - the website is a bit confusing but you cleared it for me... looks like the platinum is what i want (for now). THANKS!

zilla31
05-10-2004, 04:23 PM
while i have you guys ear though - what is a good place to start when thinking about bluetooth GPS for my 4155? can you recommend a small unit?

zilla31
05-10-2004, 04:55 PM
and one more question - how do we feel about the tomtom navigator USA software? gets some very good reviews... i'm wondering if it will serve my currently no-GPS needs the same way mapopolis does...

GSmith
05-10-2004, 07:45 PM
If I had bluetooth only, I would probably go for the Fortuna Clip-On.

http://www.fortuna.com.tw/Clip-On%20Bluetooth%20GPS.htm

It is (cold start) switchable from Xtrack and ST, which will optimize performance when walking (or obstructed) and when driving, respectively.

Although SiRF Xtrac v2 is just around the corner, with products announced, that make this tradeoff differently (possibly better).

The things to consider when purchasing is not just size of the unit itself, but the power supply as well. And whether the batteries are user replacable and whether they are common (i.e. AA or AAA vs. custom Lithium-ion).

I think the absolute smallest bluetooth GPS is:
http://www.bluegps.com/specifications.htm

But I don't know it's availability around the world.

The next smallest is, I think
Royaltek RBT-3100 possibly available as the RBT-1000 (I think they may be the same device, but these are distinct from the RBT-3000).

sieglege
05-10-2004, 10:24 PM
If you find a RadioShack Digitraveler you will have a nice solution for cheap. I got one on ebay for $50, followed the cord conversion directions on Yorch, then upgraded to the Navigator maps with Mapopolis. I really like it.