View Full Version : I HATE the HP slip case!!!

jbachandouris
05-03-2004, 10:26 PM
:evil: I bought an HP 4155 from CompUSA and bought the 2 year TAP plan. Included in the 2 year plan is a free leather case by mail. The case takes about 2 months to arrive and its still not here, but today the HP slip case failed me. My Ipaq hit the ground on it corner. It still works and the damage is cosmetic and barely noticeable, but its not PERFECT anymore :<.

According to CompUSA, I can use my TAP warranty to replace the unit (for a refurb :<) if I don't like the looks of it now, but I think I'll live with it until it really does break since that would use the TAP plan and require another warranty plan purchase.

Kacey Green
05-06-2004, 03:18 AM
:evil: I bought an HP 4155 from CompUSA and bought the 2 year TAP plan. Included in the 2 year plan is a free leather case by mail. The case takes about 2 months to arrive and its still not here, but today the HP slip case failed me. My Ipaq hit the ground on it corner. It still works and the damage is cosmetic and barely noticeable, but its not PERFECT anymore :<.

According to CompUSA, I can use my TAP warranty to replace the unit (for a refurb :<) if I don't like the looks of it now, but I think I'll live with it until it really does break since that would use the TAP plan and require another warranty plan purchase.

I second that, I've dropped Rex from about two feet (I was sitting in a chair in the company break room, Rex inside the slipcase it was ok though.

What I hate about the HP slipcase is, I'm now about to order my second set of rubber side grips for Rex, because that stupid slipcase keeps chewing through them. I refuse to buy a 3rd party case unless I can sync in the cradle. (Even though I sysnc through bluetooth)

Kati Compton
05-06-2004, 03:24 AM
I refuse to buy a 3rd party case unless I can sync in the cradle. (Even though I sysnc through bluetooth)
I may regret asking this.

Why is it important to you to be able to do something you never do?

Kacey Green
05-06-2004, 04:01 AM
I use the cradle when I do rom updates, put music on my CF card, or on the many occasions where avantgo gets into a rut of disconnecting my BT connection. Plus if I don't need to take Rex out of the case to sync, the only good reason to take Rex out of its case is to switch batteries (of which I currently only own one)

Sven Johannsen
05-06-2004, 04:16 AM
I agree with Katie. Sounds like you need something to gripe about. ;)

Right now, if you are using the HP slip case you have to take the thing out EVERY time you use it or sync it, even via BT. With any decent case you would only need to remove REX in those few instances you mentioned. I can tell you to forget about a sync-in-case option. Not that they don't exist. I love my SENA, which does that, and there are others. Fact is that the case must be very thin and cut-away so that in-case-syncing is possible. That makes the PPC vulnerable at the bottom if you drop it. (I chose not to drop it. So far so good)

If you want to improve protection, you are going to need something other than a sync-in-case model, and you will have to live with removing it to do some things.

I think the only way we are ever going to see a good protection sync-in-cradle case is if one of the PPC OEMs provides a case like the Vaja Evolution line AND designs their cradle to fit with it on. OR, one of the Case makers creates an after market cradle that works with their case.

Kacey Green
05-06-2004, 04:29 AM
You've made a convert out of me, what case would you recommend that can be attached to a belt (or can have a belt-clip attached to it) for $100 or less? It would be nice if the 3rd party case isn't any larger than that craptaular slip case

I didn't realise from the reviews I was reading that the sync cases were that much thinner, but when you bring it up D'OH, I should have cought that from the beginning

CDizzle
05-06-2004, 05:27 PM
You've made a convert out of me, what case would you recommend that can be attached to a belt (or can have a belt-clip attached to it) for $100 or less? It would be nice if the 3rd party case isn't any larger than that craptaular slip case

I really like the looks of the Vaja leather cases (http://www.vajacases.com).

I think the case for the 4150 was $58 US (or somewhere there abouts) for the case with the belt clip.

Geoff

Ripper014
05-06-2004, 07:50 PM
Check out the Sena case I have the one without the beltclip... and its nice... The design is such that it does not make the device much bigger... and it provides a flipcover that I did not think I would like but it is ok... and I love the magnetic closure opposed to the clasp that most cases use. It also allows you to sync it to the cradle without removing it from the case.

And most importantly... their customer service is outstanding... I had several problems with my case... and they were quick in correcting every issue. Two big thumbs up... Plus the price is right... $39.99 and for the belt clip it is only another $5.00

http://www.senacases.com/cart/customer/home.php?cat=257

Sven Johannsen
05-07-2004, 03:23 AM
Like I said I like my SENA cases. I went for Sync-in-Cradle as a basic requirement and am living with the reduced protection. If you are a dropsy sort though, I'd stay away from them as they are very thin, especially at the bottom. Good screen protection, excellent construction, and I find them very convenient.

If you want all over protection, you need to get advice from others with that same need. I don't have any cases that really fit that bill except for the proporta style aluminum ones. They have their own issues, which I'm sure will be pointed out.

Kacey Green
05-07-2004, 03:54 AM
They have their own issues, which I'm sure will be pointed out.
I hope so, because this is helpful.

CDizzle
05-07-2004, 10:37 PM
I have an Aluminum case right now for my 4150. I went back to using the hated slip case that came with the unit. The aluminum case is some good solid protection but I found the side opening door was annoying. I found I didnt have as much of the unit to hold onto because of the hinges/door on the right side of the case. You definitely cant sync it in the cradle with these cases, you could sync via cable though. Also, if you are even remotely weight concious the aluminum case weighs almost as much as the 4150 did on its own. It has a single SD card storage slot on the inside of the door which was convenient.

All in all, I didnt like it much. It looks like Vaja cases has the 4150 cases in stock finally, so I'll be ordering one of those shortly. The Sena cases looked decent, but I dont know if sacrificing some protection just to be able to sync via cradle is worth it.

Anyway, those are just my $.02 worth... thats also Canadian so it may not be worth a whole heck of alot.

Geoff

Kacey Green
05-08-2004, 06:12 AM
I absolutely cannot have a side opening door, because I am a southpaw and as anyone knows us lefties don't like objects obstructing our writing/pointing/dragging/drawing movments.