View Full Version : PPC emulator?

zilla31
05-03-2004, 05:48 PM
if i want to emulate trial programs on my laptop before i install them on my PPC - is there an easy way? does PPC have an emulator like palm does that comes in a tidy package? help!

thanks.

Jacob
05-03-2004, 05:50 PM
I know MS provides an emulator with their VS.NET development tool.

I don't know if it's available seperately. You might want to search on the MSDN site for it just in case.

jmendels
07-20-2004, 05:28 AM
if i want to emulate trial programs on my laptop before i install them on my PPC - is there an easy way? does PPC have an emulator like palm does that comes in a tidy package? help!

thanks.
Ziilla-

Were you able to track down an emulator? I have lots of medical apps on my PDA that I'd really love to be able to run on my laptop as well.

Thanks,

Joseph

Kati Compton
07-20-2004, 05:59 AM
I know MS provides an emulator with their VS.NET development tool.

I don't know if it's available seperately. You might want to search on the MSDN site for it just in case.

I think that only works when you're debugging your code, as in, only works if you have the source code. I could be mis-remembering though. It was a couple years ago that I last looked at it.

Chucky
07-20-2004, 06:40 AM
Yes correct. Programs are compiled for a target CPU for maximum optimization and security. Java programs can be run on the laptop, however the vast vast majority (99+%) are compiled specifically for the ARM cpu.

So the short answer, is no you can't run your Pocket PC applications on your laptop. If it is important you could possibly email the software developer and ask them if they could compile an Intel 86 version of the program, however if the application requires ARM specific DLL's this is unlikely to happen (well its already unlikely as it is).

Janak Parekh
07-20-2004, 03:47 PM
I believe that VS .Net 2005 will come with a ARM-based Pocket PC emulator. Not sure what the cost will be, though. :( Probably not for "casual use".

--janak

Kowalski
07-21-2004, 10:04 AM
I think that only works when you're debugging your code, as in, only works if you have the source code. I could be mis-remembering though. It was a couple years ago that I last looked at it.
actually you can debug any application even if you dont have the source code. debugging will be in assembly level but you can trace the application if you know what you are doing.
its a little bit tricky but if someone is intrested, i can give instructions on debugging or running an application on emulator.

zilla, you can download and install embedded visual c++ 4.0 to run your programs on a windows xp machine. eVc is free, so you can give it a try.