View Full Version : A Season of Change...Switching One Hat for Another

Jason Dunn
05-04-2004, 06:45 AM
Since <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5381">I originally announced</a> my job with Spb Software House on this site, I felt it was right to announce that, effective today, I am no longer an employee of Spb Software House. I have the deepest respect for the developers there and the awesome work that they do, but the simple truth is that I no longer had the time to devote to doing my marketing work up to the level they deserve, so I stepped down as VP of Marketing. Running three Thoughts Media Inc. Web sites takes a tremendous amount of time, but I'm starting a new venture soon as well. I'll continue to be a fan of the great software Spb makes, only now I won't be paid for it. ;-) Now on to the other bit of news...<br /><br />Beginning this Wednesday, I'll be teaching a class at <a href="http://www.mtroyal.ab.ca/">Mount Royal College</a>. The class will be New Media for Public Relations, and it will focus largely on online communications, Web site analysis, and basic digital media concepts. Three things that I love doing, and three things that I'll love teaching. ;-) And guess who will be in my first class of students? My wife Ashley. I can already hear the jokes flying... :lol: The class will be one three hour session a week, so it's not a big time commitment, but seeing as this is my first real teaching job, I'm sure I'll be spending extra hours outside of class trying to figure out what I'm doing. I spent a few hours at the college today getting set up with an ID card, parking pass, and all that good stuff. <br /><br />In light of my new gig, I wanted to ask the teachers out there what sort of software they're using on their Pocket PC to assist them being a teacher. Lesson planning? Marking? What sorts of software should I be looking at loading up to make the most of my classroom experience? Oh, and any advice for first-time college teachers is welcome. :mrgreen:

Zack Mahdavi
05-04-2004, 06:49 AM
Good luck Jason... your class sounds very interesting. Will you have a class web site? I'd really like to see a Course Syllabus just to know what will be taught.

Well, good luck! :)

entropy1980
05-04-2004, 06:50 AM
Congrats on the new job! I know the feeling I am going to be teaching a Digital Video class this fall at a private high school out here....the worst part? Many of the kids have parents in the industry (the high school is only 5 minutes from Burbank and a lot of the student's parents are execs at the big studios) yikes! 8O I too would be intersted to see what software on PPC people are using....

Shadowcat
05-04-2004, 07:10 AM
Congratulations on the new job! I'm sure it'll be a success considering how knowledgable you are on these topics!

cesmithsc
05-04-2004, 07:12 AM
check out this software developed at Wake Forest for use in the classroom
http://classinhand.wfu.edu
I've played around with it in past and it is pretty slick

jizmo
05-04-2004, 07:30 AM
Most of the time you can get a good speaker who doesn't know anything about his technology. Or then a very technical person who hasn't got any kind of communicational skills.

I'm sure Jason has got the best of the both worlds here. Good luck!

/jizmo

Iznot Gold
05-04-2004, 08:28 AM
1st rule, on being a teacher: don't 'sleep' with the students!

Doh!......1st class.....1st rule broken! :D

Have a great time...David

Kacey Green
05-04-2004, 11:17 AM
Best wishes! :)

Ryan Joseph
05-04-2004, 11:28 AM
Wow, that's great! Good luck, but I'm sure your students will like you as much as we do here. :D

And I think this was a good reason to have delayed in the posting of the new reviewers. That's quite a big lifestyle change and I'm sure you were busy. :wink:

:mrgreen:

Kacey Green
05-04-2004, 11:39 AM
Wow, that's great! Good luck, but I'm sure your students will like you as much as we do here. :D

And I think this was a good reason to have delayed in the posting of the new reviewers. That's quite a big lifestyle change and I'm sure you were busy. :wink:

:mrgreen:

If he's one of the teachers they like they will like him as much as we do.

But teachers arn't there to make friends so don't give in to any social pressuring, but don't be too strict.

Best wishes, and please try to keep your hands off the students. :wink:

dazz
05-04-2004, 12:48 PM
Congrats Jason!! Sounds like you are looking forward to it, which is great.

I should let you know that HanDBase (http://www.handbase.com) is used quite extensively by Teachers.

Here is an application built by Sam Soto (a DDH Software employee) for teachers. It is free and uses HanDBase to run: http://www.ddhsoftware.com/gallery.html?show=number&record=1952

With it you can keep info on Students, Teachers, Attendance, Homework, Tests and Grades. It's probably geared more for K12 teachers but you might still find it useful.

Hey, you can always build your own.

Here's an offer Jason; I build the custom applications for DDH Software customers and am willing to build you an application for free. Just let me know what information you would like to track and have with you and we'll get it going for you. 8)

Deal?

Gary Garland, Esq.
05-04-2004, 01:23 PM
Congrats. They say teachers never know when/where their influence ends (so no nose picking). If you're going to give visual presentations, you may want to consider some of the presentation hardware from mobile planet, etc. that connect your ppc to a projector. I'm considering something like that for seminars i'm slated to give. Or, you could just use a notebook with a projector.
oh, you can use graphing software to calculate a bell curve! :)

Kati Compton
05-04-2004, 03:47 PM
In light of my new gig, I wanted to ask the teachers out there what sort of software they're using on their Pocket PC to assist them being a teacher. Lesson planning? Marking? What sorts of software should I be looking at loading up to make the most of my classroom experience? Oh, and any advice for first-time college teachers is welcome. :mrgreen:

This isn't because *I* think it'll be a problem, but some issues you should be aware of at least. I'm actually surprised that they allowed Ashley to be in your class. While there's the more "obvious" concern that she'll get a break in your class "I know she really knows this...", there's actually other issues involved. Like potentially, you being harder on her because "she should know better" or to prove you're *not* giving her a break. And just the fact that she has more access to help than anyone else in the class. Even if those aren't actually issues for you, they may *appear* to be to the other students, which can cause trouble in the class. So just be aware, and prepared to deal with any trouble that might come up.

As for software... In the past I've only used PowerPoint (to make lecture slides - I use a computer projector) and Excel for grading (side note - Americans call "marking" "grading"). Anyway - the university I'm at now has some special course software to keep track of enrollment and grades. Unfortunately, while I can ENTER grades (and see nice distributions and stuff), I can't SUBMIT them through this program. I think I have to fill out a scan-tron sheet. I'll find out soon - my final exam is on Monday.

---

So here's some general advice, some of which may work for you, some of which may not. Teaching style is very personal. Oh, and a lot of this will be rambly, as I'm thinking of things as I go.

As for class - know the type of students you'll be getting. In other words, are these undergrads? Mostly people *returning* to college? It affects how much "push" you generally need to give. For example, returning students and graduate students are usually a little more self-motivating than undergrads, frequently because they're more focused on it and/or they're paying for it (instead of parents).

Remember that everyone's human. If you say something isn't going to count towards their grade, most students won't do it. Also, most people won't do the homework or study for exams until the last minute. This can be better with returning students and grad students, but not always.

Make a late policy up front, and stick to it unless they have a doctor's note or a note from a funeral director. If you let ONE student get by for a slightly less compelling reason, then you basically have to let EVERYONE get by for less compelling reasons. Better to have the penalty either be small (potentially increasing as the number of days pass), or give a pre-determined amount of freebies to everyone, with the understanding that they won't get any more so they should spend them wisely.

Don't be upset when not everyone attends every class.

Wait until you've finished grading the exams or the homeworks before getting depressed (it's easy to notice only the really bad scores and think the whole class did poorly when that's in fact not true).

Treat every question as if its valid, even if it isn't. It's really hard in many cases to get students (especially ugrads) to ask questions in class. You don't want to discourage them.

Write big enough on the board (use a big enough font in PowerPoint). Remember, students tend to sit in back.

Cheating is bad. Giving the answer is cheating too. Personally, I give 0s to both cheaters and cheatees on whatever assignment/exam/etc. has the cheating. And they know up front that this is one of many possible punishments (most of which are worse, like failing, going through academic dishonesty procedures, etc).

It's okay to be funny, but let them know you can be serious too, and will follow through on your policies.

If students know they can turn stuff in late, they probably will.

You will spend FAR more time outside of class preparing/grading/etc. than in class lecturing. At least, usually. It's actually rather surprising.

It usually takes longer to write a good homework or exam than to do/take it. But the students won't appreciate this. :) (You can complain to Janak and I if you want).

When possible (and it isn't always possible), have homeworks resemble actual projects/situations that could occur, so the students can relate what they're learning in class to what happens outside of class. This is probably going to be obvious with your course, but can take a lot of effort in other courses (like with something Janak or I might teach).

Try to keep learning fun. Or, at the very least, interesting.

Even if you think it's fun, not everyone in the class will. You won't reach all the students. Not all the students will get the full benefit of your course. You can but try - a lot of it is up to them. (But, remember my earlier note about needing to "lead" some students more... It takes effort on both your parts for this to work).

While it may seem that I'm insulting undergrads, that's really not the case. Frequently it's that they're still making that transition from high school to "real world" where things don't get done unless you do them yourself. Other times, it's excitement at being away from home and having fewer "rules" (and learning they need to make their own).

Damn, I sound old.

Anyway - I'm sure I'll think of more later.

Mike Temporale
05-04-2004, 04:17 PM
Congrats on the new job! At the same time, I'm sorry to see you part ways with Spb. They are a great company, and I you've done some amazing work with them. Where would we be today without the Spb benchmark or Spb imageer? (Just to name a few)

So here's some general advice,

8O Wow. And listen to Kati. She's got some great advice there.

Kacey Green
05-04-2004, 04:20 PM
watch out for plaigirism

Kati Compton
05-04-2004, 04:21 PM
8O Wow. And listen to Kati. She's got some great advice there.
Ah, if only all would listen! :)

It actually helps being reasonably close to my student years, and having taught a few times. :)

When Janak gets back from the review session for HIS class, he'll add to the thread too. In fact, he has a tip that *I* should have remembered...

Jeff Rutledge
05-04-2004, 04:23 PM
Good Luck Jason. This sounds like a great opportunity.

Jon Westfall
05-04-2004, 04:32 PM
Here are my tips, as I've been teaching Continuing Education students at The University of Akron for 2 1/2 years now:

* In your syllabus, remember to put in a disclaimer to the effect of "Things beyond the instructor's control can cause syllabus to change". This is common sense, but you may have a student here or there that sticks to the syllabus like its the Bible, and will put up a major fight should you deviate from it.

* Make sure you establish an environment where students feel free to ask questions, but know their is a line they can cross that will cause them to be asked to leave the class meeting. I've had students get particularly upset and verbally combatitive with me when I explain to them that their 486 just can't be updated to run Grand Theft Auto 3 (One woman started taking issue with having to upgrade at all... it caused the entire class to become very tense and unfriendly while we waited for her next off-hand comment or confrontation).

* Be fun about teaching. Do unexpected things (I.e. I play music before class off my laptop, alternating genres and generally playing things my student's don't expect to hear. As they have varying age groups, I'll play something from the 80's, something from the 60's, and something current).

* Be wary of emailing / posting things online. I used to post powerpoint slides online and then as soon as I feel behind a week or posted not 100% of the lecture, I got an earful from my class. I wasn't required to do this, and it soon became a big annoyance to be chastised by my students for failing to do them a favor. Sometimes a good "closed-instructors notes" policy is needed. Explain that your notes, or copies of your presentations, are not distributed if need be.

* Kati's right about the time it takes to compose a good test or homework assignment. Make sure you plan for at least 1 - 2 hours for a test, and up to 1 hour for a well-written homework. Lectures also take a lot of time. Make sure you don't get into power-point speed mode (Try to keep it to 1 slide every 3 minutes, unless you're showing figures or pictures).

* Lastly, a student's attention is only held by lecture for 25 minutes, after that, research shows students begin to drift away. Mix up your lectures with multimedia, or activities to keep students awake and motivated.

Hope those help. As far as PPC software to use, I tend to prefer the old powerpoint / excel combo for my stuff, so Pocket Excel is what I use.

Jon.

xendula
05-04-2004, 05:51 PM
I've been teaching for 4 years now. My tip: keep it interesting and fun. If you see students drifting away in day dreams, get physically closer to them (like go to the back rows if that's where they sit) and ask them questions.

I don't know if you can do this, but I announce more tests than there are. That way they study, and I don't hear anyone complain when there is no test. (Usually they think I forgot :wink: )

A common mistake for people who use a projector is to face the wall instead of the class, don't know if you knew this, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. Keep eye contact as much as possible.

Can't think of anything else right now, I'll post back if I remember anything else.

paschott
05-04-2004, 06:16 PM
Congrats on the teaching - while I'm not a professional teacher, my wife was & I still teach in my SS Class. I picked up a book a while ago on teaching called "The 7 Laws of the LEARNER". Admittedly, this is written from a Christian perspective, but still holds a lot of valid points for teachers in general. Some sample points:
1. If the students aren't learning, you're not teaching. A high failure rate doesn't mean that your class is tough. This made a big impression because I had profs like that through college. Didn't learn anything.
2. Expectation of your class plays a big part. The author wrote how his 1st year he was told that "Section 2" was the gifted class. Sure enough, that class out-performed all of the others noticeably. It was only 1/2 way through the semester that he found out they'd done away with the gifted class that year, making the student layout the same as all of the others. He just expected them to be different & they were.
3. Make sure that whatever you teach has practical application. (Duh.) I remember failing miserably in classes until the practical side came up - then I shot way up in grades & attentiveness.

I think it might be interesting reading in general, but you may want to get it through a library to skim through it. There were a lot of neat ideas in the book.

Best of luck.

-Pete Schott

kcwester
05-04-2004, 06:42 PM
I am a high school teacher and feel you will have a lot of luck and a lot of fun. Remember, the students in your class are there because they want to be and not because they have to be. That is half the battle right there as you have a captive audience that is eager to partake of your knowledge.

You need to vary the lesson plans. Also, students like to work in groups and enjoy projects. Depending on the length of your class one or two projects is usually appropriate. Give them time to organize in class but let them know up front that the work has to be done at home and that additional time will be necessary.

As stated by someone previously, PowerPoint is wonderful. I use it as my notes and then students can't complain that they can't read handwriting. Another thing is to let students that were absent access your PowerPoint to take notes and get an idea of what you think is inportant.

Some teachers post PowerPoints on the Internet in addition to assignments. That is a personal choice and might depend on the policy of your school.

If you are brave have the students critique your class at the end and give you ideas of what you need to change. Don't be afraid to admit that you have made a mistake and evaluate your tests to see if one problem was missed more than any other. If that is the case you night need to reteach that section. I know I constantly change my tests and how I do things. Depending on how you are testing you might even want to consider giving second chance tests.

Most important, if you are having fun and enjoying yourself your students will also.

Good luck and let us know how you do.
Cheryl

DavidHorn
05-04-2004, 07:49 PM
Congradamalations!

I'll love you for ever if you manage to get a plug for PocketGamer.org in to your lessons ;)

CTSLICK
05-04-2004, 08:35 PM
Advice:

Show no fear...students can sense fear from the back of the classroom. :twisted:

klinux
05-04-2004, 09:30 PM
Best wishes!!!

Kacey Green
05-04-2004, 09:56 PM
teacherthoughts.com
teachingthoughts.com
:lol:

BTS
05-05-2004, 12:31 AM
Enjoy the world of teaching, Jason! I've been doing it for ten years and have enjoyed every minute of it.

As for using a Pocket PC (which has been my "growth plan" for the last 4 years):

- A fantastic program is Teacher's Assistant Professional. It's cheap and includes both PPC and Palm programs (free!) to use with the program. It can be used at any grade level. It allows for rubrics, lesson plans, etc., etc. You can e-mail grade assignments, progress, etc. Reports are generated in HTML so you can use your web wizardry and even have a secure site to post your grades. Try it for 30 days - you won't regret it! You can find it at www.greatspiritsoftware.com

- As for planning I put in all of my lessons in Pocket Informant as tasks. I can then set dates for them to appear in my calendar on the day of the lesson. You keep notes about the lesson (in college that would be your lecture notes) in the notes field. PI has been awesome.

-Set up your students as contacts in PI. You can then link external files to their name. I take photos of my students and then import them for PI to use.

-I have a Toshiba e750. I'm really wanting to pick up that expansion pack (for $150...whew, gotta run that past my wife). You can create your lectures in PPT and then use the PPC to show them. You're then not anchored to a notebook, etc......although with the content of your class you will probably want to use a notebook to show internet sites, etc.

-Use TextMaker to keep your tests, etc. Use Excel (or spreadsheet of your choice) to keep track of checklists, etc (or use a list manager). I also use Access Panel to have commonly used phrases when I am writing out evaluations.

The Pocket PC will be your indispensible tool! Have fun!

GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Janak Parekh
05-05-2004, 03:52 AM
Some good advice all around. Here's some of mine. I won't by any stretch cover them all, but hopefully you'll find this helpful. Feel free to ignore any irrelevant material. I'll reply to some of Kati's and dadarkmcse's points too...

- You're really not an expert on a subject until you teach it. You'd be amazed, but especially the first time, assuming you know a subject doesn't mean you've internalized it to the point where you can explain it to someone else. PowerPoint slides are a big help, but make sure not to rely on them entirely -- I've seen so many presenters that read off the slides, and that's a total turn-off to a class. I sometimes force myself to explain stuff on the blackboard, which I think is a good extra tactic. (Having talked to you in person, I don't think you fit in that category, but it's always good to keep in the back of your mind.)

- When you make up a homework, if it's specific, do it yourself first. You'd be amazed how many bugs crop up until you do it. This is more important for CS than other fields, and if it's a project obviously it's not doable, but it's often worthwhile.

- Engaging a class is hard -- and you should expect it to be. I think it'll be less of a problem for a Communications class, but in CS glassy stares are the norm, especially at the beginning. As others mentioned, ask lots of questions and wander around the room as appropriate. Asking people to present, etc. are also great ways to increase involvement. I also make a huge effort to try and learn everyone's name. Doesn't always happen, but I think the bond that forms increases students' respect of me.

- Projecting and timing are tough skills. I naturally speak way too loud, so that part isn't a problem, but I also speak a bit fast, and I've had to learn to pace myself. Make sure people are hearing what you say, depending on how the classroom is set up. Pacing is also tricky in-and-of-itself: I used to take about 35 PowerPoint slides in about 75 minutes, but I'm now down to about 20-25, because I give lots of board examples as I can and force more interaction. Especially at the beginning, prepare extra material, beyond what you'll think, for the first class -- it's common, if you're nervous, to run through material faster and have nothing left over at the end. Kati isn't nervous about her class, but she can vouch for my point when I say that extra material is helpful.

- Be accessible. I personally ask students not to call me Professor Parekh and force them to call me Janak (partially because I'm not, but more importantly, because I prefer being called by my first name). I also schedule my office hours at a convenient time (right after class). I try to encourage people to engage me early on in the homework process, and try not to be intimidating. Kati might be different on this one... :twisted: ;)

I'm sure other points will come up in time.

As for my Pocket PC, I don't use it beyond the basic PIM organization features. I use the calendaring and tasks features heavily for my class, but the rest of the stuff (being a CS class) is done on my computer. I could carry my gradebook in a Pocket Excel spreadsheet, but I don't typically need it halfway down the street. ;)

--janak

Janak Parekh
05-05-2004, 04:03 AM
I think I have to fill out a scan-tron sheet. I'll find out soon - my final exam is on Monday.
We've got a neat webgrading interface, but it's not Excel. I do use Excel for my statistical analysis/curving, though.

Remember that everyone's human. If you say something isn't going to count towards their grade, most students won't do it.
More than human -- assume they're essentially mercenary. As Kati alluded, this is less of an issue with higher-education students sometimes, and at other times, higher-education students are worse.

Don't be upset when not everyone attends every class.
Or make attendance mandatory and take attendance. For a CS or CE class, it's not important -- it's the student's prerogative -- but for a Communications class, I could see attendance as being critical.

Wait until you've finished grading the exams or the homeworks before getting depressed (it's easy to notice only the really bad scores and think the whole class did poorly when that's in fact not true).
Also decide whether or not, ahead of time, whether you're going to curve/scale grades. I scale grades up based on the median, which is typical for CS courses. For non-engineering courses, it's a lot more varied; I've taken a number of non-engineering courses where there is no curving or scaling.

Treat every question as if its valid, even if it isn't. It's really hard in many cases to get students (especially ugrads) to ask questions in class. You don't want to discourage them.
Agreed. In one of the first lectures, I got a simple question about whether an email client was the same thing as UNIX terminal client. Some other students must have smiled or laughed quietly, but I took it seriously and answered it levelly. I also repeatedly say "good question"; perhaps a little too much, but I'd rather encourage students than discourage them.

You will spend FAR more time outside of class preparing/grading/etc. than in class lecturing. At least, usually. It's actually rather surprising.
Not surprising to me! Lectures are the easy part once you've perfected them.

It usually takes longer to write a good homework or exam than to do/take it. But the students won't appreciate this. :) (You can complain to Janak and I if you want).
I do point out the amount of work I put in a homework, and most students grumble but do admit it's testing their skills appropriately. I put insane amount of time preparing homeworks -- probably on the order of 4-6 hours -- but you would know that, as I was trying to do one during the Summit... :|

When possible (and it isn't always possible), have homeworks resemble actual projects/situations that could occur
And have them resemble exam questions, if you're going to have an exam. Students hate it when they get easy homework questions, and then they get exam questions that are an order-of-magnitude harder.

Damn, I sound old.
:P You're only one year older than me...

--janak

Janak Parekh
05-05-2004, 04:11 AM
Make sure you establish an environment where students feel free to ask questions, but know their is a line they can cross that will cause them to be asked to leave the class meeting.
This might vary by school. I've never had a situation about this. Although, I have asked to take discussions offline when they've gotten off-topic.

Be wary of emailing / posting things online. I used to post powerpoint slides online and then as soon as I feel behind a week or posted not 100% of the lecture, I got an earful from my class.
So, more importantly, be consistent with whatever strategy you pick. I do post my slides online, at least 12 hours before class, and I stick to it. Students really find them helpful. However, note that I do not post PPT files, but rather just PDF printouts. Third parties will steal PPTs if you post them on the web. :(

Make sure you plan for at least 1 - 2 hours for a test, and up to 1 hour for a well-written homework.
You're good. It takes me about 6-10 hours for an exam, and 4-6 hours for a homework. Of course, it varies by field.

--janak

Janak Parekh
05-05-2004, 04:13 AM
A common mistake for people who use a projector is to face the wall instead of the class, don't know if you knew this, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. Keep eye contact as much as possible.
Yep, this is quite critical. :) In fact, I know my slides pretty much by heart, so they're only an accessory to my talk. I don't even need to see them when I lecture. I just have to remember to advance them... ;)

--janak

Janak Parekh
05-05-2004, 04:15 AM
As stated by someone previously, PowerPoint is wonderful. I use it as my notes and then students can't complain that they can't read handwriting. Another thing is to let students that were absent access your PowerPoint to take notes and get an idea of what you think is inportant.
The absentee point is a good one. I expect my students to catch up with any material they've missed.

If you are brave have the students critique your class at the end and give you ideas of what you need to change. Don't be afraid to admit that you have made a mistake and evaluate your tests to see if one problem was missed more than any other.
Yes - feedback is quite common at the college level. :) I personally am aggressive about it, because I'm always trying to improve.

Most important, if you are having fun and enjoying yourself your students will also.
I enjoy it a lot, except I hate writing homeworks. :|

--janak

Jeff Rutledge
05-05-2004, 04:52 AM
Enjoy the world of teaching, Jason! I've been doing it for ten years and have enjoyed every minute of it.

&lt;snip>

The Pocket PC will be your indispensible tool! Have fun!

I don't know about all that other stuff...

GO FLAMES GO!!!!

But it's obvious to me that this guy is brilliant!!! :mrgreen:

peterawest
05-05-2004, 05:01 PM
Jason,

I’m not a teacher in the sense that you will be, but I do teach technical classes as part of my business. Here are a few thoughts:

Using PowerPoint

• I use a notebook computer connected to a Dell projector, with a remote control. The notebook is turned to face me, so that I can see what the students are seeing on the screen. This allows for good eye contact, for the reason that xendula mentioned earlier.

• Mix up the text with simple graphics, and don’t write out everything on the slide. Write it like an outline, not a manuscript. You want the student to focus on what you’re telling them, and not spending all of their time reading what you wrote on the slide.

• Create a simple theme for your slides, and use it consistently.

About the Students

In my previous line of work I was responsible for managing a large IT Support team that consisted of Help Desk, Field Staff and Technical Trainers. One of the best ways of helping all in the group to grow beyond their own imagined limitations was through a use of the Pygmalion Principle.

Basically this principle teaches that you often get what you expect. As a manager, this was a very powerful reality for me, one that I harnessed to work for the team. Keep in mind that it works both ways, if you expect less of a person, or in your case a student, that view can control performance in a negative way.

So, it’s your job to set and reinforce your expectations in a manner that supports and enhances the performance of your students.

In other words, if you expect great things from your students, and you express your confidence in them regularly, thus reinforcing your belief, they will perform better.

Read a little about the principle here: http://www.gmp1st.com/mntp/mntp0299.htm

opus
05-06-2004, 04:56 AM
Hmm, Janak and Kati covered a lot. I have a page of Teaching Tips (http://philgross.com/Teaching_tips.html) specifically aimed at Columbia grad students teaching computer science courses, but you may find some of the checklist stuff useful.

I would also add some presentation tips (http://webhost.bridgew.edu/jhayesboh/NOT13TH/presentations.HTM) from Edward Tufte (http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/), author of some of the most beautiful books in existence.

ET also has a link to a classic article on teaching technique (http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/mosteller_p1) (aimed at statistics teachers, but most of its ideas are universally applicable). The core of the article starts on page 3.

Although I just remembered that marketing/communications is your area, so this stuff is probably old hat.

Anyway, best of luck.

-- Opus

Johnathan
06-27-2004, 10:43 AM
Good luck! :D