View Full Version : Remember - Mother's Day is coming!

Kati Compton
05-03-2004, 08:30 PM
Just a reminder if you're from somewhere that celebrates Mother's Day - it's this Sunday!<br /><br />To celebrate, KnowBetter.com has put together <a href="http://www.knowbetter.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=86">a reading list of mom-related eBooks</a>!<br /><br />Happy reading, and Happy Mother's Day in advance to any mothers out there in the PPCT readership.<br /><br /><i>***Note: It seems different countries celebrate on different dates - if your "Mother's Day" is not Sunday the 9th, when is it? </i>

OSUKid7
05-03-2004, 08:34 PM
Hmm, the front page of PPCT shows the link as plain text/BBCode:
To celebrate, KnowBetter.com has put together a reading list of mom-related eBooks! (http://www.knowbetter.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=86)
yet the discussion shows it fine. I don't think you should have the quotation marks in the url.

edit: ok, strange, looks fine now. :|

Kati Compton
05-03-2004, 08:36 PM
edit: ok, strange, looks fine now. :|
That's because I noticed it too and fixed it. ;) I had meant to click "preview" to check it before posting, but accidentally hit "submit".

Zensbikeshop
05-03-2004, 08:54 PM
Just a reminder if you're from somewhere that celebrates Mother's Day - it's this Sunday!

To celebrate, KnowBetter.com has put together a reading list of mom-related eBooks (http://www.knowbetter.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=86)!

Happy reading, and Happy Mother's Day in advance to any mothers out there in the PPCT readership.

I am from somewhere that celebrates Mother's Day and it was in March!

Rather assumptive that the rest of the world has Mother's Day the same day as you....

arnage2
05-03-2004, 09:11 PM
im getting my mommy some flowers. :D im the favorite

Kati Compton
05-03-2004, 09:53 PM
I'm always happy to learn more about the world, though I do prefer to not be insulted while doing so.

Regardless - this is interesting! Which countries have a Mother's Day on a different day than this Sunday? Or don't celebrate it at all?

Pat Logsdon
05-03-2004, 10:01 PM

Rather assumptive that the rest of the world has Mother's Day the same day as you....
I'm assuming that you don't need to be reminded, then? :wink: A quick Google search shows that the majority of countries (http://festival.indiatimes.com/articleshow/9247422.cms) in the world celebrate Mother's day in May. Here's another breakdown from an interesting about.com article:

• Mother's Day in Britain -- or Mothering Sunday -- came to be celebrated again after World War II, when American servicemen brought the custom and commercial enterprises used it as an occasion for sales, etc.
• the second Sunday in May is Mother's Day not only in the United States, but also in other countries including Denmark, Finland, Italy, Turkey, Australia and Belgium. By the end of Anna Jarvis' life, Mother's Day was celebrated in more than 40 countries.
• in Spain, Mother's Day is December 8, on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, so that not only mothers in one's family are honored, but also Mary, mother of Jesus.
• in France, Mother's Day is on the last Sunday of May. A special cake resembling a bouquet of flowers is presented to mothers at a family dinner.
• the Women's International League for Peace and Freedom, the Women's Action for Nuclear Disarmament, the League of Women Voters and other organizations still organize protests on Mother's Day: The Million Mom March, protests at nuclear weapons sites, etc.
I'll be taking my mom to dinner. :mrgreen:

jake080
05-03-2004, 10:20 PM
i gave my mom a cd, and did so early ;)

Jonathon Watkins
05-03-2004, 10:54 PM
Regardless - this is interesting! Which countries have a Mother's Day on a different day than this Sunday? Or don't celebrate it at all?

Mother's day in the UK was on the 21st of March. I sent a card & phoned. :)

jake080
05-03-2004, 10:57 PM
bleh, the server died on me!

:rotfl:

ctmagnus
05-04-2004, 03:52 AM
OT:

• in France, Mother's Day is on the last Sunday of May. A special cake resembling a bouquet of flowers is presented to mothers at a family dinner.

Anyone else notice that Outlook has a real problem with recurring holidays that happen on the last xday (Sunday, Monday...) of the month?

jake080
05-04-2004, 04:12 AM
Haha, im sure it does!
...in addition to every other problem it spikes!

! = spike? :lol:
im feeling a little whacky... and no im not drunk... but uh is that how minorly drink people act? hehe
yeah, only tired here though!
... goodnight PPCT's coolpeoples!

cyclist
05-04-2004, 01:44 PM
Mother's day in the UK was on the 21st of March. I sent a card &amp; phoned. :)

Mothers' day in UK is the fourth Sunday in Lent. This can usually be reckoned as within a week before or after 21st March, which is my mother's birthday, so it's double presents for her. I was surprised to find that Malaysia, a mainly Moslem country, celebrates Mothers' day on the same day as in UK.

Zensbikeshop
05-04-2004, 02:50 PM
I'm always happy to learn more about the world, though I do prefer to not be insulted while doing so.

I hadn't intended to insult you and can't actually see how I did; however I apologise for any insult felt.

I merely wanted to highlight the UScentrism of the post.

It seems at least the UK and Malaysia have Mother's Day earlier.

Thanks

Kati Compton
05-04-2004, 04:01 PM
I merely wanted to highlight the UScentrism of the post.

No problem. I had *tried* to "internationalize" it by indicating that I thought maybe not everyone celebrated, but it didn't occur to me to think it might be a different day. It's hard to list all of the caveats!*

* Void where prohibited. No purchase necessary to enter. Results may vary. Advertised results not guaranteed. Different dye lots may have subtle variations in color. Check with your doctor before beginning any exercise program. May cause drowsiness and/or excitability. Do not operate heavy machinery. May contain peanuts or peanut pieces.

Kati Compton
05-04-2004, 04:09 PM
Mothers' day in UK is the fourth Sunday in Lent. This can usually be reckoned as within a week before or after 21st March, which is my mother's birthday, so it's double presents for her. I was surprised to find that Malaysia, a mainly Moslem country, celebrates Mothers' day on the same day as in UK.
"Mom - I'm sorry - I gave up gift-giving for Lent..."

So... I think this is a word problem....

Easter Sunday is the Sunday following the Paschal Full Moon (PFM) date for the year, (http://www.assa.org.au/edm.html#Method) and Lent is the 40 days before Easter, (http://www.sundayschoollessons.com/lent.htm) and Mother's Day is the 4th Sunday in that?

So, the 40 days of Lent end on Easter Sunday. 40/7 = 5.714etc, so 5 full weeks and 5 days. The 5 days don't reach back around to a Sunday, so the fourth Sunday has to be the week before Easter?

In other words, Mother's Day is the Sunday BEFORE the Paschal Full Moon date!

Did I get it right???

Of course, this depends on knowing the PFM date.

cyclist
05-05-2004, 12:24 PM
So... I think this is a word problem....

Easter Sunday is the Sunday following the Paschal Full Moon (PFM) date for the year, (http://www.assa.org.au/edm.html#Method) and
Lent is the 40 days before Easter, (http://www.sundayschoollessons.com/lent.htm) and Mother's Day is the 4th Sunday in that?

So, the 40 days of Lent end on Easter Sunday. 40/7 = 5.714etc, so 5 full
weeks and 5 days. The 5 days don't reach back around to a Sunday, so the fourth Sunday has to be the week before Easter?

In other words, Mother's Day is the Sunday BEFORE the Paschal Full Moon
date!

Did I get it right???

Of course, this depends on knowing the PFM date.

I'm no expert in ecclesiastical calendars, but that doesn't work. Lent starts on Ash Wednesday so if Lent is 40 days then it would end on a Monday. This year Ash Wednesday was 25th Feb so Lent of 40 days would end on Monday 5 April. But I found a website that said:
"Lent is a forty-day period before Easter. It begins on Ash Wednesday. We skip Sundays when we count the forty days, because Sundays commemorate the Resurrection. Lent begins on 25 February 2004 and ends on 10 April 2004."
That does at least end at Easter.

The Church of England (and probably other churches too) calls the Sunday before Easter Palm Sunday. Palm Sunday is never the same day as UK Mother's day. This year UK Mothers' Day was 21st March, Palm Sunday was 4th April and Easter Sunday was 11th April. So there were 3 weeks between Easter and Mothers' Day. This year at least, it was 2 Sundays before the PFM date. I haven't got dates for other years to hand to verify for sure, but a gap of 3 weeks every year sounds right to me.

ctmagnus
05-05-2004, 08:42 PM
And then there're leap years to factor in as well. But February 29 was a Sunday this year anyway, so I guess the extra day didn't matter this time.