View Full Version : The New ROM 1.10 Upgrade For The iPAQ 2200 Series?

Ed Hansberry
05-07-2004, 02:00 PM
<a href="http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handhelds/us/download/20498.html">http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handhelds/us/download/20498.html</a><br /><br />HP posted ROM 1.10 in late March and then shortly after, released a patch that fixed a few minor SD card issues. Now, the 1.10 update is on HP's site with an April 30, 2004 date and seems to includes the SD power drain fix in the ROM. The one called "Fixes SD Card initialization issue" though isn't listed. :? <br /><br />Well, it seems the only thing they actually updated was the text of the upgrade. I just downloaded the patch, which is SP27073.exe for the English version and did a binary file comparison to the March file. <b>Bit for bit, they are identical.</b> So, it seems that you still need the <a href="http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handhelds/us/download/20674.html">standalone SD Update</a>.<br /><br />I suspect what has happened is the power drain issue was fixed in ROM 1.10 but not originally listed in the fix list on the web page. The SD initialization issue seems to have missed the ROM build though. The small patch works on both 1.00 and 1.10 ROMs. Personally, no matter which ROM you have, I think you should get the SD patch. If you have ROM 1.00, I see no reason to upgrade to 1.10. The bluetooth manager got worse - <i>much</i> worse and I've not been able to tell that anything else got better. If you aren't specifically affected by the bugs fixed, pass on the ROM and save yourself a few hours rebuilding your device. And certainly don't re-apply the 1.10 ROM because the date on the web page changed.

Kacey Green
05-07-2004, 02:19 PM
Calculator got worse, bluetooth won't mantain an avantgo connection, the default theme looks better.

ctitanic
05-07-2004, 02:54 PM
Would be good to compare the dlls files from the SD fix with the ones currently in ROM ;)

sheik
05-07-2004, 05:47 PM
How did the bluetooth manager get worse?
I applied 1.10 and haven't noticed any problems or improvements really, although my alarms are possibly a bit more reliable, it is difficult to say.

I use bluetooth without problems to link to my phone, and also to send files to various other devices. I'm only partnered with my phone though.

I occasionally suffer from the issue where I power off but only the screen turns off. If I don't spot the blue flashing bluetooth light then eventually the Ipaq dies :( It isn't anything to do with bluetooth though as I've disabled the radio and it has still happened. There is a thread about this in the Pocket Informant forums but thus far nobody has been able to determine the cause. I don't have any SDIO cards, just an MMC memory card.

/\dam

Don Tolson
05-07-2004, 06:01 PM
I too have had no problems with the bluetooth in ROM 1.10. I have noticed that I no longer get the 'drop out' when connected via Activesync to my laptop for long file transfers, but that could be due to the latest version of Activesync as well.

Ed Hansberry
05-07-2004, 06:32 PM
The new bluetooth UI kills the INTERNET/WORK logic which hoses VPN connections.

Kacey Green
05-07-2004, 08:38 PM
Yes alarms seem to be fixed, then again I never experianced the original alarm problem with Rex. I did experience it with the nino though, late for a couple of appts. 'till I figured out that many times it had to be on before an alarm from overnight went off.

MMMGT
05-07-2004, 09:02 PM
They just need to get with the program and put out the 2003SE upgrade for the 2200 series.. :-D

hdsalinas
05-07-2004, 09:34 PM
I know, they took my calculator and replaced it with the crappy one. For me the instant rate exchange added a useful and practical funcionality. Now I have the ugly calculator from the 1gen pocket pc!

Since I have a 1945 I guess I am stuck it it for ever! (no wm2003se upgrade for us)

:cry:

Phoenix
05-07-2004, 11:03 PM
What a bunch of dummies (these companies, that is). What's wrong with these people? Why can't they make updates work and work better and not worse? Don't they test this stuff? They have their engineers - is it that hard for them to do?

I don't think I'll ever understand these stupid blunders. Be it the fault of the engineers or the suits, or both.

If any update makes a product worse, then you DON'T RELEASE IT. If you can't do it right the first time, then don't do it at all. It's not rocket science.

bnycastro
05-08-2004, 02:01 AM
The Bluetooth Radio has trouble initiating... 'Insufficient Driver Memory Warning' (reminiscent of iPAQ h3870 before the updates) this never happened to me on ROM 1.00 the funny thing is if you cancel the prompt or warning and try to turn the BT on again it would turn on (without the soft reset)... I don't know if this is an isolated case though (it happened around 5-7 times since ROM 1.10 installation) I will try to replicate it.

Top of my head--this could be related to a Bluetooth BETA fix that I installed... This fix allows the 22xx and 19xx series iPAQs to connect to the newer Nokia Mobiles (fixes something about the BT passkey)... The fix works though maybe this is just a side-effect. If that's the case I can live with it, I guess.

Now if other users are having the same issue then maybe it isn't the BETA fix... and something might be wrong with the BT in ROM 1.10.

Kacey Green
05-08-2004, 06:01 AM
They just need to get with the program and put out the 2003SE upgrade for the 2200 series.. :-D
I wish...

lemieux66
05-08-2004, 06:37 AM
The 1.10 rom update has worked great for me. I used to have bluetooth dropouts only with my PC and now I have 0 bluetooth dropouts. I still connect fine to my sonyericson t610 and t608, don't ask me why I have both. :wink: Also no problems when connecting to my belkin bluetooth receiver.

It'll hold me over until the MPx comes out! :lol:

Kacey Green
05-08-2004, 06:41 AM
The 1.10 rom update has worked great for me. I used to have bluetooth dropouts only with my PC and now I have 0 bluetooth dropouts. I still connect fine to my sonyericson t610 and t608, don't ask me why I have both. :wink: Also no problems when connecting to my belkin bluetooth receiver.

It'll hold me over until the MPx comes out! :lol:

I also have the new belkin BT adapter, and the only other BT device I've seen with Rex is my PC.

Maybe it's time for Rex to have brain sugery hard reset style. It (the reset will need to wait untill a day where I don't have to work)

Mark_Venture
05-08-2004, 04:28 PM
I too have had no problems with the bluetooth in ROM 1.10. I have noticed that I no longer get the 'drop out' when connected via Activesync to my laptop for long file transfers, but that could be due to the latest version of Activesync as well.

Prior to the Rom 1.10 upgrade, I had no problems with BT connections "dropping off." Now, with Rom 1.10, I can no longer do large file transfers or sync Avantgo across bluetooth :( If I just sync contacts/calendar/tasks, BT connection stays active all day.

ActiveSync on my PC is ver 3.7.1 (build 3244) both before and after the ROM update.

Kacey Green
05-08-2004, 05:01 PM

Prior to the Rom 1.10 upgrade, I had no problems with BT connections "dropping off." Now, with Rom 1.10, I can no longer do large file transfers or sync Avantgo across bluetooth :( If I just sync contacts/calendar/tasks, BT connection stays active all day.

ActiveSync on my PC is ver 3.7.1 (build 3244) both before and after the ROM update.
ditto, no BT problems before update, several after

Janak Parekh
05-08-2004, 07:20 PM
Consider upgrading to build 4034 (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26249), although I don't think it'll necessarily help.

--janak

Kacey Green
05-08-2004, 07:31 PM
hmm my build says version 3.7 build 3083 :?
you think an upgrade would help?

bnycastro
05-09-2004, 04:53 AM
I've build 4034 for Async and have no problems syncing (even Avantgo) accross BT however I use a different BT USB Dongle (MSI Bluetooth PC2PC)... I've experienced the BT Insufficient Memory Driver again and I think it occurs when my PPC has been turned off for awhile, I am not 100% sure of this though... Otherwise no BT issues with ROM 1.10

Steven Cedrone
05-09-2004, 01:03 PM
Consider upgrading to build 4034 (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26249), although I don't think it'll necessarily help.

Followed by...

Please re-read the second part of Janak's post...

Steve

Racer-X
05-09-2004, 01:47 PM

Followed by...

Please re-read the second part of Janak's post...
I am pretty sure you have to read something the first time before you can re-read it. :roll: Seems to be an overzealousness to just post stuff without really reading much of anything lately. That's OK I guess. Once people get into junior high school, they learn these things.

Kacey Green
05-09-2004, 08:55 PM
right, are there any known issuses with my build, is there a way to get it back if the new one doesn't help?

ctmagnus
05-09-2004, 09:05 PM
right, are there any known issuses with my build, is there a way to get it back if the new one doesn't help?

Uninstall, reinstall. If you still have your previous installer, that is. The previous version is (most likely) still on the Microsoft site somewhere but I can't find it at the moment.

Kacey Green
05-09-2004, 09:10 PM
yeah, the problem is that i don't have the old installer just the new one.

ctitanic
05-11-2004, 12:38 PM
The SD Patch is not part of the ROM 1.10 update. I still getting people reporting problems while trying to move the IE temp files to a SD Card and the only solution is the installation of the SD patch.

http://www.wormholecreations.com.au/wc/megabbs/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1900&posts=2#M8339

Kacey Green
05-11-2004, 02:07 PM
Well, it seems the only thing they actually updated was the text of the upgrade. I just downloaded the patch, which is SP27073.exe for the English version and did a binary file comparison to the March file. Bit for bit, they are identical. So, it seems that you still need the standalone SD Update (http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handhelds/us/download/20674.html).

Mark_Venture
05-12-2004, 04:37 AM
Unfortunately, it didn't help.

Kacey Green
05-12-2004, 11:19 AM
I did the upgrade, it gets further in an avantgo sync, but it still doesn't finish before it disconnects