View Full Version : Got my tablet PC and a new Pocket PC at the same time.

MacBriar
05-08-2004, 12:16 AM
Well I did it, I finally bought my tablet PC, I went for a Fujitsu-Siemens 3010 - it's gorgeous ! I managed to find quite a little bundle for myself as well !

For £1600 I was able to get a 3010, a free external DVD/CDRW (FS branded Freecom Traveller) and a free PocketLoox 610 with BT and WiFi ! This was a special promotion available at www.wstore.co.uk. The cheapest other price for the same machine I saw was £1526 without a DVD/CDRW.

Now I have two PocketPC's ! One for each hand ! One for each eye ! One for each ear (now wait I need one more for that ....... left ear, right ear and final frontier - bad Trek joke).

Can I activesync more than one PocketPC with the same computer and the same copy of Outlook ?

Steven Cedrone
05-08-2004, 02:18 AM
Can I activesync more than one PocketPC with the same computer and the same copy of Outlook ?

Yes!

Steve

Deltrevan
05-08-2004, 03:02 AM
Congratulations on your new set-up! Very nice indeed!!

Pony99CA
05-08-2004, 07:13 AM
Yes!
True -- with a caveat. You can only sync one Pocket PC at a time, even if you have two cradles hooked up to the computer.

The first one to connect to ActiveSync will stay connected until you disconnect it. You then have to connect the second Pocket PC to sync it.

Steve

Shadowcat
05-08-2004, 06:13 PM
You can only sync one Pocket PC at a time, even if you have two cradles hooked up to the computer.

The first one to connect to ActiveSync will stay connected until you disconnect it. You then have to connect the second Pocket PC to sync it.

Steve

I haven't joined the discussions on ActiveSink before, but this time I can't resist. Man, you got to love ActiveStink! :roll:

Pony99CA
05-08-2004, 06:31 PM
You can only sync one Pocket PC at a time, even if you have two cradles hooked up to the computer.

I haven't joined the discussions on ActiveSink before, but this time I can't resist. Man, you got to love ActiveStink! :roll:
Well, it's not really that bad. I mean, how many people use more than one PDA?

However, it looks like things will be better in Longhorn. The SyncManager (which will replace ActiveSync) seems to be able to synchronize multiple devices at once.

I just wish they'd add that support to ActiveSync. I'd think a row of tabs under the tool bar, one per partnered device or connected device, would be fairly easy to do. You might have to make sure the PDAs weren't trying to sync the same items at the same time, of course.

See my ActiveSync New Year's Resolutions (http://thoughts.svpocketpc.com#THOUGHT_ACTIVESYNC_RESOLUTIONS) editorial for more suggestions.

Steve

Kacey Green
05-08-2004, 06:33 PM

However, it looks like things will be better in Longhorn. The SyncManager (which will replace ActiveSync) seems to be able to synchronize multiple devices at once.

I just wish they'd add that support to ActiveSync. I'd think a row of tabs under the tool bar, one per partnered device or connected device, would be fairly easy to do. You might have to make sure the PDAs weren't trying to sync the same items at the same time, of course.

See my ActiveSync New Year's Resolutions (http://thoughts.svpocketpc.com#THOUGHT_ACTIVESYNC_RESOLUTIONS) editorial for more suggestions.

Steve
I wish they would include the sync manager in XP SP2

Shadowcat
05-08-2004, 06:53 PM

Steve

You're right, it's not bad in the sense that not many people will need to sync two Pocket PCs to the same computer. However it is horrible programming practice (in the sense that it's horrible for the end user). I imagine it would be difficult to implement simultaneous syncing and I'd forgive them if this was 2000 but it's 2004 now and they've had plenty of time to fix up ActiveSync. Don't forget some families have multiple PDA users (mine not included :|). Simultaneous syncing just seems like something that should have been figured out. It's not a bug, it's a missing feature.

Interesting, I've never heard of SyncMaster yet. But are you saying they won't release SyncMaster until Longhorn comes out, are you? It's not being tied to Longhorn, is it? If so, we'll have to wait a long time and many people will be left in the dark (not everyone can afford to buy a new version of Windows). I hope I'm misinterpreting your words......

Pony99CA
05-08-2004, 07:44 PM

You're right, it's not bad in the sense that not many people will need to sync two Pocket PCs to the same computer. However it is horrible programming practice (in the sense that it's horrible for the end user). I imagine it would be difficult to implement simultaneous syncing and I'd forgive them if this was 2000 but it's 2004 now and they've had plenty of time to fix up ActiveSync. Don't forget some families have multiple PDA users (mine not included :|). Simultaneous syncing just seems like something that should have been figured out. It's not a bug, it's a missing feature.

You're right that it's a missing feature (and one that I asked for, too). However, I'd rather Microsoft get syncing working correctly for one device first. With all the problems reported with ActiveSync, do you really expect them to tackle multiple device support? :-D

Interesting, I've never heard of SyncMaster yet. But are you saying they won't release SyncMaster until Longhorn comes out, are you? It's not being tied to Longhorn, is it? If so, we'll have to wait a long time and many people will be left in the dark (not everyone can afford to buy a new version of Windows). I hope I'm misinterpreting your words......
I saw an article about Longhorn on WinSuperSite (http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/longhorn_aero.asp) that included a screen shot of SyncManager (not SyncMaster -- that's a monitor), which is all that I know about it. Whether it will actually be released before Longhorn or not is something only Microsoft knows, I'm afraid.

Steve

Shadowcat
05-08-2004, 08:21 PM
You raise a valid point. :lol:

Whoops, no wonder the name sounded familiar for some strange reason. :)