View Full Version : Socket SD WiFI card gets hot

ironguy
05-07-2004, 09:12 AM
I ahve an iPaq 2215 and a Socket SD WiFI card. The WiFi card gets hot after just a few minutes of use. Anyone else seen this...or felt it?

Kacey Green
05-07-2004, 11:09 AM
That dosen't sound normal dude.

Is it hot or just, warm to the touch.

If it is really hot, it may have a short somewhere.
Don't wait on us, contact your Socket support rep (or their help #).

Janak Parekh
05-07-2004, 04:44 PM
My Socket SD WiFi card does run warm, but it's not very hot to the touch. I only use it for 10-15 minutes at a time, though.

--janak

ironguy
05-08-2004, 09:10 AM
The card gets hot after only a few minutes. My SD mem card barely gets warm when in use which is why I am raising this concern. The SD WiFI card doesn't get so hot I can't hold it, but it does feel... hot.

Kacey Green
05-08-2004, 05:13 PM
Go ahead and ask support and tell us what they say. The last thing you want is to loose either you wifi card, your PPC or both 8O due to electrical problems

Janak Parekh
05-08-2004, 08:01 PM
The card gets hot after only a few minutes. My SD mem card barely gets warm when in use which is why I am raising this concern.
By all means, it will run hotter than a memory card -- it draws a lot of power. The question is... does your definition of hot match my definition of warm? ;)

--janak

Kacey Green
05-08-2004, 09:24 PM
Janak, you have a very valid point, but i'm telling him that if he's uncomfortable with it he should stop using the device and call support, they will be able to tell him if it is safe or not.

ironguy
05-09-2004, 11:16 AM
I tried using Socket's Support-On-Demand service, but it's really just a keyword search engine for their knowledge base. Didn't help.

Kacey Green
05-09-2004, 05:57 PM
Try calling their phone number during buisness hours, and do what you need to do to talk to a real person, ex. staying silent for the computer lady/man, pressing zero at the menu promts, if worst comes to worst follow the menus to get in the queue.

Veggie_Musician
05-10-2004, 11:54 AM
Its the radiation mate - a mobile phone will get hot in the same way.

Kacey Green
05-10-2004, 12:13 PM
The only time my mobile gets anthing more than warm, when it gets HOT, that means I've covered it while charging, and it gets too hot to hold or pocket comfortably, don't ask how it got covered during charging.

Stephen Beesley
05-10-2004, 01:55 PM
I know that both CF wifi cards that I have used in my Jornada get warm (there is that definition problem :D ) within a few minutes of starting to use them and stay at pretty much the same temperature even if I stay connected for an hour or so. Now my, totally unscientific, thinking is that with an SD wifi card you have everything packed into a much smaller space and I would not be at all suprised if the temperature generated was greater (maybe even hot!).

That said - I would also agree that you have nothing to loose by trying to get in touch with tech support for the card. after all if it is a problem it is better to find out now than when your card dies one day out of warranty!

Janak Parekh
05-10-2004, 04:37 PM
The only time my mobile gets anthing more than warm, when it gets HOT, that means I've covered it while charging, and it gets too hot to hold or pocket comfortably, don't ask how it got covered during charging.
Are you talking about your phone? It's possible it has a casing that dissipates heat well. However, the vast majority of cell phones will also turn quite warm if you talk for more than 20-30 minutes. And as uMP2k suggests, such tiny functionality is bound to get warm due to the power draw. The question that we're trying to figure out is if it's getting dangerously hot.

--janak