View Full Version : PPCW: "Another Reason Why I Enjoy Bluetooth That Much"

Janak Parekh
05-03-2004, 09:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.ppcw.net/index.php?itemid=1903' target='_blank'>http://www.ppcw.net/index.php?itemid=1903</a><br /><br /></div>"Maybe one of the most discussed technologies in the past years is/was Bluetooth and its value. Bluetooth seems to polarize - either you like it or you dislike it and while a lot of people (and even fellow MVPs) doesn't see a value in Bluetooth I continue to like it since my first Bluetooth experiences with an Ericsson R520. To make it clearer why I enjoy Bluetooth that much here a short retrospection why I bought my first Windows CE device (a Sharp Mobilon HC 4600 H/PC) in 1998."<br /><br />Arne goes on and talks about his experience deploying a Bluetooth AP and interoperating between several devices smoothly. He also talks about Windows XP SP2's Bluetooth networking technology, which looks very slick. While Bluetooth isn't completely trouble-free, it is becoming more readily available and, hopefully, XP SP2 will be a huge leap in its stability and user-friendliness. :)

Zack Mahdavi
05-03-2004, 09:10 PM
Earlier today, I was trying to set up my SE T610 to sync with Microsoft Outlook, and I failed. I couldn't figure out how to select categories to sync, and the XTNDConnect software kept locking up on me.

This is kind of sad... on my Mac, it literally took a mintue to get everything set up. You could select which categories to sync, etc, and iSync took care of everything else.

I used to think people were stupid when they said that Bluetooth was hard to set up, but now that I've seen how hard it is to set up on Windows XP, I can see why Bluetooth hasn't been that successful.

I'm really hoping Windows XP SP2 will fix these problems and make the bluetooth process as seamless as Mac OS X's.

djdj
05-03-2004, 09:35 PM
There do seem to be some issues with Bluetooth under XP. Rumor has it that SP2 will address a lot of this.

Personally I love Bluetooth with my cell phone. One of my favorite applications is the bluetooth speakerphone in my car. I just get in, turn the key, and the speakerphone connects wirelessly to my phone so I don't have to put it in a cradle; it just stays on my belt or in my pocket.

I also love wireless headsets. Until you've tried one you can't appreciate just how nice it is to not have a cord in the way.

And it's also nice to connect to the Internet from my laptop through my cell phone while on the road. No wires. Just double-click the shortcut on my desktop and I'm connected.

I have Bluetooth on my iPAQ but find I don't use it a ton. Mostly just to connect to the internet when no WiFi connection is available.

I don't really see how someone would not like freedom from wires.

djdj
05-03-2004, 09:38 PM
...the XTNDConnect software kept locking up on me.

The XTNDConnect software is next to worthless. Too buggy.

SeanH
05-03-2004, 10:36 PM
Bluetooth is great!!!!

I use the Nokia 6820 phone to connect to the IBM T41 every day for 200Kb internet access. The Nokia software suite is a great tool to sync Outlook appointments, contacts and todo’s with the phone. I have it set to sync every hour if the laptop is not in standby and the phone is within 30 ft of the laptop. Often it happens with my phone in the car and my laptop in my home office. I have never been a big fan of a camera in a phone or a PDA but I use it a lot. You can take snap shots or live video with the phone and watch it in seconds on the laptop with out wires. The phone shows up on My Computer just like the PPC. You can browse the directories on the phone over Bluetooth just like a PPC during Activsync. I do not have an ear piece or a car kit yet but its great there are so many to choose from.

I am still using an iPAQ 3650 and would love to upgrade to a PDA with Bluetooth. This is the list of feature I am looking for.

Microsoft PocketPC SE
An Intel CPU XScale CPU running at 520MHz
128MB RAM
64MB ROM
VGA 480x640 3.5” or 4.0” Display
WiFi
Bluetooth
1 SDIO slot no CF (CF makes a PDA to large)
And a form factor close to the iPAQ 4150

I will be the first one in line when someone starts shipping a device with those features.

Sean

alex_kac
05-03-2004, 10:42 PM
I have to agree. I love BT because of my Macs. I have my XDA II connected Via PocketMac /BT connected and synching in a few minutes. By contrast I can't get ANYTHING bt related to work on my Compaq laptop with built-in BT and XP.

blueserker
05-04-2004, 03:32 PM
I use an Apple at work and have all the Bluetooth bells and whistles up and running and love it.

At home I cheated and bought the Logitech Bluetooth keyboard and mouse (the cheap one). It provides its own implementation of Bluetooth that gets around the MS implementation and is almost as good as the Apple.

http://www.blueserker.com