View Full Version : 415x Overclocking... Stable?

yanathin
05-09-2004, 07:04 AM
I wasn't sure whether I should post this in the software section for Pocket Hack Master or in these... Anyway, I just got PHM and I must say, very nice utility. My problem is that it's TOO nice. It's one of those things where it's too good to be true... I'm also a little uneasy doing something I know little about.

Right now it seems like I can safely overclock my 415x to 528 MHz (528:264) Turbo with the SDRAM clock at 1x MEMCLK. Like I said, seems too good to be true. I guess my first question has to do with the SDRAM clock. When I push it to 528 MHz, it tells me this:

"Warning, bus multiplier is L=36 and SDRAM Clock ratio is set to 1x which will set the SDRAM speed to 132.70 MHz! You are advised to first lower the SDRAM clock to 1/2x if your memory does not support this speed. Continue?"

Well, I took a risk and clicked "yes" to continue, and everything seems to be working fine. Does anybody have any experience with overclocking this device, and if so, does pushing the SDRAM clock that high really hurt it or is it just something that could happen if you leave it on constantly? I just put it at 528 MHz and all that stuff whenever I want to (or have time to) sit down and play a nice game of Super Mario Kart for about 20 minutes. Overclocking it makes it run at full speed with sound... so unbelievably nice. Anyway, I'd really appreciate it if somebody could let me know if what I'm doing is incredibly dangerous to my device. Also, if you do use Pocket Hack Master with a 415x, what settings do you use?

zilla31
05-11-2004, 07:07 PM
bump. i have a 4155 and i've been thinking of trying out this program... so you really notice the difference? what about battery life? what about underclocking in emergency's to conserve bat life? any info would be great!!

jump23
05-11-2004, 07:11 PM
I used PocketHack Master for awhile but I prefer XCPU Scalar. I like the setting to auto scale the overcloking with cpu load. I can clock my 2215 to 530.

Kowalski
05-12-2004, 09:26 AM
first of all i can say that pocket hack master is an excellent program.
xscale processors have an ability called scaling. this means that the proccessor can change the clock speed on the run. other brands like asus and dell implemented this capability so you can automatically or manually control the cpu speed. it seem that the author of the program done the job instead of lazy hp engineers and there comes the excellent program.
there should be no problem overcloacking your system,and you system will work fine. you can eighter scale up the cpu to gain more speed or scale down to save some power but...
the down part is that there is a little chance of accidently crashing you system. probably this will only cause a soft reset thats all
finally my opinion is stability is more important than speed so i never think of overcloacking plus i am happy with the speed of my 2215.
just dont push too far about sd ram ratings and have fun of you extra speed

zilla31
05-12-2004, 01:06 PM
in case anyone's interested, i've tried pocket hack master using the 555x settings (since there is no built in profile for the 4100 series) and it seems to work great.

thanks.