View Full Version : VGA Input

deadfolk
05-09-2004, 12:02 AM
Hi everyone,

This is my first post, and I am doing it from my new Toshiba e800, so I apologise if it doesn't turn out right!

I have a question which I am hoping one of you more knowledgeable Pocket PC thinkers might be able to help me with...

I have been trying out various input methods, such as Fitaly and Decuma OnSpot (both of which I love), but they are all virtually unusable in VGA mode, as they do not resize with the screen. Does anyone know of an input system which works well in VGA? I am using MyVGA to switch resolution, if this makes any difference.

Thanks in advance for any help - and by the way...this is by far the best site I have found for Pocket PC info.

Have a good weekend,

DF

dh
05-09-2004, 01:05 AM
There is a keyboard called Resco Keyboard that seems to work well in VGA. Someone made a skin for it so that it used the fitaly layout.
http://www.rfidnews.net/Keyboard.jpg

It was discussed in this thread at Brighthand http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99104&perpage=15&highlight=resco%20keyboard%20fitaly&pagenumber=2 a while ago. You can get a trial from Resco and download the skin from the Brighthand thread.

Resco Keyboard was also discussed here at PPCT http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23681&highlight=resco+keyboard

Calligrapher should be compatible with VGA as well. This is my the input method I use 90% of the time. Fital with a nice coloured skin the other 10%.

Kevin C. Tofel
05-10-2004, 02:51 AM
First of all....welcome to the best ppc site there is! I'm curious...what's wrong with the Transcriber software that comes with the Tosh? I'm using it for this post via wi fi on my e805. :)

Kacey Green
05-10-2004, 03:44 AM
it doesn't recognize any of my hand writing

Janak Parekh
05-10-2004, 05:11 AM
it doesn't recognize any of my hand writing
If you write cursive neatly, it should. On the other hand, it's not going to recognize chicken scratches all that well. In particular, it recognizes cursive much better than discrete characters.

Kevin: Transcriber is ok, but I've gotten much faster with Fitaly, due to 99+% accuracy. With Transcriber, there's always a word or two that it has trouble recognizing, no matter how neatly I write. For example, my name. ;) I'm assuming Calligrapher would be better at things like that, but Fitaly works very, very well... even in a micro-size on the e805. (I'm assuming they'll fix it when they support SE.)

--janak

Kacey Green
05-10-2004, 11:06 AM
Who writes in cursive? They would save the users lots of time it they would say "USE CURSIVE" in that stupid-looking help box that pops up on first use.
Left hand mode is where the hardware buttons are on my right correct?

Janak Parekh
05-10-2004, 04:28 PM
Who writes in cursive?
The vast majority of people that I know do.

No, left hand mode is when you're using your left hand to write, if you're referring to Transcriber...

--janak

Stephen Beesley
05-10-2004, 04:54 PM
Who writes in cursive? They would save the users lots of time it they would say "USE CURSIVE" in that stupid-looking help box that pops up on first use.

I know this is now abit OT, but I use Transcriber pretty much exclusively as my input method of choice and "do not" write in cursive. At different times I have used it with the "seperate letters mode" enabled or disabled and always found the recognition to be pretty good. Laterly I have been using it with seperate letters mode disabled but still using printed letters and find this to accurate enough for me to do most things including posting or writting emails etc.

Just my €0.02...

Janak Parekh
05-10-2004, 05:15 PM
I know this is now abit OT, but I use Transcriber pretty much exclusively as my input method of choice and "do not" write in cursive. At different times I have used it with the "seperate letters mode" enabled or disabled and always found the recognition to be pretty good.
Interesting. I always had trouble with it that way, but thanks for the feedback. Maybe they've improved it since I used Transcriber heavily. ;)

--janak

Kevin C. Tofel
05-10-2004, 05:47 PM
I know this is now abit OT, but I use Transcriber pretty much exclusively as my input method of choice and "do not" write in cursive.

Same here, which is why I've never investigated an alternative input method. My father is an architect, and if you've ever seen the printing on a blueprint, you've generally seen the printing that's on ALL blueprints. The profession has a standard look and feel to the written text and somehow I've inherited it. I strictly use Transcriber with my printing....no cursive.

However, there's some good feedback here and in other threads on alternative inputs.....I may take a look at Fitaly through the Resco Keyboard and skin method that David mentions....I need a VGA input method also, so it's worth a shot....

Thanks!
KCT

Kacey Green
05-10-2004, 10:06 PM
Thanks guys, that did the trick! :D
If anyone was having issues with transcriber before you should try a different writing style, cursive, print, or a mix of the two.

Wiggster
05-10-2004, 10:16 PM
Yea, these guys are awesome.

Speaking of input, there's one 'm' in "coming"... your sig keeps popping out at me :wink:

Kacey Green
05-10-2004, 11:49 PM
for future posters: my sig used to say "this text comming soon", I changed it.

deadfolk
05-11-2004, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the info, guys.

I installed the newest version of the Undead Hack, along with Calligrapher, and I'm having a whale of a time.
Next stop: Resco + VGA skin.

DF

Kacey Green
05-11-2004, 02:20 PM
deadfolk, your problem will also be completly solved when you are able to download WM 2003SE or order the cd. (assuming you flash the rom of course :wink: )

deadfolk
05-12-2004, 09:34 PM
Kacey,

I was hoping that might be the case - just waiting for Toshiba to release it...

dh
05-12-2004, 11:08 PM
I installed the newest version of the Undead Hack, along with Calligrapher, and I'm having a whale of a time.
Yes, Calligrapher is just a fantastic program. I use it for 99% of the input on my PPC. (Fitaly for the 1%)
I wish there was a Zaurus version, but I can't see that happening.

Stephen Beesley
05-13-2004, 09:37 AM
Yes, Calligrapher is just a fantastic program. I use it for 99% of the input on my PPC. (Fitaly for the 1%)
I wish there was a Zaurus version, but I can't see that happening.

For the last couple of years I have been switching back and forth between Transcriber and Calligrapher - never quite sure if the improved performance of Calligrapher is enough to offset the extra memory (and cash :D). However, the latest version of Calligrapher (v7.2) looks like being a keeper. It is still has some "features" that annoy me (please do not get me started about this....), but in general I find it a very good input method