View Full Version : Multiple Devices

jalm1
05-06-2004, 10:38 PM
I am wondering how many users out there are using multiple devices, at the same time or in different situations, and not necessarily limited to PPC’s but I would say all different types of information management devices (like smartphones, PPC’s, Plams, Black Berries, etc.). I find myself not being able to find a device that works for everything that I need so I end up with multiple devices, and on occasion carrying two handhelds at the same time. i am just curious to see if other users have come across similar limitations and how they have overcome them, or work around device limitations. Do other people carry multiple devices at the same time, or use them at different times, or just say I can live without a few features.

Mark Kenepp
05-07-2004, 12:03 AM
At work, I always have my Ericsson MC218 (http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=TEMP_MC218) sitting in its dock next to my computer on my desk. It houses a fair amount of reference data (most of which is also on my iPaq 2215) that I need to access through out the day. It is much easier to reach over and tap on the screen or keyboard a few times to bring up the data than it is to pull my Pocket PC (which is on my person at all times) out of my pocket, open the case, turn it on then tap a few times to bring up the same data. Also the wider screen on the MC218 means that I have less scrolling at times.

Since I purchased my iPaq 2215, I have found that I am using it more and more and I do now call it my primary device but there are a few things that I do on my MC218 that I do not find as comfortable on my Pocket PC. I use a program called "Logit" Pelican Software, on my MC218 to track the time I spend on various tasks through out the day and have not seen anything similar for the Pocket PC. That is probably the primary reason I still keep it around. The fact that it uses AA batteries means that I can take it with me to Europe with out worrying about getting an AC adapter.

I also use a Sony Ericsson p800 (http://shopwireless.sonyericsson.com/store/PhoneDetail.asp?phone=SONY+ERICSSON+P800) but admittedly, I rarely use the PIM functions. I do keep some personal information on it and I sometimes use it to jot down some notes. I also use my p800 as my primary music device, mostly because it would be connected to my body slightly more often than my Pocket PC.