View Full Version : CF Camera

airconvent
05-05-2004, 03:48 PM
mm...I'm thinking CF cameras aren't very poular here...but here goes..
I have a CF Flycam 1.3MP camera c/w built in flash used on my E740. The flash is great but I would have liked to change to something smaller but with 1.3Mp minimum resolution.
So far, apart from my flycam , only the Pretec (CF) and HP (SD) has cameras in this range. The pretec 1.3m is not sold where i am (only the 600K version) but the HP is available.
I like the form factor...small and carried in an included pouch. I know the original 600K camera for the jornada produced one of the best images for a CF camera and I'm wondering if its worth it to pay twice as much as the competitors to get the HP SD camera. I noticed the lens assembly is smaller which means picture quality may be affected?

Thanks and advance.

DVD
05-06-2004, 11:42 AM
.... I have a CF Flycam 1.3MP camera c/w built in flash used on my E740. The flash is great but I would have liked to change to something smaller but with 1.3Mp minimum resolution.... the HP [SD] is available.
I like the form factor...small and carried in an included pouch.... I'm wondering if its worth it to pay twice as much as the competitors.... I noticed the lens assembly is smaller which means picture quality may be affected?

I have an HP SD camera. Can't comment on the lens quality, since I've never compared it to other 1.3Mpx cameras; but I can say it's considerably less clear than my 4Mpx Olympus C-4000. I use it for "snaps", rather than serious photography. The handy size means I can carry the little pouch on my belt pretty much permanently, right next to the holster for my iPaq 5550.

The thing that is really limiting is the lack of flash. If you want to use it in artificial light, it needs to be bright : fluorescent rather than incandescent.

airconvent
05-06-2004, 04:47 PM
Thanks DVD. One has to be realistic. The 1.3MP SD camera cannot be expected to perform like a 4MP consumer digital camera. They are 2 diff animals. Rather, the SD camera is a get-up-and-go convenient item you can put in your pocket and I expect it should take some decent pics, if it performs the same as the previous jornada 640x480 camera.
Yes, the flash on the flycam is convenient but cumbersome to use as well.
I need to set the flash distant correctly for everyshot, or else it will turn out over exposed or under exposed...

airconvent
06-06-2004, 05:44 PM
Hi
Seems like no one is really interested in CF cameras here.
I recently have the opportunity at a pc show to buy the HP SDIO 1.3MP camera for around US$45. It is listed as "for Ipaqs 1940, 2210, 5550,etc".
I asked the guy if it would work for the Toshiba E740 and he said no.
However, I have come across people who have gotten it to work on a Fujitsu Loox. So the question now is : Does the HP SD Camera come with generic PPC drivers?
Anyone can shed some light on this?
Thanks